• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Shorted 16x PCIE slot dodgy repair(story time!)

System Name The El Cheapo!
Processor AMD 5200+ Dual Core 2.7ghz AM2
Motherboard Asus M2A-VM AM2
Cooling 1x 120mm Case fans
Memory 4gb DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Twintech 8800GT Bios flashed to 9800GT
Storage Western Digital 500gb
Display(s) CMV CT-722A
Case Piece of sheet metal
Audio Device(s) Realtek Low definition piece of crap
Power Supply X-Power 400w by Enermax, best PSU i've ever had
Software Windows Vista, Fedora Core, Unbuntu, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Gentoo
@Darkcon I'm wondering if you can help me. My power supply just went bad somehow my 6600 XT shorted out and I suspect it's killed the first PCI-E on my MSI Z77A-GD65 Gamer board. I was just searching the internet and found this post! Anyway it seems a row of chips on the top side of the pcie slot get piping hot in a millisecond and the board shuts off. I suppose the 12 volts is probably dead shorted. Anyway you can help me troubleshoot it? It's out of warranty so MSI doesn't want to hear anything and I don't know of a third-party repair service. I know it's old but this board is important to me. Below you'll find two pictures, these are the chips that get piping hot in an instant, they blistered my finger!
Those are asm1480 multiplexers, they like to pop when something goes wrong with power, and EDIT: dies from when the card in that slot draw all of its power from the pcie slot instead of the power connectors plugged in the back of the gpu,

Assuming nothing else blew up, you need new ones and a decent hot air rework station to repair, unfortunately due to life, I no longer have a decent rework station, just a cheap china special, it doesn't get hot enough to work motherboards, too many thick copper layers, is the 6600 actually shorted, or did it just try draw all its power from the pcie slot when the psu died? Amd cards usually have 3 fuses, 2 near the connectors one near the pcieslot

Last edited:
System Name Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H110i Icue Push/Pull
Memory G Skill TridentZ F4-3600C16-16GTZNC 64GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Storage 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 M.2 PCIe NVME
Display(s) AOC CU34G2X 34" Curved UltraWide QHD 3440x1440, VA Panel, 1ms 144MHz
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T Mesh
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 220-G3-1000-X1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Those are asm1480 multiplexers, they like to pop when something goes wrong with power, and makes the card in that slot draw all of its power from the pcie slot instead of the power connectors plugged in the back of the gpu,

Assuming nothing else blew up, you need new ones and a decent hot air rework station to repair, unfortunately due to life, I no longer have a decent rework station, just a cheap china special, it doesn't get hot enough to work motherboards, too many thick copper layers, is the 6600 actually shorted, or did it just try draw all its power from the pcie slot when the psu died? Amd cards usually have 3 fuses, 2 near the connectors one near the pcieslot
I honestly don't know what the power supply did to the 6600 I just would not turn on even in my other motherboard, it was dead, fans wouldn't spin and bios wouldn't post. Anyway I just returned it today to Best Buy as I only had a couple of more days before the return window closed...

Can you recommend a repair service?

Memory 4gb DDR2 800
Display(s) CMV CT-722A
I honestly don't know what the power supply did to the 6600 I just would not turn on even in my other motherboard, it was dead, fans wouldn't spin and bios wouldn't post. Anyway I just returned it today to Best Buy as I only had a couple of more days before the return window closed...

Can you recommend a repair service?
Thanks to the virus, all the ones capable of this repair are backlogged for months, and charging multiple hundreds for the attempt in most countries, that being said if your just looking for another Z77 board, they've slid off the backside of the expensive secondhand parts train(basically they are too old now for it to be worth it to second hand gamer PC builders), so a good secondhand board can be had for less than $80 Usd atm, and for the same price of a repair, you can get a Z97 board, with a 4590-4690 CPU in it, which your old DDR3 will work in, giving you a decent upgrade above whatever current CPU you were using in the Z77 board, and you could resell your old CPU to make up the difference.

If you are dead set on repairing that board(I know the feelin, I love repairing old crap) www.geeksonsite.co.nz has a good repair service at decent prices if you are inside NZ, if you are in other countries I'm not sure who's decent.

System Name Gaming Rig
Software Windows 11 Pro
Thanks to the virus, all the ones capable of this repair are backlogged for months, and charging multiple hundreds for the attempt in most countries, that being said if your just looking for another Z77 board, they've slid off the backside of the expensive secondhand parts train(basically they are too old now for it to be worth it to second hand gamer PC builders), so a good secondhand board can be had for less than $80 Usd atm, and for the same price of a repair, you can get a Z97 board, with a 4590-4690 CPU in it, which your old DDR3 will work in, giving you a decent upgrade above whatever current CPU you were using in the Z77 board, and you could resell your old CPU to make up the difference.

If you are dead set on repairing that board(I know the feelin, I love repairing old crap) www.geeksonsite.co.nz has a good repair service at decent prices if you are inside NZ, if you are in other countries I'm not sure who's decent.
Yeah I'm in the States, oh well, guess I'll start looking on Ebay...

Come to think of it, maybe I'll remove the visually burnt chip and see if it'll at least boot. I may lose some lanes but I'm okay with that since I don't do anything graphically intense. You think it could work?

Memory 4gb DDR2 800
Display(s) CMV CT-722A
Yeah I'm in the States, oh well, guess I'll start looking on Ebay...

Come to think of it, maybe I'll remove the visually burnt chip and see if it'll at least boot. I may lose some lanes but I'm okay with that since I don't do anything graphically intense. You think it could work?
Depends how many are burnt out, and if the reason they burnt was a mosfet went full bad to do that to them, worth a shot, but I wouldn't test it with a good card.

Do you have a way to remove them?

System Name Gaming Rig
Software Windows 11 Pro
Depends how many are burnt out, and if the reason they burnt was a mosfet went full bad to do that to them, worth a shot, but I wouldn't test it with a good card.

Do you have a way to remove them?
I don't currently buy might invest in a cheap solder air guy

8586 700W 2 in 1 SMD Rework Soldering Station LED Digital Display Hot Air Gun Solder Iron 110V US Plug ESD Welding Repair Tools https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y7BNQ2F/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_7DHPN1GQ190FVN5BJNYP

Memory 4gb DDR2 800
Display(s) CMV CT-722A
I don't currently buy might invest in a cheap solder air guy

8586 700W 2 in 1 SMD Rework Soldering Station LED Digital Display Hot Air Gun Solder Iron 110V US Plug ESD Welding Repair Tools https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y7BNQ2F/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_7DHPN1GQ190FVN5BJNYP
make sure you get some good flux with it, you'd be surprised how often a part can be heated all damn day and not move a bit without some good flux on it.
Amtech 559 if you can find it is a great choice for hot air work, tho make sure not to breath in the flux smoke, tis nasty