• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

seeking recommendation for a 2.1 PC setup with very good bass

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
I called out Logitech for nonsense power ratings and pointed to a specific case.
sorry bud but i missed that specific case; no model(s) mentioned, no "rated" specs given. no numbers. however i did see sweeping generalizations.
I then said inflated power ratings don't happen to that extent in the pro world, you say it does but and give no examples.
what? should i saved those marketing brochures sent to the shop? just in case someone 20 years later would want to see BS marketing?
or recorded amps blowing up that didn't meet those exaggerated values?

seems you're asking for far to high of a bar when you've set a low one for yourself. not to say how egotistical it is to argue with some one that has actually work in an industry where you have demonstrated a complete lack of knowledge. that 100,000 amps thing is so imaginative.
Shitty marketing matters, if you don't like what I'm saying tell me why I'm wrong or just ignore me, don't just say I'm wrong cause you know more than me.
shitty marketing matter to protect the gulliable. don't like what i'm saying, keep scrolling.
As to the OP's post I made specific speaker, amp, and sub suggestions and beyond that stated specifically what to look for and why. Did you read the whole thread?
so? and you continue with your ranting and arguing. you were done after those suggestions.

like this conversation.

have a good day.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stay on topic.
Quit the bickering back and forth.
Take your side bickering to PMs.

Thank You and be civil in your discussions.

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
Hi, I currently use Logitech Z625 2.1 speaker setup and while it sounds nice, the sub seems to be lacking in power for what I am after.

Do they make a 2.1 setup with a bigger, more powerful sub woofer that is actually worth the money? (budget up to us750ish)
I have the same speakers, I'm happy with the bass on them. The best bass I've ever heard/felt on PC speakers are Klipsch Promedia v.2-400 . I don't think they are made anymore. I think Klipsch replaced them with the Promedia 2.1 which I have not heard yet. Honestly, if you want insane bass get a standalone receiver, a pair of book shelve speakers and a 12 or 15 inch self powered sub. I have a 12-inch unit that hits so hard, I have it turned to half volume because anything more shakes my wife's photos and art right off the walls.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
i have a set of Edifier R1850DB's which have an out for a subwoofer, grab a good sized sub via Monoprice and you have nice overall tone with good base for around $250. The amazon reviews will basically point you in the right direction. https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R185.../B073W1R4XQ/ref=psdc_3236451011_t5_B016P9HJIA
I got the R1855DB's recently. Decent enough sound for the money, but the Bluetooth implementation screams budget speakers, as they're using Qualcomm based modules, but only support SBC, which is a real let-down. They want you to pay 10x as much to get their high-end models that has atpX and what not, which just seems plain mean, as SBC is really poor in terms of audio quality. Bluetooth 5.0 vs 4.2 in the R1850DB's make no difference whatsoever when it comes to audio.
At least they have made a nicer remote now.

Processor 5800x(2)/5700g/5600x/5600g/2700x/1700x/1700
Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX3060/EVGA 970(2)/Asus 750 ti/Old Quadros
Storage Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB/WD Black M.2 NVMe 500GB/Adata 500gb NVMe
Display(s) Acer 1080p 22"/ (3) Samsung 22" 1080p
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Mouse Generic Black wireless (5)
Keyboard Generic Black wireless (5)
Software Win 10/Ubuntu
Everytime the Pro Media drop to 70 bux I grab a set and give them away for xmas or bdays. It's nice to have a set in reserve. They are beasts for the money. I've not heard a set of 2.1 anywhere that is close to them for 2-3 times the price. And I'm not gonna pull any audiophile wanker BS either, they are fabulous for the money.
I 100% agree. Costco had them at $49 a couple of months ago. I couldn't help but buy another set. These computer speakers embarrass the hell out of my Edifier bluetooth bookshelf speakers, which cost more than twice as much.

I got the R1855DB's recently. Decent enough sound for the money, but the Bluetooth implementation screams budget speakers, as they're using Qualcomm based modules, but only support SBC, which is a real let-down. They want you to pay 10x as much to get their high-end models that has atpX and what not, which just seems plain mean, as SBC is really poor in terms of audio quality. Bluetooth 5.0 vs 4.2 in the R1850DB's make no difference whatsoever when it comes to audio.
I have not heard either of them but another similar option that has gotten good reviews is the Kanto YU2. Nice and compact, play down to 80Hz (perfect for crossing over to a sub), have a sub out, and a USB DAC. Just pair them with whatever sub you want and you are done so if you want to keep things simple its probably the way to go.

