• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: XeSS vs. DLSS Comparison

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Both Tom's Hardware and Digital Foundry have reviewed SoTTR comparing XeSS and DLSS 2.0. The former also includes XeSS performance on non-Intel hardware.

The Tom's Hardware review focuses more on framerate performance. The Digital Foundry review focuses more on visual quality.

It's important to emphasize that staring at minute zoomed-in details on still frames isn't an accurate approximation of playing a game in real time. There are temporal and motion related quality assessments that aren't apparent in still images. A LOT of people on PC and gaming sites ignore this fact.

The Digital Foundry review opines that these image reconstruction techniques are generally better than native rendering at 4K. You can agree or disagree but it is clear that this technology has improved since the early days of DLSS 1.0. There may be some scenes where image reconstruction looks better and some where it isn't but DF's overall assessment is that image reconstruction is beneficial and desirable: the pros outweigh the cons.

One important takeaway from the Tom's Hardware review is that non-Intel hardware doesn't always benefit from XeSS. In some cases, framerate performance is actually worse include the RX 5700 XT. XeSS on non-Intel hardware shows general improvements with later generation graphics cards (RDNA2, Turing, Ampere). There's also something that ties performance to VRAM memory size.

I suggest reading both reviews since neither one covers all aspects.

Last edited:
System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
It's important to emphasize that staring at minute details on still frames isn't an accurate approximation of playing a game in realtime.
I couldn't agree more. It's easy to drool over still images, recordings and tech demos, but when I'm playing a game and I'm focused on the story / gameplay, I couldn't give a lesser sh*t if I'm seeing DLSS, XeSS or UberSuperSS or whatever as long as there's no apparent distortion of the image like there was with DLSS 1.0 sometimes.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
When you dominate the market, you don't :p

Yep, I don't see why Nvidia would stop locking down it's proprietary tech when gamers have rewarded them for doing so. G-Sync, DLSS, PhysX (or anything else GamesWorks), ect. These features sold a ridiculous amount of cards. Temporary outrage at Nvidia means nothing if those people go ahead and buy Nvidia anyways. GPP, 3.5GB 970, 3000 series cards bricking due to a driver bug? Didn't even put a dent in their brand. People saw the writing on the wall and rewarded them anyways.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
I couldn't agree more. It's easy to drool over still images, recordings and tech demos, but when I'm playing a game and I'm focused on the story / gameplay, I couldn't give a lesser sh*t if I'm seeing DLSS, XeSS or UberSuperSS or whatever as long as there's no apparent distortion of the image like there was with DLSS 1.0 sometimes.

Yes.

This is why savvy gamers don't usually change game settings to Ultra. There's usually very little difference between High and Ultra settings on most games and if you're immersed in the gameplay, you won't notice.

I only set games to Ultra Quality if it's a really old title that I'm playing on modern hardware and getting crazy high fps anyhow.

Too many people (not just here at TPU but everywhere) fixate on still frame minutiae that really doesn't have any practical connection to real time gaming.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
But DLSS is noticeably better. So for the consumer their GPU's are still better... RDNA3 can change that by seriously undercutting Nvidia on pricing, that's if Nvidia can't match it.

It's a tad better, not something you'll notice in realtime gameplay. It's also been around for longer, chances are high that both reach a point where you could use either and not notice a difference.

Yes.

This is why savvy gamers don't usually change game settings to Ultra. There's usually very little difference between High and Ultra settings on most games and if you're immersed in the gameplay, you won't notice.

I only set games to Ultra Quality if it's a really old title that I'm playing on modern hardware and getting crazy high fps anyhow.

Too many people (not just here at TPU but everywhere) fixate on still frame minutiae that really doesn't have any practical connection to real time gaming.
True. I too know of many guys who play on a potato PC with potato graphic settings and could mot care less. They just play the games for the fun.

Edit: but not me. I paid for the Ultra settings, I'm going to use the Ultra settings! :D

Yep, I don't see why Nvidia would stop locking down it's proprietary tech when gamers have rewarded them for doing so. G-Sync, DLSS, PhysX (or anything else GamesWorks), ect. These features sold a ridiculous amount of cards. Temporary outrage at Nvidia means nothing if those people go ahead and buy Nvidia anyways. GPP, 3.5GB 970, 3000 series cards bricking due to a driver bug? Didn't even put a dent in their brand. People saw the writing on the wall and rewarded them anyways.
No. I disagree completely. I've *tolerated* NVIDIA for years mostly due to AMD was just more inferior in one way or another. e.g. decent performances but loud fans or silent fans but high thermals or...

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
I like Supersampling on low resolution TV

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Yes.

IQ reviews must be objective, counting FPS is also objective.

Nothing can be improved if they are perceived as "good enough", graphics and performance would remain stagnant for years.

r9

System Name Primary|Secondary|Poweredge r410|Dell XPS|SteamDeck
Processor i7 11700k|i7 9700k|2 x E5620 |i5 5500U|Zen 2 4c/8t
Memory 32GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|32GB ECC DDR3|8GB DDR4|16GB LPDDR5
Video Card(s) RX 7800xt|RX 6700xt |On-Board|On-Board|8 RDNA 2 CUs
Storage 2TB m.2|512GB SSD+1TB SSD|2x256GBSSD 2x2TBGB|256GB sata|512GB nvme
Display(s) 50" 4k TV | Dell 27" |22" |3.3"|7"
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+ | Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro|Windows 10 Pro|Windows 10 Home| Server 2012 r2|Windows 10 Pro

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Will there be a follow-up article comparing XeSS on non-Intel vs Intel hardware? Supposedly (according to Intel's deep dive presentation on XeSS), Arc hardware-accelerated XeSS uses a more advanced upscaling model. I'm wondering if the result is noticeably better.
Yeah, once the Arc review embargo is up

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
No. I disagree completely. I've *tolerated* NVIDIA for years mostly due to AMD was just more inferior in one way or another. e.g. decent performances but loud fans or silent fans but high thermals or...

Loud fans? You do know fan control is built right into the AMD driver right? Silent fans but high thermals? Increase the fan speed, again built into the driver. These two features in fact were built in way back in the catalyst days.

Want to UV? Built into the driver.

I have cards from both and issues are few and far between. What I see is that people who own a product tend to see negative news on brands in the same market and fashion that like armor around themselves to justify their choice meanwhile they are much more forgiving about problems directed towards products they own. In fact this isn't just my observation, there have been hundreds of psychological studies that have proven this is typical human behavior.

7/10ths of selling is product is about perception, not actual facts about the product.

Loud fans? You do know fan control is built right into the AMD driver right? Silent fans but high thermals? Increase the fan speed, again built into the driver. These two features in fact were built in way back in the catalyst days.

Want to UV? Built into the driver.

I have cards from both and issues are few and far between. What I see is that people who own a product tend to see negative news on brands in the same market and fashion that like armor around themselves to justify their choice meanwhile they are much more forgiving about problems directed towards products they own. In fact this isn't just my observation, there have been hundreds of psychological studies that have proven this is typical human behavior.

7/10ths of selling is product is about perception, not actual facts about the product.
You are talking in the present tense, I was not.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Embargo? Does that mean that you already have one? o_O

I imagine W1zzard does. It takes time to do a thorough review like he does. It will probably be ready to post right when the embargo is lifted.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
You are talking in the present tense, I was not.

Umm did you read the first line of my comment? Guess I have to bold the part that points out these features have been available for some time:

"Loud fans? You do know fan control is built right into the AMD driver right? Silent fans but high thermals? Increase the fan speed, again built into the driver. These two features in fact were built in way back in the catalyst days."

Megas

DLSS and any other version are just Marketing to show off a feature that is really just a crutch. Think about when Cyberpunk came out. Cards couldn't push the frames but Nvidia needed to sell more cards so what do they do? DLSS.
DLSS is like telling someone hey we can increase your engines horse power a little bit but but we're going to have to have to put greased wax paper on your windshield. All the reviewers will dance around and be like WOOOOOOOW more frames, glorious features. Totally justifies spending $600-1,500+ on a companies marketing since g-sync nobody gives a crap about right now. Anyone else remember when image quality wasn't a secondary priority? I feel like if we showed reviewers articles from 2022 in 2010 they'd be like WTF.

Software Windows 10 Pro
DLSS and any other version are just Marketing to show off a feature that is really just a crutch. Think about when Cyberpunk came out. Cards couldn't push the frames but Nvidia needed to sell more cards so what do they do? DLSS.
DLSS is like telling someone hey we can increase your engines horse power a little bit but but we're going to have to have to put greased wax paper on your windshield. All the reviewers will dance around and be like WOOOOOOOW more frames, glorious features. Totally justifies spending $600-1,500+ on a companies marketing since g-sync nobody gives a crap about right now. Anyone else remember when image quality wasn't a secondary priority? I feel like if we showed reviewers articles from 2022 in 2010 they'd be like WTF.
I get ya. What I'll never get about the hype around DLSS is why we praise the quality of an image that has been upscaled from a lower resolution when we also have pure native. I mean, when you have a lower-midrange card and you need a little extra juice for a stable gameplay, sure, do it. But why is it a selling point on a 4080 or 4090?

One important takeaway from the Tom's Hardware review is that non-Intel hardware doesn't always benefit from XeSS. In some cases, framerate performance is actually worse include the RX 5700 XT. XeSS on non-Intel hardware shows general improvements with later generation graphics cards (RDNA2, Turing, Ampere). There's also something that ties performance to VRAM memory size.
The determining factor for whether it's worth using or not is support for DP4a instructions. Any Nvidia cards back to and including Pascal support them, and I can confirm that my GTX 1070 sees healthy gains with XeSS enabled. AMD cards are worse off however. Only the 5500 XT, Radeon VII and RDNA2 support DP4a, meaning any other AMD cards (including the 5700 XT) aren't going to benefit from XeSS, which is a shame.

