• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Server Dell poweredge 2900 As Gaming PC !?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I just got my hands on one of these too for cheap and I need help lol.
It's a poweredge gen 3 2900
X5460 zeons

I did the pcie modd on the board and my gtx960 didn't work but my old gt9500 worked fine and windows even installed the right driver on a update but I needed to get the 960 working so I tried a riser cable extention I had and it worked, so dremmel out and I mounted the card on the side of the outside of the case.

Running it for about 2 weeks when I had and brain wave to fit the gt9500 and get 5gb. What stupid idea that was ands I had previously read that windows 10 don't allow it. After swapping my working gtx960 to all the other pcie slot it stopped working and I can't get it to work again.

Next I tried removing the drac ribbon cable and boom TV came on but it is now saying I to plug in the power but it's plug in, I used a spare moles that was knocking around and stole the power from the floppy. This is driving me crazy

Wasteful spending.

Personally, if you really want to play with old stuff, go to Ebay and grab dual-socket or even quad-socket rackmount or tower.

Those are wonderful to play with hardware wise and you will have a lot of fun fiddling with them. And you will learn a fair amount that there are computers outside of gaming PC builds.

G1tana

Personally, if you really want to play with old stuff, go to Ebay and grab dual-socket or even quad-socket rackmount or tower.

Those are wonderful to play with hardware wise and you will have a lot of fun fiddling with them. And you will learn a fair amount that there are computers outside of gaming PC builds.

I though I had a dual socket, tower

will0w

G1tana any chance i could get a couple pictures of the mod for the pcie slot you did using a dremel tool. I have a 960 gtx laying around i want to try out in a server i picked up from work. They were throwing it away so I took it home. If i can get it work inside of this tower I was thinking of using the extra liquid cooling racks and other things extra i have lying around to really bump this thing up.

G1tana

20170419_200749.jpg 20170419_200737.jpg 20170419_200852.jpg 20170419_200905.jpg

I did have the gpu mounted on the outside as it would only work with the riser cable but now it inside and working fine. I modded the fans with a 22r and a 10r resistor in series and it dropped them enough to be within the threshold and so no need to modd bios, it is much more quiet still has a little hum but I can live with that.

will0w

Thank's for the pics. Good to heAR u got it working inside the case again. Just got my video card in and forgot to order another 4 pin powe plug for the other slot. So waiting on that now but testing it with a older 1gb card that requires no extra power for it. Got it to install but it won't pick up my monitor which kinda sucks. Guess I'll have to wait for this coming week to try the 4gb card I got in when the adapter arrives.

Thanks again for the pics

I just acquired a 2950 gen I and actually plan to just use it as a computer, but have been researching upgrading the video since the on-board is dead slow.

There are actually some x8 cards out there that can just plug in. Just not sure if it will work since it seems like cards are hit or miss. In all my searches, only a handful of cards that people have confirmed as working, and none of these being an x1 or x8 card.

The SAS card and SAS drives can be killer fast too (up to15k rpm), although not ssd, very fast hard drives and built-in raid 0 capabilities can make them even quicker. A lot of potential for this 'old machine'.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I just acquired a 2950 gen I and actually plan to just use it as a computer, but have been researching upgrading the video since the on-board is dead slow.

There are actually some x8 cards out there that can just plug in. Just not sure if it will work since it seems like cards are hit or miss. In all my searches, only a handful of cards that people have confirmed as working, and none of these being an x1 or x8 card.

The SAS card and SAS drives can be killer fast too (up to15k rpm), although not ssd, very fast hard drives and built-in raid 0 capabilities can make them even quicker. A lot of potential for this 'old machine'.

Pcie ssds in raid can be even faster than a 10-15K drive

Pcie ssds in raid can be even faster than a 10-15K drive
They can, but at what cost? Vendors are dumping the hardware for this platform for dirt cheap these days. A single pcie ssd is going to cost 2x more than I'll have tied up in this entire server. A dual xeon cpu upgrade was $7 shipped...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
They can, but at what cost? Vendors are dumping the hardware for this platform for dirt cheap these days. A single pcie ssd is going to cost 2x more than I'll have tied up in this entire server. A dual xeon cpu upgrade was $7 shipped...

The craze now is m.2 all out speed still goes to pcie

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10

If you're using it for a gaming PC as the thread title speaks, on-board video is pretty much out.

What are the system specs of the "2950 gen" you speak of???

The craze now is m.2 all out speed still goes to pcie
Oh as far as all out speed, you won't be able to beat a pcie solution.

But when it comes to a cost/performance ratio, I think this cheap old stuff may have some potential. I dunno. I don't plan to use it that way--just a nice w7 machine with 32gb of RAM 2 dual core xeons and an sas boot drive. Won't be super fast (or maybe even fast), but for <$100, it will have some serious bang for the buck.

If you're using it for a gaming PC as the thread title speaks, on-board video is pretty much out.

What are the system specs of the "2950 gen" you speak of???
Oh no way I'm gaming on this (or anything else--too expensive).

The 2950 came in 3 different generations which limit what xeon processors could be used. The one I have can't use quad cores, but the gen 3s can take 2 quad cores for some decently stout performance cpu-wise.

In terms of graphics, that's where the serious bottleneck would be for gaming as you've got 1 x8 slot at best and no real power going to that slot. So a passive cooled card will be fine for general computing, but definitely not good for any type of gaming.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
I'll be able to fart faster then a locked down Zeon quad core, as mentioned fifty times your wasting your money.

I'll be able to fart faster then a locked down Zeon quad core, as mentioned fifty times your wasting your money.
That's great. Fart away. More hot air coming out of either end of you...