• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate & Western Digital Increase HDD Production to Meet Chia Demand

The demand for HDDs has increased significantly due to Chia cryptocurrency mining in recent times causing major shortages and increasing retail prices. Seagate and Western Digital are increasing the production of their high-capacity HDD models by increasing the utilization rate on existing production lines in an attempt to satisfy this demand. The companies have limited options to increase production in the short-term due to bulk contracts for 60% - 70% of total production and neither company plans to construct new factories in the immediate future. The total global storage capacity allocated to Chia mining has recently surpassed 20 Exabytes up from 1 Exabyte in April and doesn't show any signs of stopping. The shortages look set to continue with both companies happy to monitor the situation and take advantage of the increased demand before deciding on future expansion plans in the coming years.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
I frickin' hate it. Another crypto just to raise the prices of hardware and consume (or rather waste) an astounding amount of energy to mine it...

I'm not againts cryptocurrencies per se, but the way they are produced is just plain wrong.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
On the bright side: At least storage OEMs aren't shying from openly embracing the new demand, instead of dabbling in creative accounting to hide new profits as gaming ones. -_-

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Chia or XCH is going down week by week. Is it still viable??

I frickin' hate it. Another crypto just to raise the prices of hardware and consume (or rather waste) an astounding amount of energy to mine it...

I'm not againts cryptocurrencies per se, but the way they are produced is just plain wrong.
Is just a bubble, as soon as its over, they will be forced to reduce the price due to oversupply. ;)

System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
Is just a bubble, as soon as its over, they will be forced to reduce the price due to oversupply. ;)
More like the market will be flooded with used GPUs cause miners will dump their (now useless) cards, causing the prices to drop significantly.

I'm more annoyed by things that are irreversibly lost - mainly the energy wasted.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
and after vga card getting rare and rare, now hdd

Chia or XCH is going down week by week. Is it still viable??

They have issues with the smart contracts and hence, pools. Guys are behind schedule.

More like the market will be flooded with used GPUs cause miners will dump their (now useless) cards, causing the prices to drop significantly.

I'm more annoyed by things that are irreversibly lost - mainly the energy wasted.
Energy is never wasted. It only transformed and transferred.

deKev

Totally agreed. There's nothing wrong with cryptocurrencies per se, at least for those that offer genuine fintech innovation. Rather, it is the money-grabbing desire of ordinary people and corporations alike that is causing all the problems: hardware shortage, rising hardware cost, environment impact, facilitating illicit trade ...

And CHIA, despite its commendable raison d'etre which is green money for the digital world, is unfortunately following the footsteps of all the not-so-eco-friendly coins that it is designed to replace. But I get it, CHIA has simplified the mining process and lowered the barrier to entry even further than its forbears, so now it's just a simple matter of downloading an app to your computer that has some spare storage space, click a few buttons, and voila, free money! So simple even your granny could do it!

IMHO, cryptocurrencies won't go away any time soon, and many, many more will join the fray. So it's almost inevitable that the relatively cheap and affordable hardware that you have been enjoying, well, enjoy them for a bit longer, because another coin will surely come along, with another hardware component its target ...

SupplyChainDestroyer.exe
TotallyLegitCurrency.dll
LaundryService.xml
GetRichQuick.doc
OIP.jpg

System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise
Should we even care about spinning rust in 2021? It's an obsolete technology for gaming at least as they are way too slow to be practical. At least spinning rust has some uses before it becomes tech dinosaur.

deKev

Should we even care about spinning rust in 2021? It's an obsolete technology for gaming at least as they are way too slow to be practical. At least spinning rust has some uses before it becomes tech dinosaur.
We shouldn't care because data centers store their data in... air? Yes, that's the the same sort of data centers that enable online gaming and even enable you to view this page.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
We shouldn't care because data centers store their data in... air? Yes, that's the the same sort of data centers that enable online gaming and even enable you to view this page.
You can store this website at your own house if you want. It's not that big and should fit on several hard drives. RAID 10 them and boom TPU server. And considering how woefully inadequate hard drives are, aren't they getting a bit too slow for data center usage? Also wouldn't be those access times way too low anyway?

deKev

You can store this website at your own house if you want. It's not that big and should fit on several hard drives. RAID 10 them and boom TPU server. And considering how woefully inadequate hard drives are, aren't they getting a bit too slow for data center usage? Also wouldn't be those access times way too low anyway?
Data centers make use of a combination of SSDs and HDDs: SSD for the more time-critical stuff, and spinning rust as you called them, for storing the bulk of their data. But I get it, hard drives are by far the poorer performer in almost every metric, apart from sheer capacity and arguably longevity (think TBW). But unless SSDs can match HDDs in these two metrics, while not costing more per TB in capacity too, then spinning rust will be with us for a long, long time yet.

Think of it like this: everyone these days has phones, tablets, laptops, PCs and smart TVs, so why do we still need paper, which is centuries-old tech?

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Data centers make use of a combination of SSDs and HDDs: SSD for the more time-critical stuff, and spinning rust as you called them, for storing the bulk of their data. But I get it, hard drives are by far the poorer performer in almost every metric, apart from sheer capacity and arguably longevity (think TBW). But unless SSDs can match HDDs in these two metrics, while not costing more per TB in capacity too, then spinning rust will be with us for a long, long time yet.
If you tried to play CS:GO and load it from hard drive, it can take as long at 4 minutes after match has started. It's getting useless, even if you could accept lower performance. It's not much more left, when they are so slow that they won't be enough for anything. It will be the end for HDDs, when their speed will be too low to play video files properly and considering 4K video files and their high bitrate, that will come really soon. SSDs are still too expensive to truly replace spinning rust, but I wouldn't imagine buying a new computer with hard drive either. With games getting so big, it will take a lot of time to load games. CS:GO isn't a big game and it still takes way too long to load.