D

Deleted member 24505

I have not heard either of them but another similar option that has gotten good reviews is the Kanto YU2. Nice and compact, play down to 80Hz (perfect for crossing over to a sub), have a sub out, and a USB DAC. Just pair them with whatever sub you want and you are done so if you want to keep things simple its probably the way to go.
Nice little speakers them

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
Yeah I dont use the Bluetooth functionality at all so no loss to me. But that said sound i get from them is damn good not overly large for my desk, and with a subwoofer added plenty of punch.

System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 96GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, DiNovo Edge
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
As a musician, audio engineer and producer "very good bass" is an extremely subjective thing. The genre of music, listening environment, tastes of the listener and equipment involved are all huge variables. In a nearfield setup such as a production workstation one has to take into consideration the distance it takes for low frequency audio waves to fully develop (several feet from the source). Then comes the type of music involved. Acoustic Jazz with a stand-up bass demands accuracy plus it must properly blend into the performance. Ray Brown was totally different than Stanley Clarke for example. Classical music is quite similar in most aspects.

Various idioms of Rock are all over the place when it comes to bass. For R&B the James Jamerson approach is quite different than Larry Graham's style and the slapper/thumpers. I can't speak about rap because I don't listen to it. One of my studio workstations has JBL 306P mkII's with a JBL LSR310S sub. I'm feeding them with a Soundcraft Signature 12 mixer. Depending upon the project I'm working on it's necessary to make volume and crossover frequency adjustments to the sub as well as on the mixer for tonal accuracy. Another workstation has Polk Monitor 40's (a steal at the time for $99 including shipping from Newegg) fed by a Chinese tube amp I got from Parts Express for $119. After scrapping the junk Chinese tubes and replacing them with vintage Telefunkens it really came alive. I'm using an old 10" Xfinity downfiring sub that I elevated about 36" off the floor. The output source is an Asus Xonar D2X PCIe card running through VLC or Sound Forge Pro 15. I use that often for daily listening and some production work. I also have a huge EV/Crown/BGW system in my living room that'd do well in a large auditorium. I rarely power it up anymore because I don't need that level of professional audio quality unless I have guests over and the COVID stopped that completely. I always do final evaluations of audio projects in my car because that's the environment most end listeners have access to.

As I used to ask my customers back when I sold Pro audio gear after they'd ask if a piece they had was any good: "Does it sound good to you?". If their answer was yes (and it usually was) I'd tell them they should keep it (we hated taking used consumer stuff as partial trades because we had no market to sell it) and use it in a backup or bedroom system. Only you can define your musical tastes and what you're looking for. We're all different. Just because somebody tells you something is great in their opinion doesn't mean you'll think the same about it. Also, your choice of source material puts you at the mercy of whoever created it unless you have a DAW and the skills to change what you don't like to your own tastes. An audio system is just the final playback device and the choices & options vary so much only you can make that decision for yourself. Personally I prefer used professional gear because if it was good enough to make the original recording on it's good enough to play it back with. With a bit of looking it's also less expensive than used consumer audio and far less expensive than new consumer audio stuff.

System Name Harley
Processor Intel core i7 3820
Motherboard ASRock Extreme6 X79
Cooling NZXT Kraken X60
Memory Geil Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600+ 16GB
Video Card(s) EVGA SuperClocked GTX Titan
Storage OCZ Vertex4 128GB SSD / Toshiba 7200 2TB HDD
Display(s) Crossover 30" 2560x1600
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB - Custom Modded
Audio Device(s) n/a
Power Supply CoolerMaster Silent Pro Hybrid 1300w
Software Win7 64
Thanks all for the responses. I have came to a conclusion and took action.

In the end, I decided to keep my current pc speaker setup, and instead focused on getting a sound system for my living room TV. I went with the Bose 700 series soundbar and subwoofer. It sounds fantastic. I went over budget yes, but I am ok with that.
As for the PC, a couple of replies here are spot on. The placement of this current sub for my PC is directly under my desk. I will correct this in time and have it moved to an adjacent corner. At least for now, I can enjoy watching movies on something other than the PC.

Thanks again for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.