• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Shadow (by Blade) cloud gaming platform

Processor Ryzen 5900X OC 5150Mhz
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling Custom EKWB for CPU, VRM's & GPU with 2x 480mm Rads
Memory Gskill TridentZ 3600 Mhz C17
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB x 2 Raid0
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG272CQR 27 1440p x2
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) onboard 7.1 HD Audio
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1300w PSU
Mouse Logitech G300s
Keyboard Logitech G19s
Software Windows 10 64Bit
Benchmark Scores R20 : 9329 Timespy: 21455

So both Blade SAS (french based company) and Blade Corp (US based Co) have both filed for bankruptcy.

2CRSi has swooped in and stated they will be taking €30.2m worth of hardware as the equipment is legally owned by them until the leases are paid off. This means other receivers will find it hard to receive any of their monies owed as it will be the bulk of Shadows assets. (Maybe some new GPUs hitting the market soon)

I've been very critical of shadow in the past, (originally they made claims you could play "any game on max settings") and other gimmicky and false claims.

Feel sorry for those who will lose their jobs. Interestingly, Shadow seem to still be accepting subscriptions, at least when I checked earlier.

What annoys me is Shadows attitude, in a statement they said:

This new stage requires a fresh new start. We will undergo a reorganization in order to free ourselves from the debt holding us back to continue the development of our bleeding-edge technology.

So essentially they plan to throw their creditors under the bus and fuck them off, a shitty attitude imo and reinforces my belief I held of them being shady.

Mods.. not sure if best section. Feel free to move.

Last edited:
System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Cloud gaming is shite. It's just software as a service with all the additional problems of latency. The best-case scenario is that it's not too detrimental to the experience and it isn't a complete rip-off in the long-term.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I’ll say the same thing I said to Hellfire, if Google can’t do it nobody can.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
Sony's cloud service sucked too. Cloud no good. :shadedshu:

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Cloud Gaming might work in S Korea where everyone and the Dogs have Gigabyte Connections
Rest of world nah........so these Cloud gaming services will always fold

System Name Dusty
Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X
Storage yes
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750w
VR HMD Oculus CV1
I never really seen the point of it, like.

To have a good experience with cloud gaming you need at least access to a area that has pretty well developed internet, high speeds and low latancy, as well as access to servers nearby. Generally that means a pretty decent area in terms of average income and development. But that does not feel like their target market, at least not the marketing I seen over the years.

And even if it were to be cheap and easy to use, work flawlessly and it looked just like I played it on my own PC, then the thing I would miss is the ability to fuck around with it. Install mods, change inis, heck even something as simple as rebinding keys through a config file because some games still dont let you rebind keys in-game. And I really want to continue to be able to do that.
As well as of course, having the ability to choose quality, graphic settings and framerate. Some games I want all the eyecandy and cinematic ubisoft 24 frames per full moon and sometimes i want 300 fps 4:3 stretched because reasons.

However, as a replacement for a console, if it worked flawlessly as i previously mentioned, maybe? There are still a few console games I like and there are never any settings worth mentioning you can change with them, so on that note they are pretty equal. And not having a annoyingly loud ps4 Pro around wouldn't be that bad because oh boy can that thing scream, pretty sure he was a opera singer in his previous life.

Streaming games locally however, that I do pretty often. Using Nvidia game stream and the moonlight client on my switch is absolutly fabulous. And locally, I cannot notice any difference at all.

v12dock

Block Caption of Rainey Street
Supporter
I used Shadow for a long time, and I never had issues with it but then again I have fiber internet and a 5ms connection to Chicago datacenters. I really can't see cloud gaming taking off until (in the US) copper lines are replaced by fiber. If everyone had a super fast low latency connection then I would invest into gaming as a service.