Think of it like this: everyone these days has phones, tablets, laptops, PCs and smart TVs, so why do we still need paper, which is centuries-old tech?
Tradition and laggards, but this analogy is very poor, because you talk about switch from analog non computer format to binary and digital format. Floppy disks, CDs, zip disks, they all became obsolete and are gone from mainstream usage. Besides cheap and big storage, it's the end for spinning rust. At least you can keep using them until they die from mining, so it's not useless e-waste.

deKev

If you tried to play CS:GO and load it from hard drive, it can take as long at 4 minutes after match has started. It's getting useless, even if you could accept lower performance. It's not much more left, when they are so slow that they won't be enough for anything. It will be the end for HDDs, when their speed will be too low to play video files properly and considering 4K video files and their high bitrate, that will come really soon. SSDs are still too expensive to truly replace spinning rust, but I wouldn't imagine buying a new computer with hard drive either. With games getting so big, it will take a lot of time to load games. CS:GO isn't a big game and it still takes way too long to load.

Tradition and laggards, but this analogy is very poor, because you talk about switch from analog non computer format to binary and digital format. Floppy disks, CDs, zip disks, they all became obsolete and are gone from mainstream usage. Besides cheap and big storage, it's the end for spinning rust. At least you can keep using them until they die from mining, so it's not useless e-waste.
Oh definitely, if gaming and loading times are all one cares about. I'm sure there's a world of usage possibilities for hard drives other than gaming, I dunno, maybe I'm just too old to keep up. Speaking of old, I believe magnetic tape drives are still being used today (because of their security and durability), wonder what the loading times for your favorite games will be on them, haha.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Oh definitely, if gaming and loading times are all one cares about. I'm sure there's a world of usage possibilities for hard drives other than gaming, I dunno, maybe I'm just too old to keep up. Speaking of old, I believe magnetic tape drives are still being used today (because of their security and durability), wonder what the loading times for your favorite games will be on them, haha.
Well I haven't touched my hard drive only computer until a week ago. It was super slow and it has Athlon 760K, GTX 650 Ti and Toshiba P300 1TB drive. One year ago I thought it was fine, but after using SSD only system exclusively, it became clear to me that it's the end for hard drives. And you still defend the spinning rust, despite me stating that it's so bad that you miss half of match. And if you mention tape drives, they are very dead to consumer. LTO drives are only good for enterprise backups and they are only good if you can manage to store data in big chunks, otherwise their seek times are awful.

deKev

Well I haven't touched my hard drive only computer until a week ago. It was super slow and it has Athlon 760K, GTX 650 Ti and Toshiba P300 1TB drive. One year ago I thought it was fine, but after using SSD only system exclusively, it became clear to me that it's the end for hard drives. And you still defend the spinning rust, despite me stating that it's so bad that you miss half of match. And if you mention tape drives, they are very dead to consumer. LTO drives are only good for enterprise backups and they are only good if you can manage to store data in big chunks, otherwise their seek times are awful.
Hey, that's just the point I've been trying to make, you just made it better, LOL. Every drive has their use, gamers on SSDs for their speed, data centers on their HDDs for their cheap capacity, and enterprises backing up on their tape drives for their security. Just because you don't use hard drives does not make them obsolete outright, does it? And after all that, you better be on NVMe Gen4 SSD, my friend, haha.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Hey, that's just the point I've been trying to make, you just made it better, LOL. Every drive has their use, gamers on SSDs for their speed, data centers on their HDDs for their cheap capacity, and enterprises backing up on their tape drives for their security. Just because you don't use hard drives does not make them obsolete outright, does it? And after all that, you better be on NVMe Gen4 SSD, my friend, haha.
For some reason they are still sold to consumers, so no companies don't think that they aren't good enough for something yet and for computers they unfortunately are becoming. And my argument about tapes, didn't make your point better, as no consumer can easily buy either tapes or readers and consumers don't use them as they would be infuriatingly impractical. Also LTO tapes were never intended to be used at home, meanwhile consumer hard drives are.

The biggest advantage of SSD isn't just sequential reads or writes, but very low access times and IOPS, that was the biggest factor why SSDs got so successful and that's why NVMe 4 won't be a truly meaningful technology. Not to mention that Windows itself is a big SSD bottleneck.

deKev

Got it, older techs are all beneath you, while techs newer than yours are 'not meaningful'.

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Energy is never wasted. It only transformed and transferred.

But it can be transformed into a state that's less useful for poor reasons. The chemical energy transformed in an oil well fire still exists as thermal energy, but it would have been much more useful if it been used to heat a home or run an engine, rather than released directly without any tangible benefit.

But it can be transformed into a state that's less useful for poor reasons. The chemical energy transformed in an oil well fire still exists as thermal energy, but it would have been much more useful if it been used to heat a home or run an engine, rather than released directly without any tangible benefit.
Usefulness is human concept. To the universe we live in it's all the same.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Chia doesn't use a lot of energy at all...

Then Chia is not the coin to be mad at.

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Got it, older techs are all beneath you, while techs newer than yours are 'not meaningful'.
Dude, I own quite a bit of hard drives, even 10k rpm Raptor.