• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Screen trim/chop ...

System Name APEX - PREDATOR
Processor Intel Core i7 7700K
Motherboard ROG Maximus lX Apex
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 280mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C16D-16GTZR 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
Storage Samsung 960 PRO NVMe M.2 512GB SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator XB1 27inch WQHD IPS
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Black Airflow Edition ATX
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX audio technology S1220A codec
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W Modular Power Supply
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Tunable Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 Stealth Edition Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Win 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores UserBenchmarks: PC Performing way above expectations (86th percentile)
Hi all ! Occasionally when l start my PC , l can see a ribbon of color , about 2 mm wide, on the whole height of my screen, sometimes on the left side other times on the right. Didn't take long to notice that it is an actual slice of the center of the screen being cut and moved to the outer edge of the monitor . Has anyone else encountered this oddity and found the reason and "cure" for it ? I have to reboot to get things back to normal.
I took screenshots of the anomaly but it does not show in the pic. Weird or What ?

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Hi all ! Occasionally when l start my PC , l can see a ribbon of color , about 2 mm wide, on the whole height of my screen, sometimes on the left side other times on the right. Didn't take long to notice that it is an actual slice of the center of the screen being cut and moved to the outer edge of the monitor . Has anyone else encountered this oddity and found the reason and "cure" for it ? I have to reboot to get things back to normal.
I took screenshots of the anomaly but it does not show in the pic. Weird or What ?

Have a read at these trouble shooting options to at least try to identify where the cause is:

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/fix-vertical-lines-computer-screen-70710.html

1. Power down the computer and unplug all peripherals. If you are using a laptop, take its battery out by flipping it upside down and sliding the battery release latch. Press and hold the power button for 15 or 20 seconds to clear all residual power from the system. Some of the computer’s power might have been transmitting to the monitor, causing it to short out. Reconnect everything and turn the system back on to see if the lines are gone.

2. Unplug the monitor from the back of the computer and wait a few seconds until it displays a message “No signal.” If the no signal message also has vertical lines, you know the problem is in the monitor and not in your computer. Press the “Menu” button on the screen and then use the other buttons to browse for a “Factory Settings” mode. Select this mode to reset the monitor to its original settings. If the lines persist, the monitor may have been dropped or exposed to a magnet -- which can’t be fixed.

3. Reconnect and turn the computer back on. Look for the lines at boot up: if you see lines before Windows loads, the problem is either with the video card, the video connection cable -- whether HDMI or VGA -- or the monitor itself. If the lines only appear in Windows, the problem is a Windows setting -- most likely the refresh rate. Right-click on the Desktop once Windows loads and choose “Screen Resolution.” Click “Advanced Settings,” “Monitor,” and then lower the refresh rate to see if the lines disappear.

System Name APEX - PREDATOR
Processor Intel Core i7 7700K
Motherboard ROG Maximus lX Apex
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 280mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C16D-16GTZR 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
Storage Samsung 960 PRO NVMe M.2 512GB SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator XB1 27inch WQHD IPS
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Black Airflow Edition ATX
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX audio technology S1220A codec
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W Modular Power Supply
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Tunable Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 Stealth Edition Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Win 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores UserBenchmarks: PC Performing way above expectations (86th percentile)
Thanks , for reply . The article mentioned talks about vertical lines - l don't have that issue , but , the center of my screen is being chopped , cut and placed (occasionally ) to the sides of the monitor... and l don't have to go through all those procedures to fix it - just a reboot and is back to the way it should be .

Last edited: