• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seeking Gaming Router expert advice

System Name The Beast
Processor Intel C2Q Xeon X3380 @ 4.275ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-USB3.0
Cooling Corsair H100 with 4x120x120 fans
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2300
Video Card(s) Gainward 2xGTX660ti 3GB OC SLI
Storage OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / WD SATAII 1TB / Seagate Barracuda SATAII 320GB / Maxtor SATAI 120GB
Display(s) Dell 27"
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Mobo's built-in chip
Power Supply CORSAIR HX620W MODULAR
Software Windows 8 Pro X64
Dear all,

I decided to take the plunge and buy a serious router as the one given by my ISP Hyperoptic UK, is a really scarse quality ZTE model.
I don't know which one to get though!

The things that mostly matter to me are:

1)low latency as I play online on ps4 and PC
2)Fast and reliable speeds - no need for it to be the absolute fastest out there but to have acceptable speeds
3)Ideally a WRT router that gets updated regularly by the community (even though I am not a WRT expert)
4)I live in an apartment that isn't massive so I don't need something with ultra strong range

Models I was considering are
1)Linksys WRT32X (105GBP) - I hear though that the official firmware hasn't been updated in quite some time. I was wondering if DD-WRT solves issues and added features over time
2)asus rt-ac86u (160GBP)

Based on the above preferences and the prices...which one would you recommend and why? And if neither of these two, then which one? I'd like to ideally stay at around 150gbp and not break the bank

I look forward to your advice! Many thanks

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I have #2 and love it. My web is 400/20 or something like that. Several Wi-Fi devices attached at once and doesn't flinch.

Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
How far are your PC and PS4 from each other and the router? How many signals do you receive in your apartment complex? What other wifi clients do you have?

System Name The Beast
Storage OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / WD SATAII 1TB / Seagate Barracuda SATAII 320GB / Maxtor SATAI 120GB
Display(s) Dell 27"
I have #2 and love it. My web is 400/20 or something like that. Several Wi-Fi devices attached at once and doesn't flinch.

Thanks, have you ever tinkered with DD-WRT firmware, or you left all stock? What do you game on? What improvements did you notice from your previous kit?

How far are your PC and PS4 from each other and the router? How many signals do you receive in your apartment complex? What other wifi clients do you have?

Ehm, PC is in one room, maybe 4-5 straight line meters from router that has to be placed in a storage room (2 walls between them). PS4 is about 10-12 straight line meters away in living room - 3 walls between them. I've no idea how many signals are in my apartment complex, but I guess quite a few. Other wifi clients you mean other devices? couple of smartphones, couple of smart tvs, an ipad and occasionally a couple of laptops. Very seldom we'd have all connected at the same time. Most of the time it would be 2 phones, 1 tv, 1 ps4 , 1 pc. Can't move the router anywhere else therefore ethernet cables not an option.

Last edited:
Case fancier than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Gaming router is just an expensive marketing term and while I personally prefer Netgear and Asus routers I would not spend the extra money to get the AC86U (great as is) over the Linkys.

That said, if latency is an issue then I would hardwire as much as you can. Use powerline adapters and switches (or old routers) to hardwire anything that is stationery. Any decent 1200ac router can handle ipads, smartphones, and a laptop.

This article may help you out

System Name The Beast
Display(s) Dell 27"
Thanks. I have powerlines however there is huge loss of speed when compared to even the scarse 5ghz wifi ZTE and latency wise there is no difference! However the ZTE can't handle streaming games over steam link, or streaming ultra high def movies without stuttering at regular intervals. So the Linksys you think, that I found at a good price point would give me more or less as much as the more expensive asus one?

Case fancier than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
However the ZTE can't handle streaming games over steam link, or streaming ultra high def movies without stuttering at regular intervals.

So this is your issue. You have several walls in the way of the router that will hinder your 5ghz signal. Are there any other routers in the complex using the same channel number as your 5ghz signal? Have you tried 2.4ghz? The speed is slower but the signal travels through obstacles like walls better.

System Name The Beast
Display(s) Dell 27"
So this is your issue. You have several walls in the way of the router that will hinder your 5ghz signal. Are there any other routers in the complex using the same channel number as your 5ghz signal? Have you tried 2.4ghz? The speed is slower but the signal travels through obstacles like walls better.

Thanks for the tip. Not much difference in signal strength between 2.4 and 5...And unfortunately if I wish to use steam link it can only work over 5ghz as 2.4 is not fast enough. I also did a test to use powerlines for steam link as well as uhd streaming and even in that case I got the same stuttering, it feels as if the router doesn't have enough cache and at regular intervals stutters , then recovers for a few minutes and then repeats. I really think that piece of kit is trash!

Case fancier than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
I also did a test to use powerlines for steam link as well as uhd streaming and even in that case I got the same stuttering, it feels as if the router doesn't have enough cache and at regular intervals stutters , then recovers for a few minutes and then repeats. I really think that piece of kit is trash!

I'm sure the ZTE model is trash but if your smart-tv is using a cheap 1x1 antenna it's probably not helping itself either. Like I said before, if possible I would look into moving the router closer to the stationary clients. If that's not possible something like a broadcomm based router, Asus AC66U B1, AC68U or Netgear Nighthawk R6700 V3 (avoid V2) or better. Just make sure you can return the router if the issue is not solved as you may want to look into a mesh system as an alternative. You can then hardwire stationary clients to the mesh nodes.

