• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Screen goes crazy, system still functional.

Problem started acting up today. It seems to be when I click on a video and it is about to start, either locally or online. The start of media basically triggers it (so far). I just got the card a few months ago, and I've seen random screens like this once in a while. I haven't messed with the card settings at all. The second screen I have hooked up still shows fine, which makes no sense, and I can even continue using it on the second monitor. Only thing that fixes it is shutting down - if I unhook the first monitor, the messed up image goes to the second monitor.

Pic:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Given what you said, it's not a cable or the monitor. Have you tried reseating the card?

System Name Chaos
Processor Intel Core i5 4590K @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 + MX4
Memory 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 GT/s CL11
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1070 Dual @ stock
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750 Platinum
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro (MX Red)
Which interface(s) are you using? 2xDVI, 2xVGA or a mix?

I'll try reseating the card but considering it was working fine throughout games, movies, and general use up until a random point today I highly doubt that will solve anything. I am also on the latest drivers (upgraded after this happened) and same thing, so drivers are (likely) ruled out.

One HDMI to DVI and a DVI to VGA.

System Name Chaos
Processor Intel Core i5 4590K @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 + MX4
Memory 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 GT/s CL11
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1070 Dual @ stock
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750 Platinum
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro (MX Red)
I was wondering if it was a RAMDAC issue, but since the monitor on the digital output (HDMI -> DVI) goes out first, that just about eliminates the possibility. Perhaps a clockgen is to blame? It most probably is the culprit. Do you run your displays at 60Hz? Could you try setting one or both to 59Hz?

In Windows properties, both were set for 60hz. No options in the drop down box to go to 59hz. ATI Catalyst says it detected them at 75hz, so not sure which it is running at. I'd assume 60 though.