• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Server Migration Suggestions

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
I mentioned earlier in the Homelab Club thread here that I'm looking at migrating to an actual server platform from my Gaming PC-as-a-Server setup now. Really my biggest reason for that is to upgrade my kid's PC's to 4790K's and Z87 Pro's, and give myself a good reason to upgrade my own PC. Or just use my gaming laptop until I do have the funds and parts. :)

I have two Lenovo TS430 cases, and have combined the parts to have one tower that has both 4X3.5" backplanes, both 450W redundant PSU's, etc. I got one for free that had one backplane, and it was cheaper to pick up another barebones TS430 off of fleabay to get the extra backplane and an extra PSU.

I've been slowly mulling how I am going to use this server. I could use the included MB and CPU, which are Sandy Bridge based iirc. 4C 8T CPU, the e3 1230 v1. I have a spare mainboard, spare IPMI module, but it needs unbuffered ECC DDR3, and going from the current 2x4GB of that to 4x8GB is going to be horrendous to the point there's no way in hell I can justify the cost...I can get much better hardware and or more REG'd ECC DDR3 on a better platform for that cost. And no the platform doesn't support non-ECC memory otherwise I'd go with that.

But I still have a good case with the 8x3.5 backplane setup I desire in a tower config that works better for what I have to work with. I have all the caddies which I picked up quite cheap as well and I'm slowly filling the empty slots with 3TB 7.2K 7K4000 HGST HDD's where my lowly budget allows. They will be connected to a 9270i with cache and capacitor when I do get this server project online. Currently running on the Lenovo board in Server 2016 off a 120GB SSD for testing purposes.

So that leads me to my next range of thoughts, options and issues.

• I'm thinking of picking up a Supermicro X9SRH-7F and an E5-2680v2 off of eBay when I have the funds and can snag a good deal.
    • That'll get me IPMI, 10C/20T which with the amount of VM's I'm running on my core server with 4C/8T should give me a little boost in some aspects...though I expect the clock deficiency will hurt a little too.
  • But I would be able to go beyond 32GB of RAM, and DDR3 ECC REG is at least more in the affordable range of things.

That leads into the next issues if I stick with the TS430 case.

• The front panel connector is proprietary. But I can pick up a TS440 FP module for around $40, which then I can get a cheap adapter at around $10 that'll make it work with more standard boards.
    • Looking at the TS430 and TS440 FP modules, they appear almost identical except for how they connect. I wouldn't be able to use the TS440's USB3 FP ports, but that's not a deal breaker.
  • The next issue, is IF I end up having to ditch the hot swap PSU's and PSU cage, going to a standard ATX PSU, I'll have to wire up some sort of adapters for the 8-pin mini pci-e/eps style power connectors for the backplanes.
    • I can't imagine this would be too tough, as there appears to be some ground, some 5v red and some 12v yellow wires, but I need to boot it and backprobe with my DMM to make sure.
  • The case itself can fit whatever I want to throw in there, the fans are in good shape and easy to replace, there's plenty of room to do whatever I want really.
  • Take enough action to keep the backplanes fully functional.

I've even debated migrating my Z87 combo over to this case, which puts me in the same boat but with better storage options and still having to resolve backplane wiring stuff.

I haven't hacked or modified anything and could just as easily offload the Lenovo stuff and go a different direction. I really only snagged it for the hopes it would make migrating to at least a server-grade case with backplanes and redundant PSU's less of a headache. Knowing proprietary designs may hamper progress was expected, but I'm not uber worried either...just really held up mostly by lack of a budget.

With all that said, is there anybody that has worked or modded these cases?

Is there another barebones server case/option I could use to drop in that Supermicro/e5 combo I'm planning on that would be less work and maintain what I'm seeking? The redundant PSU's is more of something I'd desire to have than mission critical TBH...this isn't a professional production server, but it will run everything my home relies on media/gaming/communication-wise. I do want an easily accessible hot-swap backplane setup for up to 8x3.5" drives, for me that's easier than digging into a case every time a HDD fails, or a configuration change needs to be accomplished.

But I do wonder if I should drop the Lenovo stuff and look at an HP or Dell? I almost had a Supermicro case...but it was priced a bit too premium for my budget right now.

As it stands I'm about $125 invested into the Lenovo stuff, which I could easily recoup as a coworker is interested in getting the towers from me knowing that there are so many spare parts available. I'm not ready to give it up yet and am thinking I can do a SATA or PATA to the 8-Pin connectors to power the backplanes, and if so, in theory I should be a-okay.

Before I go any further, I figured I'd see what input I could get here. The /r/ Homelab section wasn't responsive to my initial inquiry which is fine. I'm pretty sure I can get this sorted, but if someone sees an easier way to achieve my goals on a very small budget, I'm open to suggestions and tips! I realize what I'm aiming to do is going to be more work than funds, that's where I'm at right now and it should make this project a little more fun anyways.

:toast:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
hm a conundrum indeed. I personally had a TD200, iv worked witha few of the newer units but I cant say its not more of the same. Personally I got out of my Lenovo gear, the biz website is difficult to navigate and the system loud power hungry and difficult to manage. I went with Super micros personally but I love the Dell 710s 720s and 610s. Another platform id love to hop on is interestingly gigabyte some of there offers are surprising.

A vote for supermicro in my case though is I have never had issues with case mounting. I have 2x boards currently in my home lab that are bolted into random tower cases. They also fit perfect in off brand rack mount cases I got (2U EVEN!). They do make ATX power supplies that have redundant modules but they are very expensive. I know this is mission critical and I can understand. However with some of the money you might be saving not going that route might be better invested into a IntelNUC and practicing VM failover clustering. Its almost like the best of both worlds if you lose a PSU and faw less energy draw.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
I've almost gone 710/720 a few times...but my current living situation leaves me nowhere to hide a noisy rack server. The tower is pretty quiet, and the PSU's are once it starts up...at least with the original mobo still in.

I actually was eyeballing a T420 not too long ago..but wasn't sure I wanted to go that route yet. I've seen a couple T620's floating around as well.

I've done more white label as well for clients, just not able to get the funds I need to do what I want lol. Someday though!

I hate the Lenovo biz website, and their warranty department through IBM is a pain in the ass too. But we've previously sold a lot of em over the years, and more-so picked up clients that have been sold Lenovo's from other MSP's...we've gone away from Lenovo. I'm just hoping to do something affordable really. I could stick with my current setup until it fails. I'm too stubborn for that, now I just gotta figure out what I'm willing to do, mod, live without or pay for.

Maybe sticking with the TS430 case isn't a bad idea if I can get it all sorted. All I really need is a working backplane for the data array. The hot swap PSU's really aren't necessary...more of a bonus. I have a decent UPS that'll give it ample time to safely shut down and spare ATX PSU's. The TS430 setup is just convenient due to proprietary connections and pretty affordable hot swap modules...but only 450W. Plenty for what I'm doing tho. If I were going dual CPU I'd remove it regardless and slap a 750 in.

I am thinking I may keep the other TS430 and get it booted with the old TS430 CPU and mobo just for failover, replication and whatever. First and foremost, testing the backplane connector to confirm voltage and getting a crimp/termination kit and some connectors... :D