• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seasonic to launch a successor to its popular Focus Plus PSUs with the new Focus PX and GX

" The newly upgraded FOCUS PX and GX series are the successor to the FOCUS PLUS Series, which became an instant the top seller in the power supply market after its launch in 2017. In 2019, Seasonic engineers have made improvements on the popular series, removing the inline capacitors on the supplied cables. Besides the small change in the series naming, the PSU housing and its packaging are also updated to be in line with the concept of the OneSeasonic Initiative "

I Found this randomly while browsing google images for the focus gold, apparently this was unveiled last month yet hardly saw nobody talking about it. it is available on sale at certain regions in Europe. Keep this news in mind next time you recommend someone a new seasonic power supply.

Also it seems Seasonic's current product such as the PRIME ULTRA are about to go trough some name changes https://seasonic.com/oneseasonic

Last edited:

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
"which became an instant the top seller in the power supply market "

Not a surprise, these are great quality and aren't expensive. Happy with my 750W model. But I've been wondering for a while now, what's so bad with cable capacitors? Jonnyguru and TPU seem to put that as a con.

"which became an instant the top seller in the power supply market "

Not a surprise, these are great quality and aren't expensive. Happy with my 750W model. But I've been wondering for a while now, what's so bad with cable capacitors? Jonnyguru and TPU seem to put that as a con.
People dislike them cause they make cables bulkier and hard to route which can be hassle when working on anything but a standard ATX case, other than that they are there to further help with ripple suppression. Thing is, power supplies have advanced so much in recent years that they are unneeded anymore so seeing them in 2019 dos not set right for some people

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
People dislike them cause they make cables bulkier and hard to route which can be hassle when working on anything but a standard ATX case, other than that they are there to further help with ripple suppression. Thing is, power supplies have advanced so much in recent years that they are unneeded anymore so seeing them in 2019 dos not set right for some people
Kinda understandable, but they still have some benefits with them.

Use sleeved extensions like I do, dammit! :D

Kinda understandable, but they still have some benefits with them.

Use sleeved extensions like I do, dammit! :D
I made a thread discussing about why in cable caps are disliked today, you can find out more why that is in the replies :)

TLDR: Peeps just hate them for the added bulk and the trouble of routing the cables in tight spaces

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃B550-I Strix
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lone Industries L5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
Seasonic retains the in-cable capacitors because it helps them get 10s in performance with reviewers like oklahomawolf. OW's scoring criteria has always been so strict that nothing short of perfect will actually get a perfect score. The reason it doesn't matter for regular folks is because on Seasonic's midrange to high end units, their performance is already mindblowing without the caps. Swap them out for a set of full MDPC/para sleeved cables to your heart's content.

There are plenty of other products from other manufacturers and OEMs out there that employ inline caps in their Techflex sleeved cables, which definitely don't live up to the performance standards of Seasonic's Focus Plus, XM and KM. In those cases, ripple can be a very different story.

But at the end of the day, many of the reputable old breed PSU reviewers apply very strict standards that don't necessarily translate to real-world gains for regular people. There are certainly a lot of SKUs I wouldn't trust to support something like a volt-happy 4790K and 290X CF that draw wattage near the limits of their 12V rail rating, but most of the ones we can buy from large manufacturers aren't the kind to burn down our house, and for the vast majority of builders, they'll be "good enough". Which makes Seasonics without inline caps already way past the point of "good enough".

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
other than that they are there to further help with ripple suppression.
And affects from EMI/RFI.

However...
but they still have some benefits with them.
But typically only on paper. That is, the vast majority of users will never benefit from them because the supplies already provide excellent ripple suppression which is further suppressed by the filtering and regulating circuits on the motherboards, expansion cards and other connected devices. And EMI/RFI (interference) from other nearby devices (microwave ovens, TVs, etc.) "should" already be suppressed by those devices. But if not (which would indicate a fault in those devices), such spurious EMI/RFI emanations are typically and already properly suppressed/blocked by our cases. This is even more true when our computers are plugged into properly wired (and grounded) wall outlets - as they all should be.

