• We've upgraded our forums. Please post any issues/requests in this thread.

seeking upgrade advice for AGP system

helkoid

New Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2006
Messages
4 (0.00/day)
Likes
0
#1
Hi techPowerUp members,

I've been sort of lurking on this forum for a few days now, and have been impressed by the amount of knowledge and help that the forum members give out. I'm trying to figure out what might be the best route of upgrading for my system, and hoped to get some advice, as I have not kept up with the latest in hardware for quite some time now. This is what I have been running for a few years now:

AthlonXP 2500+ (1.83ghz) Barton core oc'd to 3200+ (2.2ghz), 200mhz fsb
1 gig Crucial ram
Powercolor Radeon 9800se 128mb soft-modded to pro, not oc'd, AGP of course
ASRock K7V88 RAID Socket A (Socket 462) VIA KT880 motherboard
400watt ps

From what I have read, it seems that I can keep most of my system and get a big performance boost by replacing my vid card with something like a x800gto and hopefully being able to open up the last quad of pixel pipes. I do not have a lot of money and so am hoping for something under $200, preferably a little less. I don't think I really need to jump to a pci-e system and replace everything just yet (I couldn't anyway with my current budget), but I'm open to hearing what others have to say about possibly waiting until prices come down or until newer tech emerges.

I want to be able to play Oblivion with a few more of the goodies turned on and with a better resolution that I'm currently stuck at. I don't need anything close to top of the line; I just want a smooth gaming experience with a few nice things to look at. I doubt that I would play any game at higher than 1024*768 resolution if that helps. Any advice that people could give me would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
 

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
8,956 (2.09/day)
Likes
167
Location
Portugal
Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 (Trinidad)
Motherboard ASUS F3Ka (ATI RS690M)
Cooling stock
Memory Nanya 2x1GB ddr2 667@5-5-5-15-2T
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 512MB DDR2@ 580mhz/486mhz
Storage 160GB on laptop+250GB external
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Case Asus Laptop F3Ka chassis
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply 1:30minutes battery
Software "genui xp", 'cause i hated vista
#2
Get a 7900 gs, it is the best agp card avaiable
 

helkoid

New Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2006
Messages
4 (0.00/day)
Likes
0
#3
pt said:
Get a 7900 gs, it is the best agp card avaiable
Did you read my post? Please note the budget limit. Suggesting a top of the line card does not help.

Anyone else?
 
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
714 (0.17/day)
Likes
11
System Name Xbox 360 Super Elite
Processor 3.2GHz PowerPC Tri-Core Xenon
Memory 512MB 700MHz GDDR3 RAM
Video Card(s) ATI Xenos @ 500 MHz
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 26" Samsung LCD HDTV
Case Super Elite (COD:MW2 Edition)
Audio Device(s) 5.1
Power Supply 120w
Software NXE
#4
to be fair on 'pt' a 7900gs would be nice for anyone with a large budget but with $200 you still can do alot. with your current system specs you can still get alot of gaming out of it till vista appears but lets consider your options.

newegg.com has a few nice option depending if you wanna spend all the $200

option 1 - ASUS Geforce 6800 512MB GDDR2 AGP $179.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121216

option 2 - DIAMOND Radeon X1600PRO 512MB GDDR2 AGP $176.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814103005

take a lot and see what you like.

p.s. just got a barton and a 6600 myself till socket AM2 am i'm not disappointed
 

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
8,956 (2.09/day)
Likes
167
Location
Portugal
Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 (Trinidad)
Motherboard ASUS F3Ka (ATI RS690M)
Cooling stock
Memory Nanya 2x1GB ddr2 667@5-5-5-15-2T
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 512MB DDR2@ 580mhz/486mhz
Storage 160GB on laptop+250GB external
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Case Asus Laptop F3Ka chassis
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply 1:30minutes battery
Software "genui xp", 'cause i hated vista
#5
IF you want to play oblivion, forget the x1600 pro, the 6800gs isn't bad, and if for your budjet a 7900gs is too much, consider a 7800gs
 

helkoid

New Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2006
Messages
4 (0.00/day)
Likes
0
#6
cjoyce1980, thanks for the options. Any thoughts on the x800gto?

pt, please keep suggestions in the $200 or below range. A 7800gs is still about $300.
 

