• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Say Goodbye to Tera, June 30th sunset date.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Never heard of it before this post, but the end of an era is always sad.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
I never tried Tera. I thought it might be interesting to try, but I was still into Aion at the time Tera launched. I dabbled with SWTOR for a little and I then went to Wildstar for a bit and that was about the last of MMORPGs for me.

Makes me wonder if Aion won't be following the same fate soon, I don't see these MMORPGs being as popular as they used to be, especially since there are so many options out there to occupy your time.

I actually liked the game, but eventually stopped playing altogether because there just wasn't enough active experienced players to do the higher level dungeons with. At that point progression stagnated and I couldn't really upgrade equipment or anything without doing those dungeons. I had one of those flying mounts, an orange Pteryx or something like that, which regenerated HPs for my Valkyrie.

Vindictus has the same problem, which I also stopped playing a while back. Not enough experienced players on when I'm online to do the tougher locations in order to progress. This is why I generally hate MMORPGs that cap the game in such a way so that you can't progress without relying on others. I guess its their way of encouraging you to drag other new players to the game.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
I only remember this game because of how practical the female armor seemed....

maxresdefault.jpg

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Never heard of it before this post, but the end of a Tera is always sad.
FTFY

Joke aside... this was a brutal money grab at the endgame, pay to win-infused too. But the whole progression before that was awesome, combat very dynamic, cool looking models, etc.

In addition there was a difference between the quality of loot on NA and EU servers. Overall a pretty badly managed MMO with a strong core.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed/-130mV undervolt'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
Soooo why don't they implement an offline patch?

I wish that was a thing, man I would totally play some of the already dead or dying MMOs in a single player offline mode with some tweaked rates/balance to support solo play fully.
All that development time and everything just goes down the drain when these games completely die, yeah I know private servers exist for a lot of MMOs but still.

Personally I never really got into Tera, tried it like 3 times during its life span but I couldn't stay for long and also the performance was really bad on my systems at the time. 'Yet another MMO with serious CPU utilization issues..'

Vindictus has the same problem, which I also stopped playing a while back. Not enough experienced players on when I'm online to do the tougher locations in order to progress. This is why I generally hate MMORPGs that cap the game in such a way so that you can't progress without relying on others. I guess its their way of encouraging you to drag other new players to the game.

I'm glad that I managed to play Vindi when it was in its prime/golden age on the West, that was my favourite MMO I ever played and still cant find a replacement for it. 'Combat/characters and the art style/design is top notch for my taste'
Played it for a good 7 years actively since the NA beta till the EU server opened then moved to play there, at the time it was easy to find parties or even good active guilds for daily raids + the game wasn't bloated with all kind of crap and even as a free2play player I could keep up just had to be active. 'I only ever spent money on cosmetics like inner armors/avatars and such'

I'm wondering when that game will also go down, I pretty much quited it ~2+ years ago but I logged on recently to test out my new CPU in that game and I barely saw any ppl online.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
I played this at release. I wasn't a fan but still sad to see them closing down.

I wish that was a thing, man I would totally play some of the already dead or dying MMOs in a single player offline mode with some tweaked rates/balance to support solo play fully.
All that development time and everything just goes down the drain when these games completely die, yeah I know private servers exist for a lot of MMOs but still.

Personally I never really got into Tera, tried it like 3 times during its life span but I couldn't stay for long and also the performance was really bad on my systems at the time. 'Yet another MMO with serious CPU utilization issues..'

I'm glad that I managed to play Vindi when it was in its prime/golden age on the West, that was my favourite MMO I ever played and still cant find a replacement for it. 'Combat/characters and the art style/design is top notch for my taste'
Played it for a good 7 years actively since the NA beta till the EU server opened then moved to play there, at the time it was easy to find parties or even good active guilds for daily raids + the game wasn't bloated with all kind of crap and even as a free2play player I could keep up just had to be active. 'I only ever spent money on cosmetics like inner armors/avatars and such'

I'm wondering when that game will also go down, I pretty much quited it ~2+ years ago but I logged on recently to test out my new CPU in that game and I barely saw any ppl online.
heh, some of the things you can do to the mobs in Vindictus was just hilarious. I really wanted to start playing again, but its just too dead and even on the monster system I have now, it would probably still run like crap(or not at all since I don't have integrated graphics) since its not optimized to take advantage of graphics card power(or at least it wasn't when I played it). I don't know how people were able to do boss raids in that game. I do recall that you're suppose to set it to single-core in the game settings since single-core speed generally determines how well that game runs; especially in boss fights with other players. At the time I was on an Alienware17 laptop that I got back in 2013, 16Gb RAM, cpu was some intel quad-core with a base speed of 2.4Ghz iirc, so it definitely wasn't the worst system to be playing it on.