So those caps really just benefit the PSU maker as marketing fodder and slightly better scores in product reviews (which again is used for marketing fodder).

Space Lynx

Astronaut
these PSU's have been in stock for two weeks now off and on... this article is already outdated :D

these PSU's have been in stock for two weeks now off and on... this article is already outdated :D
But where Is the press release announcement ?

You could buy the old model not knowing there is a new updated version is coming soon/released

As of now it is only being sold in select retailers in the UK only and hardly found any official listing for the new psus in the us

My guess is instead of rendering the current focus and prime PSUs outdated, they're waiting for the shelfs to be sold out so that they'll supply the new versions in the new batch then make an announcement. In the second link you can see that the new version were supposedly released in Q2 this year, however we're entering Q4 yet nobody heard anything.

I'v found out about this in reddit of all places

Space Lynx

Astronaut
But where Is the press release announcement ?

You could buy the old model not knowing there is a new updated version is coming soon/released

As of now it is only being sold in select retailers in the UK only and hardly found any official listing for the new psus in the us

My guess is instead of rendering the current focus and prime PSUs outdated, they're waiting for the shelfs to be sold out so that they'll supply the new versions in the new batch then make an announcement. In the second link you can see that the new version were supposedly released in Q2 this year, however we're entering Q4 yet nobody heard anything.

I'v found out about this in reddit of all places

oh I wasn't picking on you or anything, due to the tariffs trump put in place these psu's are a bit too pricey imo. im going to wait for a sale myself

Any good reviews of these PSUs? Im looking to buy one. I only found some korean site but there was no transient load testing, and without this info i cant really decide.

Any good reviews of these PSUs? Im looking to buy one. I only found some korean site but there was no transient load testing, and without this info i cant really decide.
There is no reviews for the new Focus power supplies unfortunately, must be under an embargo since these units have been ready since Q2 this year yet seasonic imo are waiting for the current Focus plus to be sold out across the board then go full swing with announcements and reviews to shed light for its successor .

I wouldn't be worried about no reviews really, this is suppose to be an upgraded, and improved platform from the one we have right now so performance wise it should be slightly better. If you managed to find it at MSRP price or close to it then go for it :)

There is no reviews for the new Focus power supplies unfortunately, must be under an embargo since these units have been ready since Q2 this year yet seasonic imo are waiting for the current Focus plus to be sold out across the board then go full swing with announcements and reviews to shed light for its successor .

I wouldn't be worried about no reviews really, this is suppose to be an upgraded, and improved platform from the one we have right now so performance wise it should be slightly better. If you managed to find it at MSRP price or close to it then go for it :)
Do you know other quiet PSUs in that price range? I think dark power/straight power or corsair rmx, but they are slightly more expensive.

Do you know other quiet PSUs in that price range? I think dark power/straight power or corsair rmx, but they are slightly more expensive.
Well, Fractal Design recently released their new ION+ Platinum power supplies which scored fantastically in all reviews across the board and is using Fractal's own in house designed dynamic fan which is a large 140mm quality fan made for quiet operation and long life, it is a platinum efficiency rated PSU that is priced as most gold rated efficiency power supplies so its a very good price\performance PSU and should on your which list

I would also vouch for the Corsair RMx 2018 edition, just like the ION+ it is among the quietest PSU you can buy today and is also equipped with quality fan, so if you were not able to find the ION+ then i would recommend the RMx 2018 edition. If you want to know if the RMx your seeing is the 2018 edition first it is a smaller 160mm in length than the previous model AND the warranty on the 2018 model is 10 years instead of the 7 years of the old model, you could easily see the warranty sticker on the box

Both of the PSU i mentioned above come with semi passive fan mode

Last edited:
System Name Revenge of the Strix
Processor Ryzen 5800x3d
Motherboard Asus Strix-e x570
Cooling Corsair H150i pro xt
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz CL14
Video Card(s) Red Devil 7900xtx
Storage Adata S50 1tb gen4 - WD Black 1tb gen3 - Seagate2tb SSHD - WD 2tb
Display(s) Dell G3223Q
Case Asus Helios
Audio Device(s) X-fi + Bose Companion 50
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX 750w
Mouse Asus Pugio II
Keyboard Asus Falchion
Software Windows 11
good morning, i bought and cancel order weeks ago.169$+65 taxes is too much.

