1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Security Suite (and other apps) recommendationsfor Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Discussion in 'General Software' started by toyo, Aug 8, 2009.

1. toyo

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

After many months of watching many of you guys so happy testing Win7, i finally got to get my copy and installed a the x64 Ultimate version.
    I like it so far, but many apps I had on XP I just don't have the guts to install and use without proper advice. I used to have KIS 2009, JV16, Ccleaner, TuneUP Utilities. As you can see I'm preoccupied with security&maintenance, as KIS is not compatible with Win7 and has 64 bit limitations and the others I'm not sure they were designed for the Win7 folder/registry structure, even if they will run they could damage something.
    I also used Acronis True Image, but I didn't install it yet as I couldn't find reliable info (I admit it's late and I just can't concentrate any longer).

I am welcoming any thoughts on the matter, even if they are not suggestions :)
    Any info will do me good as I skipped Vista all the way waiting for this moment and my only contact with it was customers/friends I helped with their PCs.

Thank you in advance.

2. Lauya New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi toyo, i am now using Wins7, and i reinstalled all my faverite software once on my XP, eveything goes fine. have a try....

toyo says thanks.
  3. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    avast/comodo firewall or you could just go full blown comodo internet security. both free

toyo says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. Morrison5891

Morrison5891

Thanks Received:
    or ... you can educate yourself on better surfing habits and not run any anti-virus/spyware software...

5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Kaspersky.

Good antivirus, good antispyware, good firewall all in one.
    Damned cheap on ebay too.

KIS 09 is indeed compatible, i ran it for months in the beta and RC. KIS2010 has been out for some time - your licence will still work in the newer version.

toyo says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. toyo

Thanks Received:
    I'm tempted by KIS 2009 as I used it with good results and liked it. I tried KIS 2010 too but the way it handles apps just didn't catch with me. The problem is I'm a member of their forums for a long time now and even helped with beta testing KIS 6&7, and they clearly specify their products are not yet compatible with Win 7 and it is risky to use it. I'm quoting one of their mods:

The CF2 is not out yet, but soon to be :) I guess I'll stick with windows Defender/Firewall and my "educated web surfing" till it comes out ;)

How about some Registry Cleaners/Tweakers :) if it's not to much for you?

7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    well i've personally used KIS 2009 and KIS 2010 on windows 7 - i'm using it right now. They've been flawless.

The only 'support' missing in 2009, was that it couldnt report to the OS - so that the little popup cant say "oh noes, your antivirus is out of date!" "oh noes, kaspersky isnt running!"

10 Year Member at TPU