• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Several European Countries to Miss Diablo Immortal Over Lootbox Regulations

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S
Memory 4x Kingston HyperX 16G 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix 4800
Case Inwin 909
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 P2
Mouse Razer Lancehead Wireless
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 TKL
Software Debian Linux / Win11
IDK if PoE is considere p2w but all games have black markets for in-game goods around them. Chinese click farms FTW. With them everything turns to p2w.
In general I have nothing against buying and selling items. But usually these p2w games have mechanics adapted for lootboxes and spending unreasonable amount of time grinding. I could play and finish PoE with similar effort as Diablo 2, just got tired of the game.

In general I have nothing against buying and selling items. But usually these p2w games have mechanics adapted for lootboxes and spending unreasonable amount of time grinding. I could play and finish PoE with similar effort as Diablo 2, just got tired of the game.
I thought it was meant to be played like that, too. Then I got carried over with online parties and had the characters buffed to max levels. Plus, I got decent gear.

Then I started thebsolo campaign. Way more enjoyable this way. Then it was back in the party grind.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Who will miss anything 'Diablo' after LoD? Now that we have PoE?

And Grim Dawn.... and Torchlight... and a few dozen other spinoffs :p
Heck even Diablo 2 was remade and its still better while being the exact same as always.

It will be very interesting how bad D4 is going to be. I'm no longer hyped for it, but definitely watching to confirm Blizzard has definitively lost the plot. Or maybe... they go for redemption and create another killer app... one can dream. I could honestly not give sufficient F's anymore, because Grim Dawn 2 is also coming eventually, and there's a certain guarantee it'll just work: its built by devs that know what a gamer needs, not what would create the fattest revenue.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
and its about time more EU countries join our club of protecting young gamers from what is obvious gambling practices.
Their Mom's wallet agrees.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed/-130mV undervolt'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
And Grim Dawn.... and Torchlight... and a few dozen other spinoffs :p
Heck even Diablo 2 was remade and its still better while being the exact same as always.

It will be very interesting how bad D4 is going to be. I'm no longer hyped for it, but definitely watching to confirm Blizzard has definitively lost the plot. Or maybe... they go for redemption and create another killer app... one can dream. I could honestly not give sufficient F's anymore, because Grim Dawn 2 is also coming eventually, and there's a certain guarantee it'll just work: its built by devs that know what a gamer needs, not what would create the fattest revenue.

D2 remaster is a becoming more different over time, it already had some updates/changes that did not exist in the original.
I'm talking about balance/quality of life updates and whatnot, core game is still the same ofc.
My old D2 friend/play group wanted to drag me back but I said nah 7+ years was enough for me but in overall they were happy with the remaster and played it like old times. 'Thats why they wanted me back cause I used to be their Über Trist dedicated boss killer for Torch farming/selling :laugh:'

I'm not crazy hyped for D4 but I'm sure it won't be so bad that I can't have my fun with it my way, I mean after all I did like D3 for what it is so yea the bar is not exactly set high on my end..:oops:

Grim Dawn 2 I totally agree, that I can say for sure that it will be a solid game to play in this genre just like the first one.
At least the developers of that game do communicate with the fan base and know what they want, always found that very positive about them.:)

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
Its not Mobile only anymore tho, will be playable on PC too with some GFX improvements and whatnot with cross save possible between PC and Mobile. 'like its written in that blue post'
This lootbox/micro transaction regulation also happeend with Lost Ark Western relase in those countries as far as I know.

Wasn't FIFA Ultimate Team also banned in the Netherlands for their loot boxes? It's btw. what they make their most money with.

I just don't understand how people can be that dumb to throw hundreds sometimes even thousands out of the window for an advantage in a video game that will be outdated after a year when the next FIFA game comes out. :shadedshu: There are just too many dumb folks out there who needs protection from this addiction.

Its free anyway so I'm gonna give it a try in a casual free2play way. 'Don't give a crap about having the best nor to compete with anyone'

You play a game where you are at an disadvantage if you don't spend money for better stuff? Like why ??? :confused:

a european pair of lootbox resistent countries
poor that germany didn´t join em

Not going to happen. The gambling industry has a too big influence on our politicians. ;)

Also online gambling, currently only legal in Schleswig Hollstein (as noted in the dumb commercials on TV), will soon be legalized across Germany.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed/-130mV undervolt'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
You play a game where you are at an disadvantage if you don't spend money for better stuff? Like why ??? :confused:

Cause I'm not a competitive person and I couldn't care less if someone has a better time/rank on the leaderboards or better at PvP which I'm not even planning to play in the first place.
I play for my own reasons and goals and those does not need/require money spent.

I never cash out/whale in free2play games and I played quite a few in the past ~10 years 'MMOs mainly', at most I spend on cosmetics when I'm already long term playing a game.
So far I managed to play like that just fine, as long as I can do the PvE content and slowly progress as a free2play player I'm good.

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
Cause I'm not a competitive person and I couldn't care less if someone has a better time/rank on the leaderboards or better at PvP which I'm not even planning to play in the first place.
I play for my own reasons and goals and those does not need/require money spent.