KennyT772

New Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2005
Messages
3,572 (0.82/day)
Likes
102
System Name Raptor
Processor Intel E8400 Wolfdale @3600
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro LGA775
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700
Memory 1024mbx2 Crucial Ballistix DDR800
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB
Display(s) Acer AL2216Wbd and Acer AL1717
Case Gigabyte 3DAurora Black
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Faitality
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 500w
#7
the gto is an awesome card if it is unlocked. but it is after all last generation not current. i would go for the 6800u if u want good support now or a x800gto. either will work real nice.
 
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
714 (0.17/day)
Likes
11
System Name Xbox 360 Super Elite
Processor 3.2GHz PowerPC Tri-Core Xenon
Memory 512MB 700MHz GDDR3 RAM
Video Card(s) ATI Xenos @ 500 MHz
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 26" Samsung LCD HDTV
Case Super Elite (COD:MW2 Edition)
Audio Device(s) 5.1
Power Supply 120w
Software NXE
#8
the x800gto is a nice card but you get model shader 3.0 with this card, unlike the nvidia 6 series and the x1600pro in my previous post.

the x800gto is similarly priced to the x1600pro. if i have the choice between the x800gto and the x1600pro and a 6800, i would choose the x1600pro, more bang per buck (looking at the specs). mainly because of resell value when it comes to getting a new pc, as this card is meant to be vista ready and there will be a load of peeps that wont be able to afford a nice vista pc come dec/jan.
 

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
8,956 (2.09/day)
Likes
167
Location
Portugal
Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 (Trinidad)
Motherboard ASUS F3Ka (ATI RS690M)
Cooling stock
Memory Nanya 2x1GB ddr2 667@5-5-5-15-2T
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 512MB DDR2@ 580mhz/486mhz
Storage 160GB on laptop+250GB external
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Case Asus Laptop F3Ka chassis
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply 1:30minutes battery
Software "genui xp", 'cause i hated vista
#9
ok, so under 200 get a XFX 6800gs xxx, if there is a agp one
 
Joined
Mar 28, 2006
Messages
63 (0.01/day)
Likes
3
Location
Dallas, Texas
System Name Blue Steel
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Motherboard ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3.0
Cooling Air (Zalman CNPS9700 LED)
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 (4x2GB)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD5850
Storage 640gb WD 7,200RPM SATA 6.0gb/s
Display(s) ASUS 23" 1080P LCD
Case Vapo-Li V2000B by Jinu
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair CMPSU-650TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
#11
under $200, x800gto, you won't miss the sm3.0, quake4/doom3 @ 1600x1200 high quality goodness
 

KennyT772

New Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2005
Messages
3,572 (0.82/day)
Likes
102
System Name Raptor
Processor Intel E8400 Wolfdale @3600
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro LGA775
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700
Memory 1024mbx2 Crucial Ballistix DDR800
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB
Display(s) Acer AL2216Wbd and Acer AL1717
Case Gigabyte 3DAurora Black
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Faitality
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 500w
#12
x800 = high end card 5th gen
x1600 = mid range card 6th gen

all you are paying for is the newer generation aka sm3
get the x800 card u wont regret it
 

_33

New Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2006
Messages
1,248 (0.29/day)
Likes
31
Location
Quebec
System Name BEAST
Processor Intel Core i7 920 C0 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA batch 3844A509
Motherboard ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3
Cooling CoolIt ECO A.L.C. 120mm radiator
Memory G.SKILL F3-12800CL8TU-6GBPI PC3-12800 6GB 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL8-8-8-21
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 1GB 850MHZ 1GB 3.9GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI HDTV
Storage SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F1 750GB X 2, WD2500KS 250GB, WD15EARS 1.5TB, WD20EARS 2.0TB
Display(s) LG W2361V-PF Monitors 23” Widescreen LCD Monitor (23.0” diagonal)
Case Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 600W Power Supply ATX V2.2 20/24PIN EPS12V Qfan 140MM Fan Active PFC
Software Windows 7 Pro 64bit
#14
helkoid said:
Hi techPowerUp members,

I've been sort of lurking on this forum for a few days now, and have been impressed by the amount of knowledge and help that the forum members give out. I'm trying to figure out what might be the best route of upgrading for my system, and hoped to get some advice, as I have not kept up with the latest in hardware for quite some time now. This is what I have been running for a few years now:

