• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[server2000/2nics]network problems

Tovenaar

Hello Techpowerup,

I hope someone can help me with this problem.

I am following an IT training on school. 3 days a week I have to follow an intership at a company. The current company I 'work' for doesn't have an IT Administrator except for me. So it's pretty messed up here. I won't bother you with all the problems and frustrations I have here. But I really am desperate about a network problem I have here.

There is a connection problem with a lot of timeouts and delays. every minute a few. I tried to ping to the modem from a few pcs at the same time. And the only place there weren't timeouts and delays were at the server directly connected to the modem.

So I'm thinking as it is a server with 2 networkcards, (one for the modem, and the other one for the LAN) that there is a connection problem between the 2 networkcards. How can I test this? the os of the server is Server 2000 SP4. I already updated the networkcarddrivers.

We don't have a domain so everything works with workgroups.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
René

Tovenaar

Well... It doesn't do much really. It is a central point for a network share. It's the connection point for vpnconnections, but no-one uses it. There is a mail and firewall installed which is called Kerio. But it is expired for 4 years(!) already. There is only one mail-account installed, which they still use. The other accounts are on the domain of the website. If needed I can install a new server.. They are willing to spend money on it. But I need to know if the server is the problem. And the network can't be down for long, because it broadcasts a radio. Maybe, I can direct the broadcast directly to the modem. is that an idea?

Well, if it's not the gateway anyway, try using the modem as gateway instead. The server will still be accessible in the same way.

As for a 4 year old Kerio mail server, check if it isn't an open relay. That might cause quite some issues.

Tovenaar

Sorry, it is configured as the gateway. Maybe I can change it in the dhcp options. Cause every pc connects through it.

Open relay is off thanks for the tip. I didn't know that option!

Well, you can have DHCP give out another gateway address, but you'd still require the modem to act as gateway, if it can't the reason the server is in between is obvious.

Tovenaar

Hey again, sorry for the late reply.. Problems problems and more problems.. I tried switching the networkcard for the lan. To exclude problems with the networkcard. Man.. It wouldn't send packages (just a few) but it received a lot. clients couldn't ping the networkcard either. but the server could ping to clients. After a few hours troubleshooting I solved the problem --> the firewall still recognised the old network card.. wich I deleted from it, also the hidden one in device manager. But I still receive the message that the ipadres is in use by an other network card.

If I ping from a client to a client, will it go directly to the client? Or will it go through the server?

Tovenaar

Hello. I switched the internal network.. But now I can't even ping to google from the lan. https is blocked too. Can anyone help me with this problem? I can reach https and ping from the server itself.

What is the servers IP? If the server works and the rest doesn't it might be that the modem/router is in bridge mode, ie you'd get your external ISP on the server and it would ignore the rest of the machines.

If your server does have its normal internal address it might be the DHCP settings, are the clients getting the right IP/subnet/gateway addresses?

Tovenaar

I think so, maybe it's configured wrong.

this is the output on the server of ipconfig /all

E:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : rpserver1
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Intern:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139(A) PCI Fast Ethernet
Adapter #3