• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Selling second GPU. Any advice?

I have had an Amd RX 580 4gb sitting around unused for a several months now. I wanted to sell it earlier but read some really bad stuff about people buying second-hand cards and using them to mine. It had something to do with ebay's policy on electronics giving the buyer 6 months to refund defective items, so scammers were using the cards to mine for a few months and then claiming them defective for a refund. I'm hoping this is no longer a problem now that the mining craze has died down but not sure.

The card also has a bit of dust on it, and I believe taking it apart to clean it voids the warranty. I use canned air and a paint brush to remove dust from components, so I was going to leave it intact and just do that. But I don't want someone complaining about me shipping a dirty card because that method never gets all the dust. Wondering what people's experiences have been selling gpus to know if I should bother. I'll be selling on ebay.

Thanks

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
IMO... Most warranty doesnt transfer. Its only when some manufacturers offer lifetime warranty that they might possibly be transferable otherwise no.

Just do what you gotta do... take the card apart, clean it up. repaste it then run it through heaven loop for 10mins for the TIM to cure then box it up and send it to whoever its going to...

Record yourself gaming for 10mins or something just in case the new owner says the cards broke and wants a refund. you've got evidence of you playing games on it before you sent it off so it was obviously working before it left your house.

IMO people are just insidious. they will exploit every smallest thing in the book as far as they can but that shouldnt put you off.... There are legit people out there like me -- I bought a pre-owned 1080Ti and i have no problems with it. havent used it for mining or nothing and it works just great.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
I have had an Amd RX 580 4gb sitting around unused for a several months now. I wanted to sell it earlier but read some really bad stuff about people buying second-hand cards and using them to mine. It had something to do with ebay's policy on electronics giving the buyer 6 months to refund defective items, so scammers were using the cards to mine for a few months and then claiming them defective for a refund. I'm hoping this is no longer a problem now that the mining craze has died down but not sure.

The card also has a bit of dust on it, and I believe taking it apart to clean it voids the warranty. I use canned air and a paint brush to remove dust from components, so I was going to leave it intact and just do that. But I don't want someone complaining about me shipping a dirty card because that method never gets all the dust. Wondering what people's experiences have been selling gpus to know if I should bother. I'll be selling on ebay.

Thanks

You don't need to worry about the warranty, it's not going to transfer. unless you bought it at a retail store or online retail store ,you don't have a warranty either.

In regards to cleaning the card, if you're comfortable taking it apart ,and cleaning it ,then do that (as long as you have thermal paste). A shop vac, or something that blows air at a reasonably high speed will suffice, remember manufacturers never intended video cards to be disassembled by the user, so 99% of the cleaning can be done without doing anything other than cleaning it.

in regards to selling it, now that the mining phrase has died down so has the value of that card. There are places that you can sell it other than eBay. Here on tech power up there's a for sale forum, but you're going to want to read the rules and follow them ,otherwise your post will be deleted. There's also heatware, which is pretty straightforward and simple. you'll have to offer a reasonable price, and gain buyers trust(if yor a new seller). If you have a buyer who has more reputation than you, and you have none, it wouldn't be a bad idea to send the card for half of the payment ,until the buyer gets the card and confirms it's not a scam/defective (No offense just suggestions). Once buyer confirms all is legit, they send remainder of $. Brand new AIB 580 4gb cards sell for as low as $180 on newegg, so id just list it at a reasonable price, $90 maybe, and hopefully it'll sell . its a buyers market now.

GL

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
Most warranty doesnt transfer
You don't need to worry about the warranty, it's not going to transfer
(here in the US) Asus, MSI and Gigabyte offer 3 year warranties from the date of manufacturer or date of sale. Basically, if you have it, it's covered.
I believe taking it apart to clean it voids the warranty
Here in the US, that's illegal. Edit: that is, the manufacturer can not void the warranty because you took something apart - they have to show that you caused harm.

Last edited:
System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Dont take it apart. Very few warranties are transferable and only if you registered the card like ASUS is one. Some don't check. But its a roll of the dice, I've never had one come back but it can happen
I also try not to use Ebay. Too expensive

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified

Thanks

i use 2nd hand card and so far i'm good with that, all works pretty good
as 2nd hand card you need to explain the condition, when you bought it, have any box, manual and driver
little bit dusty is fine as long there's something weird like dent, noisy fans, or higher temp

what about offer it from friend to friend before placing it on ebay?