System Name ❶ Oooh (2024) ❷ Aaaah (2021) ❸ Ahemm (2017)
Processor ❶ 5800X3D ❷ i7-9700K ❸ i7-7700K
Motherboard ❶ X570-F ❷ Z390-E ❸ Z270-E
Cooling ❶ ALFIII 360 ❷ X62 + X72 (GPU mod) ❸ X62
Memory ❶ 32-3600/16 ❷ 32-3200/16 ❸ 16-3200/16
Video Card(s) ❶ 3080 X Trio ❷ 2080TI (AIOmod) ❸ 1080TI
Storage ❶ NVME/SSD/HDD ❷ <SAME ❸ SSD/HDD
Display(s) ❶ 1440/165/IPS ❷ 1440/144/IPS ❸ 1080/144/IPS
Case ❶ BQ Silent 601 ❷ Cors 465X ❸ Frac Mesh C
Audio Device(s) ❶ HyperX C2 ❷ HyperX C2 ❸ Logi G432
Power Supply ❶ HX1200 Plat ❷ RM750X ❸ EVGA 650W G2
Mouse ❶ Logi G Pro ❷ Razer Bas V3 ❸ Logi G502
Keyboard ❶ Logi G915 TKL ❷ Anne P2 ❸ Logi G610
Benchmark Scores I have wrestled bandwidths, Tussled with voltages, Handcuffed Overclocks, Thrown Gigahertz in Jail
Am i correct to take the position both are equally fantastic and where differences arise its only visible when applying special emphasis in set areas/objects which is unrealistically meaningless in real time gameplay? (unless the games you play demand close-up visual perfection)

I have a 1440p display so I only maximised in on the 1440p sample. I sat back at my usual game-play distance from the screen - just over an arms length. Then played around with the slider. Viewing the 2 samples (incl. vid):

1. Casually, which is my usual level of gaming observance I couldn't see hardly any difference

2. With increased level of concentration i agree DLSS does it a little better

3. With close-ups (or zooming in) the difference is wider seeing DLSS is clearly sharper

I'm not bothered about 2, 3, but is anyone here seeing adequately enhanced visual performance differences when observing casually (which best represents your usual level of observance)?

I hope my eyes are intact :eek:

But DLSS is noticeably better. So for the consumer their GPU's are still better... RDNA3 can change that by seriously undercutting Nvidia on pricing, that's if Nvidia can't match it.
to you, in my eyes it has always been too blurry, FSR 2.0 any day for me

Umm did you read the first line of my comment? Guess I have to bold the part that points out these features have been available for some time:

"Loud fans? You do know fan control is built right into the AMD driver right? Silent fans but high thermals? Increase the fan speed, again built into the driver. These two features in fact were built in way back in the catalyst days."
Yeah, you're right. I had stopped reading that stuff after the first couple useless fictional sentences. :sleep:

Embargo? Does that mean that you already have one? o_O
Gelsinger said that they were already sending samples of the ARC 770 LE (Limited Edition) to reviewers some days ago.
I'm not sure gamers rewarded G-Sync that much, Nvidia ended up adopting FreeSync as well. DLSS is a bit like the problem that Tensor cores needed in order to exist on a gaming GPU, but I don't see what is the issue with Nvidia trying to adopt its proprietary tech, they still innovated before anyone else and forced the competition to catch up with them. Gamers/consumers as a whole benefit from this competition.

System Name THU
Processor Intel Core i5-13600KF
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P D4
Cooling SilentiumPC Fortis 3 v2 + Arctic Cooling MX-2
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x16 GB DDR4-3600 CL16 (dual rank)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4070 Ventus 3X OC 12 GB GDDR6X (2610/21000 @ 0.91 V)
Storage Lexar NM790 2 TB + Corsair MP510 960 GB + PNY XLR8 CS3030 500 GB + Toshiba E300 3 TB
Display(s) LG OLED C8 55" + ASUS VP229Q
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V381 + Monitor Audio Bronze 6 + Bronze FX | FiiO E10K-TC + Sony MDR-7506
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Logitech M705 Marathon
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 10 Home
Benchmark Scores Benchmarks in 2024?
Impressive for a first showing.

I just wonder if they will keep evolving this technology even if they cancel their GPU development.

Software Windows 10 Pro
I just wonder if they will keep evolving this technology even if they cancel their GPU development.
As long as games are being developed around it, I think they will. Although, I also think that even if they cancel their GPU development, it won't happen anytime soon. Arc Battlemage is already in development with plans for Celestial in place.

I love the picture in your signature by the way! :roll: