• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Searching for a good usb audio card to fix mic noise

Zahroxx

So I recently got a HyperX Cloud, the one with 3.5mm audio jack. I get very loud noise from the mic when i connect it to my laptop. But I got no noise if i record my voice from my phone. After a bit of research I found that an usb audio card can fix the problem, possibly because of grounding issues. But then, there is a lot of option for usb sound card. Any recommendation for a good and cheap one? Also if you have any other solution please share with me too.
Thanks!!!

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Yeah ground loops can be a pain. With laptops sometimes if you switch to battery only or vise versa the noise will go away.

Depending on the actual source of the noise usb may not solve your problem. If you get one, get it somewhere with an easy return policy. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesnt.

Personally if its just on the mic and not all of your output id try simply gating it out. Thats just me though... dealing with lots of unbalanced instruments and amps that are inherently noisy. If you cant hear it over your voice then noise gating works really well. Depends on what youre recording for.

Probably have a bunch more to add when im home. Ton of things you can try.

Zahroxx

Yeah ground loops can be a pain. With laptops sometimes if you switch to battery only or vise versa the noise will go away.

Depending on the actual source of the noise usb may not solve your problem. If you get one, get it somewhere with an easy return policy. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesnt.

Personally if its just on the mic and not all of your output id try simply gating it out. Thats just me though... dealing with lots of unbalanced instruments and amps that are inherently noisy. If you cant hear it over your voice then noise gating works really well. Depends on what youre recording for.

Probably have a bunch more to add when im home. Ton of things you can try.

Sorry for the late reply. Apparently yahoo decided that TechPowerUp email is spam. What do you mean by "gating"?