Are they or have they done anything to improve the game engine itself so that its not as dependent on the CPU and can actually use a graphics card? They keep adding new characters, but beyond that it just doesn't seem like they're interested in improving the game itself.

FTFY

Joke aside... this was a brutal money grab at the endgame, pay to win-infused too. But the whole progression before that was awesome, combat very dynamic, cool looking models, etc.

In addition there was a difference between the quality of loot on NA and EU servers. Overall a pretty badly managed MMO with a strong core.
The loot sucked when I played it and trying to upgrade equipment once you hit the max level(I think it was lvl 65 when I was playing) was a pain. You could only do the dungeons a very limited number of times each day and it was, afaik, the only way to obtain the required material to upgrade stuff.

Soooo why don't they implement an offline patch?
My guess is that they no longer want to dump anymore resources into the game. Unless they're willing to have a team continue to work on the game to ensure compatibility/functionality, an offline patch would work until a Windows update or display driver update breaks it. Not to mention, most of the multiplayer dungeons would be impossible to complete.
There was suppose to be a new "Tera" type of game being developed by Bluehole Studios called Ascent: Infinite Realm, but then Bluehole was rebranded Krafton or something like that and the name of the game was changed to "Elyon - Ascent: Infinite Realm". Judging from the website: Elyon , it looks like a Tera clone. The classes appear to be almost exactly the same with slight name/skill variations.

I use to always joke about their name in Tera & call them "Butthole Studios + Inmyass Entertainment". :laugh:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
From what i hear about Elyon - It probably wont last very long. Back when Tera was released it was a very strong title but these days there is a lot of competition and there was supposedly some hype surrounding Elyon but apparently if you compare Elyon to Lost Ark - Lost Ark just looks better despite Elyon being made with the same engine.

Elyon seemed to have started out with a lot of potential & promises from the devs that got people hyped about its release but now it seems to fallen into another generic mmo category according to what im reading online. Im told that not that many people are playing Elyon compared to Tera when it first came out.

Its sad but this is one of the greatest things i like about NCsoft despite not getting on with GW2 that well. GW1 is run on the same servers as GW2 so there arent any extra overheads for them to keep the game running which is great for GW1 fans. GW1 is 17 years old. Its hard to believe that i've been playing it 16 years.

Never played Tera but i know a few people that abandoned GW1 to play Tera, LotRO and AION. Kept saying id give the game a go but never did.

Everything must eventually come to an end. Thats just how the world works.

I wonder if there will ever be a way to host private servers to keep the game alive like WoW & some of the older Ragnarok games.

From what i hear about Elyon - It probably wont last very long. Back when Tera was released it was a very strong title but these days there is a lot of competition and there was supposedly some hype surrounding Elyon but apparently if you compare Elyon to Lost Ark - Lost Ark just looks better despite Elyon being made with the same engine.

Elyon seemed to have started out with a lot of potential & promises from the devs that got people hyped about its release but now it seems to fallen into another generic mmo category according to what im reading online. Im told that not that many people are playing Elyon compared to Tera when it first came out.

Its sad but this is one of the greatest things i like about NCsoft despite not getting on with GW2 that well. GW1 is run on the same servers as GW2 so there arent any extra overheads for them to keep the game running which is great for GW1 fans. GW1 is 17 years old. Its hard to believe that i've been playing it 16 years.

Never played Tera but i know a few people that abandoned GW1 to play Tera, LotRO and AION. Kept saying id give the game a go but never did.

I wonder if there will ever be a way to host private servers to keep the game alive like WoW & some of the older Ragnarok games.
With all the company name changing & shuffling going on, its a wonder how they manage to keep these games going. The problem with a lot of online mmorpg games nowadays is 99% of them are "free to play". Without any kind of subscription requirement, the only form of income they can get to keep the game service & content creation going is via micro-transactions.