AthlonXP 2500+ (1.83ghz) Barton core oc'd to 3200+ (2.2ghz), 200mhz fsb
1 gig Crucial ram
Powercolor Radeon 9800se 128mb soft-modded to pro, not oc'd, AGP of course
ASRock K7V88 RAID Socket A (Socket 462) VIA KT880 motherboard
400watt ps

From what I have read, it seems that I can keep most of my system and get a big performance boost by replacing my vid card with something like a x800gto and hopefully being able to open up the last quad of pixel pipes. I do not have a lot of money and so am hoping for something under $200, preferably a little less. I don't think I really need to jump to a pci-e system and replace everything just yet (I couldn't anyway with my current budget), but I'm open to hearing what others have to say about possibly waiting until prices come down or until newer tech emerges.

I want to be able to play Oblivion with a few more of the goodies turned on and with a better resolution that I'm currently stuck at. I don't need anything close to top of the line; I just want a smooth gaming experience with a few nice things to look at. I doubt that I would play any game at higher than 1024*768 resolution if that helps. Any advice that people could give me would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Hi! For your budget,n I'd opt for a 6800GS, or if you can find a cheap 6800GT in AGP form, that could be great for you as it has 16 pixel pipelines already activated.

I don't know much about ATI AGP models that are recent. Good luck!
 
Last edited:

bigboi86

New Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
1,442 (0.34/day)
Likes
30
Location
techPowerUp!
System Name Just getting started....
Processor Athlon II Propus 620 @ 3.51ghz (quad core) L3 cache enabled
Motherboard ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 (great heatsink, 40c max load overclocked)
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR31600 4gb 2x2
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 4850 by XFX
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB SATA
Display(s) Acer 21.5 inch viewable G215H 1920x1080p, AOC 22inch 1680x1050
Case Antec 300, stock for now
Audio Device(s) Onboard, Turtle Beach headphones / crappy logitech desktop speakers
Power Supply Corsair 650 watt PSU <3
Software Windows 7 x64
#15
There's not even a 7900GS lol.. it's a 7800GS. The 6800 with DDR2 only has a 128bit memory bus, and slow memory clocks for 128bit bus, it sucks(less memory bandwidth than a 6600GT).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102609

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161003

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143045

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814140067

These are the only AGP cards under 200 bucks worth messing with for AGP(that newegg has anyway).

6800GS being the best of course. Chances are 50/50 for getting the 6800NU to unlock. The chances are slim to get the GTO to unlock, and the x1600 should just overclock like a champ.. so.. do the math.

Also, a 6800GT would be worth looking at like mentioned above, but newegg doesn't carry them.
 

_33

New Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2006
Messages
1,248 (0.29/day)
Likes
31
Location
Quebec
System Name BEAST
Processor Intel Core i7 920 C0 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA batch 3844A509
Motherboard ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3
Cooling CoolIt ECO A.L.C. 120mm radiator
Memory G.SKILL F3-12800CL8TU-6GBPI PC3-12800 6GB 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL8-8-8-21
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 1GB 850MHZ 1GB 3.9GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI HDTV
Storage SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F1 750GB X 2, WD2500KS 250GB, WD15EARS 1.5TB, WD20EARS 2.0TB
Display(s) LG W2361V-PF Monitors 23” Widescreen LCD Monitor (23.0” diagonal)
Case Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 600W Power Supply ATX V2.2 20/24PIN EPS12V Qfan 140MM Fan Active PFC
Software Windows 7 Pro 64bit
#16
bigboi86 said:
There's not even a 7900GS lol.. it's a 7800GS. The 6800 with DDR2 only has a 128bit memory bus, and slow memory clocks for 128bit bus, it sucks(less memory bandwidth than a 6600GT).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102609

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161003

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143045

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814140067

These are the only AGP cards under 200 bucks worth messing with for AGP.
IMHO the 2 I'd opt for if I had to upgrade in AGP, would be X800GTO or 6800GS. X1600 I read benchmarks and it really isn't that fast, only + is SM3.0. 6800 with 128MB suxxx imho :roll:
 

bigboi86

New Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
1,442 (0.34/day)
Likes
30
Location
techPowerUp!
System Name Just getting started....
Processor Athlon II Propus 620 @ 3.51ghz (quad core) L3 cache enabled
Motherboard ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 (great heatsink, 40c max load overclocked)
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR31600 4gb 2x2
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 4850 by XFX
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB SATA
Display(s) Acer 21.5 inch viewable G215H 1920x1080p, AOC 22inch 1680x1050
Case Antec 300, stock for now
Audio Device(s) Onboard, Turtle Beach headphones / crappy logitech desktop speakers
Power Supply Corsair 650 watt PSU <3
Software Windows 7 x64
#17
_33 said:
6800 with 128MB suxxx imho :roll:
Hey it's not that bad if you can unlock it.. and I hit 6800GS speeds with the core and mem on it.. so....

