• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Short to ground MB issue? Maybe... help?

Seqoia3

So my custom build has been through many years with me with off and on issues that come up, but I have finally come to one that I cannot beat. I had to purchase a new psu for my build when the previous died of old age I assume. I installed the new psu, and hit the button. The fans spin, the psu clicks, and the led indicator lights on the mb, labeled 'cpu' and 'dram' flash, first cpu then dram, back and forth a couple times, then the system shuts off and tries to boot again. I've researched a bit, and I believe it might be a short to ground on the motherboard, but I need a second opinion for obvious reasons. Any ideas? Is that repairable, or do I need to replace?

Ps. I have tried moving ram sticks around, tried different sticks, removed all peripherals and all. All with the same results. Pretty sure we've screwed the pooch here, but maybe one of y'all can shed a ray of hope lol

System Name Blackbelt 2
Processor AMD FX 8350
Motherboard ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3 evo
Memory 8GB Corsair Value Select DDR3
Video Card(s) ASUS R7260X DC2OC 2GB
Storage INTEL 530 series SSD 120 GB, Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) DELL ST 2240L
Case Cooler Master Elite 311
Power Supply CORSAIR VS Series 550W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 6532
1.take out the motherboard out of the case.
2. check for any loose screws,washers or stand offs..
3.try powering up the motherboard outside the case with only 1 ram stick and no periperals attached.. except graphics card if you dont have onboard video..
4.try another psu..
5.check psu power cord.
6.check your wall power outlet or ups..
7.some motherboards won't power up without the CMOS battery..check cmos battery..

Seqoia3

Same result outside of the case. Every stick, in any bay. No peripherals. All cords are new. Wall outlet is alright. Cmos battery installed still. No loose anything. The back of the motherboard seems to have some dust residue.
As I was typing this, the machine was booting and rebooting and it did seem to make it successfully to a bootup, but it stopped and made 5 long beeps and then rebooted. It hasn't repeated that a second time, but its still looping after the led indicators flash and the psu clicks a few times.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Five beeps on older rigs meant the CPU did its last calculation. Either dead, improperly powered, or somehow not recognized by the motherboard.

Maybe when the PSU died, it took other bits with it, or those bits overloaded the PSU and all had a shindig full of electrical dysfunction.

Seqoia3

So if I must replace parts, should I do motherboard or cpu or something else first?

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
So if I must replace parts, should I do motherboard or cpu or something else first?
Not sure where you are in the world, but maybe ask a local shop to have a look. I say this as they are also most likely to have access to parts for testing.