1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate to Debut Momentus 5400 FDE.2 Hard Drives

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Oct 30, 2006.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Beginning early next year, Seagate Technology LLC will ship its first widely available hard drives with built-in hardware- and software-based content protection technology. Called "Drive Trust," the security platform can prevent unauthorized access to data stored on the drive. The first drive to offer Drive Trust is Seagate's DB35 series, which is primarily used in digital video recorders. In the first quarter of 2007, Seagate will add a Drive Trust version of its 2.5" Momentus 5400 FDE notebook hard drive. The Momentus 5400 FDE.2 (Full Disk Encryption 2) will include a special encryption chip that will make it impossible for anyone to read data off the disk, or even boot up a PC, without some form of authentication. Designed for laptop computers, the 2.5-in., 5,400-rpm drive will come with a storage capacity of 80GB, 120GB or 160GB.

Source: THG, [H]ard|OCP

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Firedomain

Firedomain New Member

Thanks Received:
    hang on.....
    dosn't this mean that if my laptop blew up then my files would be locked up 4eva?!?!

im sure there'd be some way to access these files... but what i've read so far i've found no mention of it.

just this "authentication" chip wich i'd be guessing would be hardwired into my laptop.....

10 Year Member at TPU