System Name Revenge of the Strix
Processor Ryzen 5800x3d
Motherboard Asus Strix-e x570
Cooling Corsair H150i pro xt
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz CL14
Video Card(s) Red Devil 7900xtx
Storage Adata S50 1tb gen4 - WD Black 1tb gen3 - Seagate2tb SSHD - WD 2tb
Display(s) Dell G3223Q
Case Asus Helios
Audio Device(s) X-fi + Bose Companion 50
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX 750w
Mouse Asus Pugio II
Keyboard Asus Falchion
Software Windows 11
i've ordered focus gx gold 750w yesterday.more tolerable price and i'm not seasonic's beta tester.prime has design error and it cause shut down.new px series have new design but no one tested it.

Kryo_O

My focus gx 650w just arrived today. Everything seems good so far

My focus gx 650w just arrived today. Everything seems good so far
Awesome! Glad i shed light to you about the new updated model :)

i've ordered focus gx gold 750w yesterday.more tolerable price and i'm not seasonic's beta tester.prime has design error and it cause shut down.new px series have new design but no one tested it.
Well, you'v bought a new platform that has no reviews so you'r technically beta testing haha :D Jokes aside with the solid performance of the Focus plus am confident Seasonic have ironed the platform even better with the new GX and PX so i would not worry about that

One other thing is that, just like the Focus plus gold and platinum, the new GX and PX have the same internal layout and circuit board, its just some of the primary components on the PX are rated at higher effeminacy

Kryo_O

I can't honestly hear the psu at all, mainly because I already have 5 fans and a beefy gpu. The psu fan doesn't even spin until it reaches 30% load.

Problem with seasonic focus plus/gx is that it doesnt kick high rpm until >80% load. If you never exceeded that then the PSU is very quiet. Its a great quiet choice for those who dont skimp on the PSU and use it at max 80% load.

Problem with seasonic focus plus/gx is that it doesnt kick high rpm until >80% load. If you never exceeded that then the PSU is very quiet. Its a great quiet choice for those who dont skimp on the PSU and use it at max 80% load.
So how's that a problem ? o_O

Most quality PSUs can deliver full rated wattage at 47c - 50c :)

miuen4o

Newbie question. I'm looking to buy a more high end psu, since the last one I bought was quite some time ago.

Seasonic PX is the new platinum model right?

I don't even know if I need to spend extra. I found the focus plus platinum (I assume older model?) for significantly less money. It seems good enough for someone like me that very rarely games and mainly uses the PC for web browsing and photo editing (Lightroom/Photoshop). What do you think?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Newbie question. I'm looking to buy a more high end psu, since the last one I bought was quite some time ago.

Seasonic PX is the new platinum model right?

I don't even know if I need to spend extra. I found the focus plus platinum (I assume older model?) for significantly less money. It seems good enough for someone like me that very rarely games and mainly uses the PC for web browsing and photo editing (Lightroom/Photoshop). What do you think?

Yes, you are correct.

Not worth the money for you.

I recommend EVGA GD series, it is new and rated gold and very cheap yet good quality. Mine works great, see system specs under my name for pricing.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Unless you find a really good deal on a 80 PLUS "Platinum" PSU, "Gold" certified is just fine. You only get a couple extra percentage points in efficiency with a Platinum and that would take many years of use to make up for the extra purchase price in energy savings.

BTW, just because you bought your last PSU "some time ago", that does not mean you need a new one.