Both routers you mention will do the job (as the routers I mentioned above) but are overkill for your needs.

Last edited:
System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
At this point I would just get a long ethernet cable and hard wire your PC and PS4 or setup the external wireless router somewhere open space and use your broadband hub as a dedicated broadband and not as wireless router and connect ethernet cable to the external wireless router.
Pretty much how I have setup in my parents house, we have 3 external wireless routers all connected to the Virgin media hub.

Case fancier than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
At this point I would just get a long ethernet cable and hard wire your PC and PS4 or setup the external wireless router somewhere open space and use your broadband hub as a dedicated broadband and not as wireless router and connect ethernet cable to the external wireless router.
Pretty much how I have setup in my parents house, we have 3 external wireless routers all connected to the Virgin media hub.

You used the hub as a switch and created APs and bridges with your other routers using an Ethernet backhaul? This would be the ideal set up but I think most apartments won't let you run Ethernet through the wall.

I have our modem & router in the family room with a roku hardwired to it along with a powerline adapter. A second adapter sits in my master bedroom with an old router set up as an AP and another hardwired roku.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
+2 is good, setup is a breeze and performance is good. You would have to plug it into your ISP modem but it automatically connects and you will have Wireless networks available from the router. With that you could even dedicate your PC to the 5GHZ band and your PS4 to the 2.4 GHZ band.

System Name The Beast
Display(s) Dell 27"
+2 is good, setup is a breeze and performance is good. You would have to plug it into your ISP modem but it automatically connects and you will have Wireless networks available from the router. With that you could even dedicate your PC to the 5GHZ band and your PS4 to the 2.4 GHZ band.

Can't I get rid the ISP ZTE box altogether? I thought these routers can do the whole thing if setup with the correct settings, without the need for the ZTE. Was I wrong?

Thanks but as I mentioned above, not an option to use cables

Can't I get rid the ISP ZTE box altogether? I thought these routers can do the whole thing if setup with the correct settings, without the need for the ZTE. Was I wrong?
That depends. Typically an ISP's router is a modem/router combo. If so, then you need to get your own modem and connect the router to it.

You should contact your ISP and ask if you do not know.

System Name The Beast
Display(s) Dell 27"
I'm sure the ZTE model is trash but if your smart-tv is using a cheap 1x1 antenna it's probably not helping itself either. Like I said before, if possible I would look into moving the router closer to the stationary clients. If that's not possible something like a broadcomm based router, Asus AC66U B1, AC68U or Netgear Nighthawk R6700 V3 (avoid V2) or better. Just make sure you can return the router if the issue is not solved as you may want to look into a mesh system as an alternative. You can then hardwire stationary clients to the mesh nodes.

Both routers you mention will do the job (as the routers I mentioned above) but are overkill for your needs.

I don't think it's the smart TV in the example I mentioned as I have it hardwired with powerline and not over wifi...same issue.

That depends. Typically an ISP's router is a modem/router combo. If so, then you need to get your own modem and connect the router to it.

You should contact your ISP and ask if you do not know.

The one I have now is the HN298A ZTE, If I understand correctly from the net, it's just a router, not modem/router combo.....I think that if I don't care about their phone line service (which I don't) I can completely get rid of their own box and use a different one as long as it supports /31 (255.255.255.254) subnet mask on its WAN port ( https://www.hyperoptic.com/faq/posts/connecting-a-non-hyperoptic-router/ )

Any idea how I confirm whether a specific model supports the above?

Last edited:
System Name The Beast
Display(s) Dell 27"
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Keyboard Logitech G510
Case fancier than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
What ISP speeds are you paying for?

System Name The Beast
Display(s) Dell 27"
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510
Currently fibre 150/150 but planning to go to 1gb/1gb soon

4 ethernet in the back.. Plus 1 which is for isp

Just get the Asus and plug it into one of those ports.

System Name The Beast
Display(s) Dell 27"
Just get the Asus and plug it into one of those ports.
I'd rather go directly connection to isp and get rid of the zte. I think it's possible

Then you either need a router with a modem, or a separate modem with a separate router.

Do you plug a coaxial cable in anywhere? I am not sure how you have Ethernet without a modem. Typically it is coax into a modem which sends out Ethernet to the router.

System Name The Beast
Display(s) Dell 27"
Then you either need a router with a modem, or a separate modem with a separate router.

Do you plug a coaxial cable in anywhere? I am not sure how you have Ethernet without a modem. Typically it is coax into a modem which sends out Ethernet to the router.

I'm not sure, however i have the actual fibre all the way to my flat.. Then an ethernet output socket on the wall that takes the isp signal and gives to the zte, which in its turn shares with all my devices. There is no coaxial
If i went with option 1,which is 60gbp cheaper, do you think I would get the same results as asus for my needs? Is there any reason to prefer the asus?

Ahh..ok.. if that is the case, then yes, a router will be just fine.

I don't think you'd notice the difference between the two.. except maybe in Wi-Fi speeds.