• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Scientific Research in VR from UCSF

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Proudly introducing the UCSF VR for research initiative. It has been going on for a while now. Finally have enough applications in both research and education that I think can be posted here. Technically this fits in other 2 forum sections as well, science&tech as well as programming.

Anyway here it is

Mission statements:

We are developing new, cutting-edge methods for the visualization and analysis of molecules and cells using virtual reality (VR) technology for analyzing important experimental data. These novel methods will have significant impact in our understanding of important aspects of structural biology, including drug design, the functioning of complex molecular machinery, and basic cellular properties such as motility. We aim to bring VR into routine use in labs at UCSF, with suitable analysis problems in cryoEM and light microscopy, and to advance VR capabilities for analyzing ligand-receptor interactions. This work will pioneer the way so that other research labs at UCSF can more easily adopt this technology.

And some video show casing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSMFYKIij58

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Please make sure they upgrade to the G2 Reverb, I imagine scientists could really benefit from the higher resolution. I don't know though just imo

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Please make sure they upgrade to the G2 Reverb, I imagine scientists could really benefit from the higher resolution. I don't know though just imo

It is gonna be hard to budget that in a grant haha.

Grant reviewer: I see you requested funds for 10 RTX 3090 and 5 Reverb G2, what are you using it for?
PI: Ehhhh research?
Grant reviewer: Are you sure about that?

Most of these headset companies requires we purchase their "business edition" when the purchasing order if from a research university. That along jacks up the price by quite a lot. For biomedical labs we actually HAVE to get these special edition VR HMD. Not because they have better resolution, but the built in security is stronger so to speak.

Privately, many research labs just buy consumer version with personal funds and bring it to lab for use.