But I agree it is the lesser of those cards listed.
 

_33

New Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2006
Messages
1,248 (0.29/day)
Likes
31
Location
Quebec
System Name BEAST
Processor Intel Core i7 920 C0 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA batch 3844A509
Motherboard ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3
Cooling CoolIt ECO A.L.C. 120mm radiator
Memory G.SKILL F3-12800CL8TU-6GBPI PC3-12800 6GB 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL8-8-8-21
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 1GB 850MHZ 1GB 3.9GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI HDTV
Storage SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F1 750GB X 2, WD2500KS 250GB, WD15EARS 1.5TB, WD20EARS 2.0TB
Display(s) LG W2361V-PF Monitors 23” Widescreen LCD Monitor (23.0” diagonal)
Case Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 600W Power Supply ATX V2.2 20/24PIN EPS12V Qfan 140MM Fan Active PFC
Software Windows 7 Pro 64bit
#18
bigboi86 said:
Hey it's not that bad if you can unlock it.. and I hit 6800GS speeds with the core and mem on it.. so....
I didn't check your system specs sorry :p

LOL well that's good news then if it unlocks that well ! :D

Benchmarks?

(didn't want to sound like a smart alek, but I guess I did heh)
 

bigboi86

New Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
1,442 (0.34/day)
Likes
30
Location
techPowerUp!
System Name Just getting started....
Processor Athlon II Propus 620 @ 3.51ghz (quad core) L3 cache enabled
Motherboard ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 (great heatsink, 40c max load overclocked)
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR31600 4gb 2x2
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 4850 by XFX
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB SATA
Display(s) Acer 21.5 inch viewable G215H 1920x1080p, AOC 22inch 1680x1050
Case Antec 300, stock for now
Audio Device(s) Onboard, Turtle Beach headphones / crappy logitech desktop speakers
Power Supply Corsair 650 watt PSU <3
Software Windows 7 x64
#19
_33 said:
Benchmarks?
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=4740090

This is on my AXP system at the moment, when I get my A64 back up and running I'll get wayyy better scores :)

I score about 5k on 3dmark05 with my AXP too. This is with 12pipes, mine didn't unlock fully. Memory is non vmodded and is running somewhat tight timings. I should run up to about 950-1000mhz with current timings with some more volts.

I hit 1125mhz with loose timings, it yielded no performance boost, but was pretty amazing for DDR1 that isn't voltmodded.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1401075&postcount=12

I'd still rather have a 6800GS or X800GTO though.
 

_33

New Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2006
Messages
1,248 (0.29/day)
Likes
31
Location
Quebec
System Name BEAST
Processor Intel Core i7 920 C0 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA batch 3844A509
Motherboard ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3
Cooling CoolIt ECO A.L.C. 120mm radiator
Memory G.SKILL F3-12800CL8TU-6GBPI PC3-12800 6GB 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL8-8-8-21
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 1GB 850MHZ 1GB 3.9GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI HDTV
Storage SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F1 750GB X 2, WD2500KS 250GB, WD15EARS 1.5TB, WD20EARS 2.0TB
Display(s) LG W2361V-PF Monitors 23” Widescreen LCD Monitor (23.0” diagonal)
Case Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 600W Power Supply ATX V2.2 20/24PIN EPS12V Qfan 140MM Fan Active PFC
Software Windows 7 Pro 64bit
#20
bigboi86 said:
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=4740090

This is on my AXP system at the moment, when I get my A64 back up and running I'll get wayyy better scores :)

I score about 5k on 3dmark05 with my AXP too. This is with 12pipes, mine didn't unlock fully. Memory is non vmodded and is running somewhat tight timings. I should run up to about 950-1000mhz with current timings with some more volts.

I hit 1125mhz with loose timings, it yielded no performance boost, but was pretty amazing for DDR1 that isn't voltmodded.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1401075&postcount=12

I'd still rather have a 6800GS or X800GTO though.
Damn fine score considering the specs! Excellent!