1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Secondary monitor setup via intel HD4000 igpu..

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Enmitynz, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Enmitynz

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

Firstly I want to explain as to why I want to set up this secondary monitor - I have crossfire 7970ghz cards and im running a Qnix QX2710LED monitor from korea which requires an AMD video driver "hack" to unlock it and enable it to run at more than 60hz (I leave it at 110Hz atm)

The problem with applying this hack is there are a lot of videos that just simply will not play anymore (movies via VLC,MPC-HC, facebook videos, other online flash players etc) I only seem to be able to play youtube videos. Granted, I can run my movies in VLC/MPC-HC if I disable hardware acceleration but the movies look..well..like crap really. Not sure if I can tweak something to make it look nicer but anyway...

Ive got my old XL2370 sitting around so I though screw it, i'll connect it up - here's the thing, I dont wanna have the same video playing issues so I figured i'll connect it directly into the motherboards VGA port and use my 3570k's igpu therefore bypassing my driver hack video playback issues.

Enabled the igpu via bios, boot into windows, but the screen hasn't been detected, its completely blank..open display and go my monitor display area.. windows sees the monitor so I set the resolution (shows its only 1600x900 (its a 1920x1080p capable monitor) hit apply and the screen is still completely blank. Upon further fiddling around ive gone into advanced settings and its showing my secondary monitor..which is plugged into my motherboard, as using the AMD 7900 series as the graphics adaptor...no where can I see the Intel HD 4000. I cant see any indication of it anywhere in my system, not in device manager or anything...sooo I did some googling.

Thought ok, maybe I need to install the HD 4000 drivers. Found them on the Intel website, downloaded both the .exe and .zip versions of the HD4000 drivers for x64 win7...they both start to install and then both say " this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software"

What gives? what do you think I should try next guys?

Thanks in advance!

2. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    you cant use hd4000 together with 7970.
    only case when you can use build in and dedicated vga is amd apu+amd vga card but they can only work in cf. you cant make em to work separately at the same time. dedicated card suppres build in vga

3. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    In my case, my main monitor is plugged to the discrete GPU (a GTX 660) and tried connecting a secondary monitor on the IGP's d-sub.
    System boots on the primary monitor but (seems to)halt after the windows login and signal disappears. Both monitors receive no signal.

Tried setting IGP as primary GPU and it boots on the secondary monitor, but also halts after the windows loading logo.

Both drivers are installed (for HD 4000 and GTX 660), have yet to try is to plug the secondary monitor to the DVI port of the IGP.

Googling some info, seems some folk actually enabled both. Perhaps board/chipset thing?

4. lastcalaveras

lastcalaveras

Thanks Received:
    most of the time the IGP will be disabled when you have discrete graphics card installed on a intel chipset. However perhaps you can try the LucidLogic Virtu MVP feature where you can use the Intel graphics for you desktop and AMD graphics when you play games.

5. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    do tell about this hack... not sure why it would break video decoding unless it's using old driver dlls

also not sure why you see ANY difference in video quality, there's nothing wrong with cpu decoding, in fact it can be more accurate (i personally disable DXVA acceleration in all my players)

are you implying games work fine?

6. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    Look in the BIOS. Is the "iGPU multi monitor" setting enabled? You need it enabled for both to work; otherwise, the iGPU gets disabled when an add-in card is plugged in.

This hasn't been the case since second generation Intel Core processors aka Sandy Bridge. Second generation and later allow both the iGPU and the processor's PCIe lanes to be used simultaneously. I use both the integrated graphics and discrete cards simultaneously so I can connect my HDTV to integrated graphics while I have my 3 monitor surround setup connected to the discrete GPUs.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  7. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    Now im able to make it work.

I tried hooking the secondary monitor to the DVI out of the IGP instead of the d-sub/vga, thats what i did before and it refuses to work properly. Now both are plugged in to the DVI ports of their respective out and it now works:

[​IMG]

@TS: is the IGP set as primary in the UEFI before you install drivers? Or maybe install drivers when only IGP is plugged in?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014