I never cash out/whale in free2play games and I played quite a few in the past ~10 years 'MMOs mainly', at most I spend on cosmetics when I'm already long term playing a game.
So far I managed to play like that just fine, as long as I can do the PvE content and slowly progress as a free2play player I'm good.

Sure, in PvE you could live with it. :) But in PvP there is just no fun in it if you're getting owned constantly by better geared opponents.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
So Blizzard, rather than obeying national laws and releasing a version of the game without the unlawful aspects choose instead to ignore those two nations entirely?

What spiteful and pathetic decision! Way to keep it classy Blizzard!

It's going to be available in my country but I'll definitely not be playing this P2W game when loot box gambling.

I've seen some videos on it and man it looks to be one of the most heavily monetised I've seen with 5 levels of legendary gems with drop rates falling off a cliff the higher you go.

With the fact if the reviews are correct that getting a rank 1 legendary gem as F2P nearly impossible and zero for anything else means if you want to be successful you're going to be spending thousands probably 10's of thousands.

These games should be illegal imo.

So Blizzard, rather than obeying national laws and releasing a version of the game without the unlawful aspects choose instead to ignore those two nations entirely?

Isn't Blizzard already obeying said national laws by not officially offering Diablo Immortal in those countries? If a company doesn't want to change their product as to cater to various countries' laws then there's no viable method to force them to do so.

System Name C30 w.2x E2650L v2; T5500 w.2x X5670;2x P35 w.X3360; 2x Q33 w.Q9550S/Q9400S & laptops.
That is OK, as "lootboxes" should be there only for getting faster in the game itself.

Not for finishing the game itself. Than it is not a "lootbox", but "pay for finishing"! :cool:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Good.

As a gamer i avoid any games that rely on lootboxes, and i'm taught my kid why it's a terrible friggin idea despite him only being 7 years old
(Game is free, fun is hidden behind sneaky begging for money, a little bit each day)

We've lost friends over fortnite, as it was used as a babysitter and now they've got 3 boys under 10 who punch holes in walls and have extreme fits of rage if they dont get their V-bucks for their lootcrates because they NEED to have the latest fancy skins and bullcrap. I had a 9 year old attack me because i asked his mum if she knew he was using her credit card - her only solution was to cut internet access for the entire house and go back to a dumbphone so the kids couldnt use her phones data plan.

Didnt work, as they just use the dads/older siblings phones instead, sneak online any second they can, blow other peoples money and then go berserk because they didnt get whatever random thing they wanted anyway

Until you've seen this stuff in person you just cant grasp the scale of how this sort of thing can easily and permanently warp kids. It's worse than adults with drug addictions because the kids cant ever be really punished, but they can keep escalating until they get their fix

Isn't Blizzard already obeying said national laws by not officially offering Diablo Immortal in those countries? If a company doesn't want to change their product as to cater to various countries' laws then there's no viable method to force them to do so.
That's some "special" blame-shifting right there, and is a poor excuse for Blizzard's pathetic choice.

Good.

As a gamer i avoid any games that rely on lootboxes, and i'm taught my kid why it's a terrible friggin idea despite him only being 7 years old
(Game is free, fun is hidden behind sneaky begging for money, a little bit each day)

We've lost friends over fortnite, as it was used as a babysitter and now they've got 3 boys under 10 who punch holes in walls and have extreme fits of rage if they dont get their V-bucks for their lootcrates because they NEED to have the latest fancy skins and bullcrap. I had a 9 year old attack me because i asked his mum if she knew he was using her credit card - her only solution was to cut internet access for the entire house and go back to a dumbphone so the kids couldnt use her phones data plan.

Didnt work, as they just use the dads/older siblings phones instead, sneak online any second they can, blow other peoples money and then go berserk because they didnt get whatever random thing they wanted anyway

Until you've seen this stuff in person you just cant grasp the scale of how this sort of thing can easily and permanently warp kids. It's worse than adults with drug addictions because the kids cant ever be really punished, but they can keep escalating until they get their fix
This, and it's only one example of why lootcrates are a pathetically predatory business tactic.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
That is OK, as "lootboxes" should be there only for getting faster in the game itself.

Not for finishing the game itself. Than it is not a "lootbox", but "pay for finishing"! :cool:
You do understand this is a huge grey area right? Every game with lootboxes that make you go faster is 'pay to finish' because the whole experience is geared towards purchase of said lootboxes.

In other words, you might THINK you'll finish the game without, because that is the strongest commercial sell. 'Play for free!' like every F2P tells you everywhere. There is but a handful of free to play games that are truly playable F2P. Dota 2 comes to mind. It deals exclusively in cosmetic loot box material. No progression. Time is money, too. Some F2P puts such a massive time investment ahead of you every time, you'll feel 'forced' to buy boxes to speed up.

Once progression is tied to a lootbox, you'll never finish the game at all, even if you buy them. What is finishing anyway, in a f2p? They're built to make you come back. The business model is the game and you're the pawn.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

I missed your post and i shouldnt have

That is also a disgusting predatory action, because people who dont have all the spare time in the world usually have a few minutes to sit down and game - and then the game locks them out and says "oh - sorry but you cant play NOW, without paying"

That's like WoW limiting you to 60 minutes a day behind a paywall, to take extra money from people who can only game on weekends.