1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seasonic Platinum Series Fanless 460 W

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by crmaris, Feb 22, 2013.

1. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
    Seasonic upgraded their smaller fanless units with the new KM3 platform. Not only does it offer better performance than the KM2 platform, but it also offers the highly sought after Platinum efficiency certification. Today, we will take a look at the fresh fanless unit with 460 W capacity and Platinum efficiency.

To read this review go to: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Seasonic/SS-460FL_V2/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
    m1dg3t, natr0n, heky and 2 others say thanks.
  2. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Very nice review! I just don't know if I could ever get my self to feel safe using a fanless power supply. Hopefully in a few months Platinum PSU's will go down in price.

Also Crmaris is their a rating after Platinum? I know for other things (not computers) it goes Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Executive but that wouldn't sound right. Maybe Diamond lol.

EDIT: I looked around I guess it's Titanium. Though need 230 VAC.
    How long do you think it will be till we get 90+ White, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Titanium? I was thinking maybe 5+ years.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  3. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
    Yeap it's Titanium which however isn't in effect yet.

4. mechtech

mechtech

Thanks Received:
    Nice review crmaris.

Did you notice any mid/high frequency pitch noise? I just installed one of these in my system last week and it is the loudest thing in my PC, I can hear it from 4 ft away (1200mm)

I tried some bios settings as suggested by silent pc review (from seasonic) and tried 'breaking in' the unit by letting run at various loads all week to 100% PC load for 24 hrs.
    spcr also had issues with noise on the 520W, until the 3rd unit.
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/Seasonic_520W_Platinum_Fanless_Sample_3

Kind of a bummer after shelling out this money and getting a psu as the loudest thing in my case and a very annoying sound at that.

I might have to try to get an RMA and put the old seasonic m12II500 back in, as it was dead silent even with the fan.
    sigh...........

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
    I noticed a high pitch noise only in absolute no load operation (while the PSU was on of course), which is an unrealistic scenario for a normal system where even a minimum load always exists. At low/normal loads my sample didn't make any noises.

6. efahl

Thanks Received:
    That was going to be my question, but you've answered it... Do a search for "seasonic coil whine" and you'll find a lot (I'd say too many) of comments about Seasonic PSUs making noises they shouldn't.

7. mechtech

mechtech

Thanks Received:

Indeed, maybe they should start getting coils and the rest of the parts from Japan also.

Going to apply for an RMA for mine now, if not I guess I have a 150$ paper weight

10 Year Member at TPU