• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Setting up VMware for i7 920

nflesher87

Staff
Ok so I attempted to follow the walk through at oc.net: http://www.overclock.net/overclock-net-folding-home-team/286879-guide-linux-smp-vmware.html
With no luck. I have VMware 3.0 downloaded so that I'll only have to run two instances since 3.0 supports 4 cores now.
My main problem is getting any linux OS to operate in VMware, I can't seem to get past a cmd prompt and to an actual desktop.
Has anyone found a better/newer tutorial?

Thanks in advance :)

And btw, recently switched to folding for TPU from my school so watch out, I'll be climbing the ranks :D

Once you extract and configure it through the VMware player, open up the VM in notepad and set it like in this pic. I hope I'm not confusing you.

Last edited:
No prob!:toast: You should be getting around 10K PPD with two instances running on that i7.

nflesher87

Staff
No prob!:toast: You should be getting around 10K PPD with two instances running on that i7.

frickin A :D

hmmm, having trouble getting FAHMon to monitor? I used the script he said: \\<your ip>\c\etc\folding\1\
inputting the ip for each instance...

nflesher87

Staff
Lol, I just had to check! :laugh: Did you drag the folder containing the VM into FahMon and then put that script with your ip in the "Location" box?

how would that change it?

why don't you just tell me exactly how you do it? ;)

All I did was drag the folder containing the F@H VM into FahMon:

then replace what is in the location box with \\Your IP\c\etc\folding\1\. That should do it.

No prob :toast: How much PPD are you putting out? With my PII 720 on four cores @ 3.6Ghz I get about 5000 PPD. I would expect yours to be much higher, especially if your i7 is OC'd.

nflesher87

Staff
ironically I've not taken the time to OC it yet
with a GPU core running I'm netting 11000ppd total
~3500/cpu for 7k total
tm is OC time :D