1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SATA RAID questions

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by standinwave, May 12, 2006.

1. standinwave New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have two PCs. One has a fairly cheap ASUS mobo with an IDE drive running WINXP SP2 and two 160GB SATA drives in RAID 0 config 16k stripes. I have around 200GB of video on them. I also have an IC7 MAX3 mobo with two IDE drives, a Plextor IDE CDROM, three 200GB SATA drives RAID 0 (over 70% full) and a Plextor 712 DVD SATA, again on WinXP SP2. I have another two spare SATA plugs on Southbridge on the IC7MAX3 and I was wanting to move the two SATA drives first mentioned onto the second machine. There's no PSU issue (got 480W Tagan), but when I pressed CTRL I to set the array up on the second machine it thought the drives were 'new' and I wasn't about to wipe them, so I exited the setup and moved drives back (all OK). :)
    Question is - can I just move these drives? If so, how? Obviously, I don't want to lose any of the data!:eek:

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    no u cant
    youre second s-ata controller will always think that the hdds where new and will set up a new raid so u have to backup everything then create a new raid then u can play the datas new on the hdds

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. standinwave New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess the only good thing to come out of this will be I stopped BEFORE I created a new RAID set and messed it all up :toast:
    Better get some more blank DVDs!

10 Year Member at TPU