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Here on tech power up there's a for sale forum, but you're going to want to read the rules and follow them ,otherwise your post will be deleted.
Best Suggestion in this thread so far or you sell it local to you and the buyer views it working in your system
they can get you to run such tests as they feel to confirm the card is working.

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming / guest-PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite / Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Arctic Freezer 50 / Alphacool custom loop
Memory 32GB DDR4-3466 / 16GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT / HD 7970 GHz
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD / ~500GB SSD
Display(s) 27" 4K120 + 32" 4K60 / 24" FHD144 + 24" FHD60
Case Define Mini C / Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless / Corsair HS35
Power Supply EVGA G2 750W / Seasonic FX-750
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary / Logitech G400s
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO / NOS C450 Mini Pro
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Win 11 Pro / Win 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores They both run Crysis
Never had any problems myself with used cards, in fact in my history of PCs I've bought only 5 cards as new IIRC. The only problem has been dust, but never got any badly dusty card when bought an used one. When I sell a graphics card, I'll try to clean the cooler as good as I can. And if I sell a card what hasn't any warranty left, I tell that to the buyer and if it breaks in few days, I'll give the money back.

so scammers were using the cards to mine for a few months and then claiming them defective for a refund
That's a shitty move, just getting free money via the toy money.

Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
I don't think you can get a refund on an RMA

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
ebay + used GPU = a clusterf*ck in the making....

pleeze save yourself a heart attack (and some moohlah too) and sell it here or (H)ard or Anandtech or OC'oholic or any of the many other forums with buy/sell listings :)

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
Basically, if you have it, it's covered.

thats not true tho is it?

i understand if you simply look up the warranty from these companies, they might simply say 3 years, but if you try to initiate, it doesnt go like that. Gigabyte asks for Proof of purchase, Asus also does, same with MSI. So basically having the card means nothing really, atleast in my part of the US.

ive initiated plenty of RMA/warranty, i dont ever recall any company having a "if your in possession of it , we'll pay for its repairs free ofcharge" policy.

Asus "This warranty applies only to products that are new on the date of purchase from an authorized ASUS product reseller. "
aka, First owner only.
You might be able to scam them by getting the original proof of purchase from the first owner, but when you apply for warranty or return, it better have the first owners Info. The only company I've ever known of ,that have cover you if you're in possession of it is PNY , if you bought the xlr8 series gpu & registered it within a month or so of purchase, as that one model careies a lifetime warranty. Often ram will carry a similar coverage, but for gpu's its not at all common

Last edited:
System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
ebay + used GPU = a clusterf*ck in the making....

pleeze save yourself a heart attack (and some moohlah too) and sell it here or (H)ard or Anandtech or OC'oholic or any of the many other forums with buy/sell listings :)

I agree. More local or places were its easier to communicate with seller is better. I was able to get really good deals on GPU's used. My GTX 1070 was $400 CAD half a year ago, while now they are roughly same price used. I got RX Vega's, for $270 CAD each as example.

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
Maybe they've tightened up their requirements, but I just RMA'd a motherboard from MSI that I bought off of CL with a problem (paid $25 for a Z170A-Gaming Pro), told MSI that and they still gave me an RMA. They asked for an invoice, and the online form asks for a copy of the invoice, but in a chat, they told me that I could put in a picture of the S/N. They are asking for an invoice so that you get the most warranty.

eBay got very bad conditions for sellers now. I have sold an older GTX280 nVidia card, not a lot of money, but then the buyer claimed that's defective. You have no recourse to that, unless you paid for insurance and you are willing to prove to USPS that the card was functional when put in the box. Showing a video that was working in PC doesn't mean that it didn't break when inserted in the box for example.
I could pay him for shipping back to me, but considering the cost for shipping the card, I just refunded the money and told him to keep it. Got the paypal fee back at least.