I also forgot to mention before, I noticed Elyon's most recent patch appeared to have quite a few nerfs. Must not be a very polished game or they're using the old bait & switch routine. They did that with the Valkyrie class in Tera.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed/-130mV undervolt'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
heh, some of the things you can do to the mobs in Vindictus was just hilarious. I really wanted to start playing again, but its just too dead and even on the monster system I have now, it would probably still run like crap(or not at all since I don't have integrated graphics) since its not optimized to take advantage of graphics card power(or at least it wasn't when I played it). I don't know how people were able to do boss raids in that game. I do recall that you're suppose to set it to single-core in the game settings since single-core speed generally determines how well that game runs; especially in boss fights with other players. At the time I was on an Alienware17 laptop that I got back in 2013, 16Gb RAM, cpu was some intel quad-core with a base speed of 2.4Ghz iirc, so it definitely wasn't the worst system to be playing it on.

Are they or have they done anything to improve the game engine itself so that its not as dependent on the CPU and can actually use a graphics card? They keep adding new characters, but beyond that it just doesn't seem like they're interested in improving the game itself.

Yep Vindi was a 100% single core/thread performance bound game, you could play that with a budget GPU just fine.
I played it on Phenom II system and a GTS 450/GTX 560 Ti/HD 7770/GTX 950 over the years when I was active, that Phenom was causing some serious fps drops when Season 2 hit so I switched to a 4th gen i3 4160 at the time and it made a day-night difference.
Basically I could host 8 ppl Raids while still having decent fps on my end, the R5 1600x I had since 2018 didn't do much better in that game for that very reason.

Btw Vindi is using Source engine, yes the one in Half Life 2 and CS.:laugh: 'Thats why it has such issues in the first place'
From what I noticed the last time I started it up like 2 months ago to try my 12100F in it, they have DX 11 implemented now pretty much like how Lost Ark also implemented DX11 that works great in that game.
If you ask me its too late and too little for Vindi but they did something.

On the topic of Elyon, I tried that game when it launched on STEAM and while it looked interesting it was kinda meh in overall so I droped it 'I also don't like forced PvP zones' + this one had rather bad performance too.
From what I hear/read the game is already kind of dying out and not many plays it.

Yep Vindi was a 100% single core/thread performance bound game, you could play that with a budget GPU just fine.
I played it on Phenom II system and a GTS 450/GTX 560 Ti/HD 7770/GTX 950 over the years when I was active, that Phenom was causing some serious fps drops when Season 2 hit so I switched to a 4th gen i3 4160 at the time and it made a day-night difference.
Basically I could host 8 ppl Raids while still having decent fps on my end, the R5 1600x I had since 2018 didn't do much better in that game for that very reason.

Btw Vindi is using Source engine, yes the one in Half Life 2 and CS.:laugh: 'Thats why it has such issues in the first place'
From what I noticed the last time I started it up like 2 months ago to try my 12100F in it, they have DX 11 implemented now pretty much like how Lost Ark also implemented DX11 that works great in that game.
If you ask me its too late and too little for Vindi but they did something.

On the topic of Elyon, I tried that game when it launched on STEAM and while it looked interesting it was kinda meh in overall so I droped it 'I also don't like forced PvP zones' + this one had rather bad performance too.
From what I hear/read the game is already kind of dying out and not many plays it.
Hmm... I might have to download & install Vindictus on my new system then at some point. Not sure how it will work with this 24-core threadripper at 1440p resolution. Single-core speeds are decent enough I would guess. Currently playing through Bard's Tale IV for the first time & waiting on Frontlines mode in World of Tanks.

I don't like forced pvp zones either. Chances are, the game makes it necessary to travel through those areas to reach objectives. Its not fun getting jumped by 4 or more players.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Heh yeah i still pop into GW2 from time to time and its enjoyable every time. Grind some things, do some pvp, try a few builds... most of the gameplay is just very acceptable and it had a lot of nice features... the way mounts are done in GW2 is absolutely brilliant, and combat works well.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I don't think I ever got past level 8 in Tera, can't remember. I do remember it having interesting graphics and interesting combat.

My guess is that they no longer want to dump anymore resources into the game.
They could hand it off to a third party dev for one last hurrah and patch that make the game playable single player or just over LAN. That kind of patching would be dead simple and they could release the in game assets as an installable download.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
They could hand it off to a third party dev for one last hurrah and patch that make the game playable single player or just over LAN. That kind of patching would be dead simple and they could release the in game assets as an installable download.
Saga of Ryzom sent their server software to open source land when they closed up. Was a good idea, not sure if anything happened with it though...