1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Settlers VI -- possibly a demanding game?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Black Panther, May 19, 2008.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've always played any game on my rig without any glitches or crashes (including Crysis, Oblivion, The Sims2 with all expansion packs, Two Worlds...)

Yesterday I installed Settlers VI and I noticed my graphics card fan really revving up high, much more than it even does for Crysis and Oblivion...
    Monitoring temp log with Atitool gave me the highest temperature of 83 degrees... :wtf:

After playing for some 2 hours (probably it was more since I didn't really watch the clock while playing) the picture on the monitor froze and I heard the gpu fan slowing down (ie because gpu wasn't rendering graphics).

I alt-tabbed out of the game, and all became normal. GPU temp was 83 peak.
    I re-entered the game (to save it!) and after saving it froze again and I had to alt-tab back out. :confused:

I was playing with my 8800GT at stock clocks.

What do you think?

2. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    The graphics in that trailer looks really good. Is it a RTS? Thats what it came as to me but im not sure.

3. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    The graphics are good.

It's a RTS, kinda you're a god and control your tribe, build houses, make an army etc. Kinda like Civilization, though I never played Civilization (got to get it!)

The last one of that series I had played was Settlers III, still had nice graphics for its time though the people all looked the same like little super marios.

4. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Thats a weird one bp ive got the game on my lappy and i never had probs like that as ya can see from my specs it aint beastly :wtf:

5. calvary1980

calvary1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol cute. you said 2 hours did you play any games before that? on older cards you can really notice the fan rev up it's usually for more shader intensive games.

- Christine

6. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    I had been playing Two Worlds before.

Also, when I played Settlers it was all on highest settings.

I will try this afternoon... I'm thinking it might be because I had Coretemp running. Sometimes Coretemp causes an error for me and quits.

Btw, is there a way how I can log the cpu temperature ingame, same as atitool logs the gpu temp ingame?

7. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Hmm maybe u can log via speed fan, theres a temp log for cpu and stuff there before you play though tick the check box on speed fan to log cpu temps and then play... Hope this helped

Btw ms. bp, off the topic, just curious, is Two worlds a good rpg (if it is)? Was looking at it the other day and was thinking of buying it.. Thanks

EDIT: BTW Speedfans temp logs/records/charts or w/e you call em are under the "Charts tab"
    But I don't think you can save em, never inspected the options heh..

8. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Psyko12: I will consider speedfan. It does measure my core temps 15 degrees lower than coretemp but I can take that into consideration.

Two Worlds is a good rpg... depending on your experience of rpg.
    Basically I was disappointed because I liked Oblivion and this game is described on the box as "Oblivion on steroids"... and uhh well at least graphically it leaves a lot to be desired. The object textures are low, and the NPC's look like those in Morrowind.

And... make sure that if you decide to buy it, purchase from a locality in your own time-zone. :rolleyes:

9. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    I was playing again today (without coretemp running and without AtiTool logging) and after like 4 hours :)o) the pc not only froze but rebooted.

:slap: Now I think I remember.
    When I oc'd my rig I had had it stable for something around 12+ hours, but the cpu vcore had been 1.375V....
    Now since then I did game but not for hours at a stretch like I do with a brand new game. Also, after I oc'd it last June, randomly I reduced the voltage, first to 1.35V and if I remember correctly right now I have it at 1.3275... :slap:

Apologies to Ubisoft for blaming their game lol!:eek:

10. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the consideration of my advice, and for the opinion on Two Worlds, was eyeballing the game weeks ago hehe... Btw did the voltages fix your problem? Hope you sorted it out! Thanks again miss. :D :respect:

11. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Settlers has always been a RTS but by far one of the most involved and demanding RTS games I have ever played. I started out with Settlers III and I really enjoyed it at first but after the 2nd or 3rd level where I took hours to build an entire army just to take on the enemy (Africans I think?) and it started the next level with nothing? I wasn't going to continue. It was very cool back then though.

12. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Yup, I had totally forgotten about having reduced cpu voltage some months ago - :eek: - I set cpu vcore to 1.35 and yesterday I played the game for more than 5 hours I guess...

One thing which is very baffling:

You can see in my first post I said the temperature of the gpu was 83 degrees during Settlers VI.
    After putting cpu voltage slightly higher, yesterday I checked AtiTool's log and gpu temperature never went above 74 degrees!:eek:

Now everything had remained the same - same game (actually same map of game), same graphical settings, same stock gpu clock, same cpu oc, same room temperature.

But the difference between 83 degrees and 74 degrees is a whole 9 degrees cooler and there must be an explanation for that.

I had gone to check because I wasn't hearing the fan. At 83 degrees the fan whines, at 74 degrees it's barely audible.

Does it make sense that if CPU vcore is too low for stability, other components like the graphics card generate more heat? That's the only way this could be explained. :confused:

13. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Glad you resolved the problem, but for the mysterious vcore + gfx card that I do not know.