You guys are right. I sold it on ebay and it has been awful. For whatever reason the guy refused the shipment and it is being sent back to me, and this is after I paid $15 to ship it. It was to a PO box and the tracking states "item was refused by the addressee." I haven't received any message explaining why and I'm not even sure what to do now. I packaged it in literally the same box and packaging that Amazon sent it to me in, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I'll wait to receive it back before refunding but will probably just give back the full amount. If I do a partial refund minus the shipping I'll just get screwed. What's hilarious is I already have a 10% ebay fee on my account while the payment for the item still has a hold on it. Trying to study for finals and this is bugging me (probably more than it should).

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
thats not true tho is it?

i understand if you simply look up the warranty from these companies, they might simply say 3 years, but if you try to initiate, it doesnt go like that. Gigabyte asks for Proof of purchase, Asus also does, same with MSI. So basically having the card means nothing really, atleast in my part of the US.

ive initiated plenty of RMA/warranty, i dont ever recall any company having a "if your in possession of it , we'll pay for its repairs free ofcharge" policy.

Asus "This warranty applies only to products that are new on the date of purchase from an authorized ASUS product reseller. "
aka, First owner only.
You might be able to scam them by getting the original proof of purchase from the first owner, but when you apply for warranty or return, it better have the first owners Info. The only company I've ever known of ,that have cover you if you're in possession of it is PNY , if you bought the xlr8 series gpu & registered it within a month or so of purchase, as that one model careies a lifetime warranty. Often ram will carry a similar coverage, but for gpu's its not at all common

Yes, you need the original buyer to use warranty, that applies almost everywhere. But honestly, that is not how the game should be played IMO. If you sell a card with warranty on it, at least that's how I roll, I also ask an extra bit of money for that compared to other cards on the market without it. So that means I will be able to use my proof of purchase to also use the warranty and I would tell the buyer that's how it'd go, until the period has expired.

You guys are right. I sold it on ebay and it has been awful. For whatever reason the guy refused the shipment and it is being sent back to me, and this is after I paid $15 to ship it. It was to a PO box and the tracking states "item was refused by the addressee." I haven't received any message explaining why and I'm not even sure what to do now. I packaged it in literally the same box and packaging that Amazon sent it to me in, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I'll wait to receive it back before refunding but will probably just give back the full amount. If I do a partial refund minus the shipping I'll just get screwed. What's hilarious is I already have a 10% ebay fee on my account while the payment for the item still has a hold on it. Trying to study for finals and this is bugging me (probably more than it should).
If you contact eBay and the buyer. Agree to void the sale. eBay will refund the fee. You might have to file a dispute. Non payment. Then they have to respond. The process takes time. Unless you sent it to the wrong address

Processor Ryzen 5900X OC 5150Mhz
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling Custom EKWB for CPU, VRM's & GPU with 2x 480mm Rads
Memory Gskill TridentZ 3600 Mhz C17
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB x 2 Raid0
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG272CQR 27 1440p x2
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) onboard 7.1 HD Audio
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1300w PSU
Mouse Logitech G300s
Keyboard Logitech G19s
Software Windows 10 64Bit
Benchmark Scores R20 : 9329 Timespy: 21455
If it's a PO Box, I know some can be set up for letters only and no parcels so could have been rejected for that reason.

Then again, I tend to refuse to post to PO boxes.

If you contact eBay and the buyer. Agree to void the sale. eBay will refund the fee. You might have to file a dispute. Non payment. Then they have to respond. The process takes time. Unless you sent it to the wrong address

Yeah, I haven't paid the fee yet so I just need them to cancel. Their support is really bad (can only contact them via phone call) so I imagine I'll have issues with resolving this too. The bigger problem is being out $15, wasting my time, and still having to sell the thing again.

If it's a PO Box, I know some can be set up for letters only and no parcels so could have been rejected for that reason.

Then again, I tend to refuse to post to PO boxes.

Thought about that after I shipped it, but I think the post office held the package. It said "Available for Pickup" then a few hours later it said it was refused by the addressee. Good advice not shipping to PO boxes

Edit: I guess the postal service made a big mistake and updated it as rejected when it was actually received. got good feedback and appears resolved. Anyone wondering I made about $105 before $20 in fees/postage, though I have seen a few 4GB go for around $120.

Last edited: