• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Service manuals for GPUs. Is this a thing?

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Yeah :\ i did some tests yesterday and found more bad capacitors. Probably i'm going to spend a couple of hours taking those off and measure them. Could order them on Mouser though, i don't have any stock of MLCCs.
Just from pics I see lots of oxidation. The issue may be not just caps, but the PCB itself. BTW, the cheapest source of caps is donor boards. Also, it's the most reliable source of information, if you don't have schematics (or PCB pics off internet, if you are lucky enough to find hi-res pics of your specific model).

Regarding the topic of schematics and service manuals, it's like pink unicorns nowadays. OEMs themselves rarely fix hardware issues on GPUs, and because of that employees of said OEMs (or authorized third-party service providers) rarely leak these docs 'cause they don't get those either. At least not as often as motherboard schematics. I think over the past 3-4 years all I managed to find, is a couple of boardview files for GT730, some GTX950/960 and one variant of GTX1080. That's about it. I don't think I've ever seen a schematic or BRD for anything AMD-related since 7000-series.

System Name Development and Gaming system
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900X @ 4.4 All core OC and 1.335 Undervolt
Motherboard ASUS X570-P Prime
Cooling Gamer Storm Castle 360EX White (Push Pull 6 Fans)
Memory G'Skill RipJaw 16GBx2 3600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage 1TB Gen 4 M.2 3D NAND, 1TB Western Digital Blue SSD, 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda HD.
Display(s) 24" 100Hz IPS and 22" OLED, Oculus Rift and Quest 2
Case Thermaltake Commander C31 Snow with Dual 200MM intake fans.
Audio Device(s) Roland/Cakewalk SPS-66 6 input 6 output DAW and onboard for games.
Power Supply Corsair RM1000
Mouse Deft Pro Trackball
Keyboard Logitech Wave
Software Not enough room on this page.
Benchmark Scores No idea but I'll find some to leave.
Interesting to see all the interest in electronic repair but there is a general lack of knowledge about SMDs in general. For instance, people believe you can "brick" a GPU by having a bad VBIOS flash or corrupt file. Your VBIOS is just an EEPROM and can be erased and reprogrammed on the GPU with a clip adapter without having to even replace it. More importantly, a standard multimeter should not be used to troubleshoot a GPU. The leads alone on a multimeter are too wide and make probing the PCB dangerous as you can easily end up shorting components accidentally. Always use an Oscilloscope to probe and test. IT is much faster than any method of tracing with a multimeter. Simply walk the circuits from front to back and if your signal drops before the output you know where the problem is. This applies to ALL electronics. I learned it in the 80s then joined the U.S. Army to work in aviation electronics (Avionics). I suggest anyone who is serious about repairing their own GPU or purchasing broken GPUs to repair and sell to purchase a book on basic electronics so you can learn the fundamentals before heading blindly into trying to repair a GPU based on feedback in posts. Once you understand basic electronics you can expand your knowledge easily. With the present E-Waste problem and a shortage of semiconductors to replace these GPUs it only makes sense to stop throwing your money in the trash and learn how to deal with the problem yourself. At one point you couldn't use a PC, you played FPS and lost a lot, you couldn't change the oil on your car, etc... It's not that hard nor does it take a lot of money to build the tools and knowledge to fix anything. It takes patience and learning that's it. Now go make yourself rich selling crypto miners and gamers GPUs you hand pick by the symptoms in the description and fix in 20 minutes to an hour. Then turn it around and make 5x your investment.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Sadly yes, how ever with the push of Right To Repair it might change one day. If only more people would complain.

All so

Storage 1TB Gen 4 M.2 3D NAND, 1TB Western Digital Blue SSD, 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda HD.
Audio Device(s) Roland/Cakewalk SPS-66 6 input 6 output DAW and onboard for games.
Mouse Deft Pro Trackball
Keyboard Logitech Wave
Sadly yes, how ever with the push of Right To Repair it might change one day. If only more people would complain.

All so

Louis is a great technician and definitely is fighting for Right to Repair on the front lines. You are correct that more people need to stand up and demand the Right to Repair so things like service manuals and components will be readily available for everyone. I don't see what the problem is anyway. Most people would rather pay for a new GPU than spend hours repairing the one they have. It's the way of the world now. Replace, don't repair, and it's killing our planet.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
If it was profitable to repair, repair shops wouldn't be shutting down everywhere.

Mouse Deft Pro Trackball
Keyboard Logitech Wave
That's hilarious considering I had 56 work requests in 10 hours the last time I posted this service. It takes me about 20 minutes to diagnose and maybe 20 to rework something difficult. I charge $50 to $150 depending on the service and it's not difficult compared to what I was trained to work on. So how is it not profitable? Oh yes, that would be because everyone is not capable which is the point. Not profitable for you. Extremely profitable for me. Especially when a crypto-miner wants 15 GPUs reworked at a time. Do you know who made the most money during the gold rush? That would be the guy selling the picks and shovels. In this current age of crypto mining, GPUs are the picks and shovels. Not only can I keep my hash rate high I can also make money increasing the capability of others. I'm a game developer and I'm doing this on the side to fund the game. So far it's been nothing but profit so you might want to advertise your services to the correct demographic? Best of Luck

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Last edited: