• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Shorted 16x PCIE slot dodgy repair(story time!)

System Name The El Cheapo!
Processor AMD 5200+ Dual Core 2.7ghz AM2
Motherboard Asus M2A-VM AM2
Cooling 1x 120mm Case fans
Memory 4gb DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Twintech 8800GT Bios flashed to 9800GT
Storage Western Digital 500gb
Display(s) CMV CT-722A
Case Piece of sheet metal
Audio Device(s) Realtek Low definition piece of crap
Power Supply X-Power 400w by Enermax, best PSU i've ever had
Software Windows Vista, Fedora Core, Unbuntu, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Gentoo
Hiya all
this forum has given me so much help simply by existing, thought I'd throw something up someone might find useful.

edit: because its come to my attention fire is hot
DISCLAIMER: DO NOT TRY ANYTHING YOU SEE ME DO, JUST BECAUSE I HAVEN'T CAUGHT FIRE YET, DOESN'T MEAN YOU WON'T

story time! (check bottom for TLDNR)

So I'm broke as hell, and my computer was last built new when you could comfortably build a high end gaming machine for $1500NZD or under these days high end graphics cards cost that alone here in NZ.
as a stop gap as I am saving to pay off all my debt so I can buy a house, I'm upgrading/keeping alive my grandpa of a machine using faulty parts found cheap off my local equiv of ebay(trademe here).
mainly graphics cards and repairing them, they tend not to last long, they are often well abused before I get em.

My current setup is:
4690k delidded, liquid metaled, resealed, lapped.
Gigabyte Z97-HD3 motherboard
24gb o mixed DDR3
RX 470 4gb G1 Gaming(gigabyte)
only new part in the system, an FSP group 750w PSU

so, long story short, I brought the faulty RX 470 G1 gfx card(for $30) that had been used for mining in a humid shed, was covered in rust.
loaded it up, found it had the wrong and a corrupt bios at the same time, found the right one, flashed it, away it went tho to keep it stable I had to underclock it by 10mhz on both mem and core clock.

This one got me thru lockdown playing warzone, woot!
Then I started to get a ghost monitor issue one idle tuesday, this in itself isn't an issue, as I can set it to disabled, and ignore it, the issue was, it was coming and going serveral times every 10 seconds or so.
freezing the computer as it detected, loaded drivers for it, detected it was gone, unloaded, over and over and over, making the computer unusable.
so, after some hours mucking around and trouble shooting, I cranked up my phone and brought another faulty RX470, this time a sapphire nitro+ mining variant listed as faulty.

While I waited for that to arrive via post I decided to remove the display ports I don't use on this card as they were covered in corrosion and so was the PCB of the RX 470 G1 gaming, so I cleaned the PCB, ripped out the displayports(it has dvi and HDMI and if I ever get a monitor good enough to use displayport, I will upgrade to a better gfx card) cleaned the pcb and reinstalled.

Tested it, still the ghost monitor problem, after doing some reasearch apparently this was a reasonably common problem with this card.

at this point I was pissed off at it, so I set afterburner to stupidly high overclocks(that still remained stable) maxed the power slider, set furmark running in fullscreen and left for an hour to go have dinner with the firm thought in my mind of "screw you card if you're not going to work, burn".

Came back after dinner, found the ghost monitor was now a permanent feature, thats not a problem, set it to disable, and set windows to only display on display 2(the actual monitor) and did some testing, the card was now stable while overclocked! and not longer having the ghost monitor come and go, it was permanently there so thats a win.

High off this unexpected win my RX 470 mining edition had arrived, usually when I get a card, I pull it apart to clean all the fans/fins, check for missing components/messed with components and check for shorts to ground before I put it in my PC, this cards screws looked like they had never been touched(and they hadn't) and in my eagerness to have a backup RX 470 incase my main one played up again, I put it in my computer and tested it.

slight spark sound(so slight I wasn't sure), pc turned on, no display, got into windows(using intergrated gfx), no card showing in windows, or to the amdflash tool.

after some tinkering trying to get it to show and some repeated bootups and shutdowns I shrugged and put my old gfx card back in as I was going to work on the mining one later

as soon as I turned it on, full fan spin on the working card, no display, get into windows, the working one isn't showing up anymore.
Pissed and in a hurry, I had a look at the broken card closer, and spotted this:

Notice the blob of badly done solder all over the most likely blown 10A PCIE fuse
this card is shorted, whoever owned it bypassed the fuse, and it blew my main 16x PCIE slot.

no problem, I have a second 16x on my Z97-hd3 right? WRONG its a 4x with a 16x slot, and its gen2 not gen 3, and it disables all the PCIE1x slots when its active. and it bottlenecks a lonely RX 470.
I put my working RX 470 G1 into the second slot, tested that it did indeed work in that slot, and then also discovered a gfx card in the second slot covers all my SATA ports aswell...

so limited FPS and only 1 hard drive(I had 1 90 degree sata cable that could just barely be squashed under the card)

not ideal.

Alot of swearing and hunting for a new motherboard later, I discovered three things:

Z97 boards aren't sold new anymore
Z97 motherboards are hard to find
Z97 motherboards must have somehow turned into diamonds and gold while I wasn't paying attention because the price of them is 3x what they cost new.

after spending the night learning how to play OSRS on my old laptop of slowness, I got fed up and thought screw it, my Z97 is buggered now, it can't get much worse.

so, I Know the 16x PCIE slot is toast, and the 4x works, so the PCIE lanes aren't dead, so...time for some testing

after doing some probein around with my multimeter, I found the 16x pcie wasn't shorted to ground.
I looked up a PCIE pinout, found the 12v VCC+ pins, and checked them, low and behold, all the other PCIE ports on the board had continuity on the 12v VCC+ pins between each other(both the 12v VCC+ pins on the PCIE slot, and between pins on each slot aswell), but not my main 16x slot.
solution:

so after checking my 16x 12v VCC+ pins weren't shorted to ground(fairly important)
I figured since the fake arse 16x slot that is actually a 4x slot that also covers the sata ports pissed me off so much in my time of need, I'd pilfer its power rail.

DODGY FIX WITH SOME RANDOM WIRE I FOUND IN THE BOOT OF MY CAR

Could it have been done better? yes
is there a fuse for the VCC on the mobo for the 16x slot? probably
could I find said fuse? no

TLDNR some idiot bypassed a fuse on a gfx card, some other idiot put a card into his pc without checking first(me), blew the PCIE slots 12v VCC+, repaired it by pilfering from another slot.
and it works, very well indeed.

edit: sorry for the spelling/grammar mistakes, I'm a lazy typist.

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Probably stole it from the brake lights, who needs them right? :laugh:

Memory 4gb DDR2 800
Display(s) CMV CT-722A
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M-S2H
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
Memory 2 x 16GB SK Hynix OEM DDR4-3200 @ 3666 18-20-18-36
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB
Storage 250GB WD BLACK SN750 M.2 + 4TB WD Red Plus + 4TB WD Purple
Display(s) AOpen 27HC5R 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case COUGAR MX440 Mesh RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Cougar Attack2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H1 x64
Thats a nice save and fike troubleshooting, at least you dont make it worse.

By the way 4690k also work with Z87 chipset, if you still looking for motherboard. The extras that Z97 have over Z87 is Broadwell support and native M.2/mSATA AFAIK

Memory 4gb DDR2 800
Display(s) CMV CT-722A
Probably stole it from the brake lights, who needs them right? :laugh:
Hey! I've got 2 others, one even has a bulb in it
Thats a nice save and fike troubleshooting, at least you dont make it worse.

By the way 4690k also work with Z87 chipset, if you still looking for motherboard. The extras that Z97 have over Z87 is Broadwell support and native M.2/mSATA AFAIK
Oh sweet, didn't know that, thought the z97 was the only overclockin board for my cpu
That being said, I did get desperate enough to search every chipset in the wiki on trademe, only 2 boards total, both were 2x what i paid for mine new, then a bunch of "gaming" PC's with boards in them and really crap components

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
This is why you go with AMD :p .

(someone had to say it, right?)

Memory 4gb DDR2 800
Display(s) CMV CT-722A
This is why you go with AMD :p .

(someone had to say it, right?)
This PC was built to replace my AMD system, I had a 955 black edition setup, I waited years for them to bring out something competitive that didn't cause instabilities in games, I waited year after year overclocking my 955 to the max, got sick of power sucking poor performance cpu's coming out, and still being way slower than intel, I finally had to cave and go intel....then they brought out ryzen a couple years after that...fml

When buying second hand stuff I never, never plug it into my main computer. Always plug it into an old motherboard to check there is no shorts. Never put your main computer at risk with second hand stuff. I have a test motherboard that does all the dirty work. So if it blows up, I don't really care.

You should return the card or make a complaint because that blob of solder is not normal, that is clear cut malicious & deliberate to destroy your motherboard, even thou it is marked as not working. It's there to burn your motherboard intentionally. Whoever put that there knew what they were doing. FULL STOP.

Last edited:
Memory 4gb DDR2 800
Display(s) CMV CT-722A
When buying second hand stuff I never, never plug it into my main computer. Always plug it into an old motherboard to check there is no shorts. Never put your main computer at risk with second hand stuff.
yea, I usually don't either, unless I've tested with meter, but was being extra stupid that day

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex

Could it have been done better? yes
is there a fuse for the VCC on the mobo for the 16x slot? probably
could I find said fuse? no

TLDNR some idiot bypassed a fuse on a gfx card, some other idiot put a card into his pc without checking first(me), blew the PCIE slots 12v VCC+, repaired it by pilfering from another slot.
and it works, very well indeed.

10/10 maybe it's just me @ 2am but I goddamn love your style and would sign up for storytime with you again

I've got an all-stock 4790K and an ITX H97 board (probably been crying out in unheatsinked pain for the last five years) and recently figured I would finally get around to exploring the voltage it actually needs and maybe delid the sucker, only to realize that it's my only SFF platform and I might soon have to rely on it again and take it 5000mi away for the umpteenth time which led me to the same conclusion at which you arrived:

Z97 boards aren't sold new anymore
Z97 motherboards are hard to find
Z97 motherboards must have somehow turned into diamonds and gold while I wasn't paying attention because the price of them is 3x what they cost new.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Helllooo fire hazard.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
This is so bad, i love it

Memory 4gb DDR2 800
Display(s) CMV CT-722A
Helllooo fire hazard.
its only 6.2 amps running thru what is now an unfused 12v rail, with an unfused cable capable of taking 15 amps with half arsed solder joints that if broke would ground on all sorts of handy nearby metal, what could possibly go wrong?
...actually brb adding 7amp fuse holder/fuse and epoxy gluein it all down.

edit: redneck restorations computer version
you want to see true redneck computers, the PC in this picture(Circa 2005-2012 in various different forms, this being its final form), has rust holes from flood damage, that PSU on top is a SECOND PSU because I was a student at the time and far to broke to pay for a decent power supply(after said flood destroyed the original PSU), so one $10 350w generic PSU for the mobo/hard drives, one $10 350w generic psu for the gfx card/CPU connector, and everything is duct tapped together, true fire hazard at its finest.

this computer should get the name ramen noodles, cause thats what it was to the PC world.

On a serious note:
I did actually glue the wire down when I was finished bench testing, and make sure the solder/wire height was far less than that of the mounting plate and kapton taped it, additionally I used an 80w iron to make sure the joints weren't cold, and I chose to use the 12v source from another PCIE slot instead of say, a molex connector because the worst that can happen is another dead PCIE slot(where as a molex connector can carry enough current to set fire to things easily before the PSU even knows whats going on)

10/10 maybe it's just me @ 2am but I goddamn love your style and would sign up for storytime with you again
That makes me think we should make a big post of everyone sharing the redneck do not try this at home style computer fix/fail stories lol

I've got an all-stock 4790K and an ITX H97 board (probably been crying out in unheatsinked pain for the last five years) and recently figured I would finally get around to exploring the voltage it actually needs and maybe delid the sucker, only to realize that it's my only SFF platform and I might soon have to rely on it again and take it 5000mi away for the umpteenth time which led me to the same conclusion at which you arrived:
I've delidded a 3570k (Hammer and vice method) and this 4690k(Razor method) its fairly scary, tho apparently now days there are tools for it.
my 4690k and Z97 originally came in a gaming machine sold on trademe for $800, it had about $1700 worth of parts in it for the time
downside was the guy who put it together had NFI how to build a PC, but had chosen awesome parts, everything high end(must have had a friend make the parts list), but when I got it home, it was covered it thermal paste(all over the motherboard)
EDIT: when I say covered in thermal paste, I mean it, there is the pea method, the spread method, the diagonal line method, the bigger the glob better the job method, then there is this guy. His method is "if the cpu is floating up off the board from thermal paste, add more with a concrete trowl it hasn't floated away yet".
3 CPU socket pins were broken/bent/missing(also covered in thermal paste), one brass standoff was stuck in the motherboard because a wrong thread screw was put into it, and it looked like he tried to dig it out with a pair of pliers(again, covered in thermal paste)

somehow, after all this, cleaning it all up, delidding, liquid metal TIM(back when it was hard to get, only 1 place sold it), resealing with permatex ultra black RTV, and lapping, the CPU and MOBO still worked.
and has spent the rest of its life heavily stupidly overclocked, its the computer from this post, and is the computer I am typing this reply on, so this motherboard started life hard, and things haven't improved for it one bit.

sadly, the Z77 from the 3570k died in a "I don't want to turn on randomly if I have too much ram or a gfx card plugged in" kind of way(TBH the board has some extreme bend around the CPU now, and its quite possibly due to the 3D gigabyte rocket GT cpu cooler it started life with(full copper, stupidly heavy), and it got demoted to file server.

Last edited:
System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Your stories are simultaneously incredibly amusing and incredibly terrifying. It's a rare skill! :D

Memory 4gb DDR2 800
Display(s) CMV CT-722A
Update: still running well, even recording games with obs

Memory 4gb DDR2 800
Display(s) CMV CT-722A
UPDATE: REPLACE EVERYWHERE I SAID 12V+ WITH 3.3V+, I wasn't paying attention when I made the img, and then wrote everything else while thinking 12v, gets stuck in my head alot, work on alot of car stuff.

if a mod can edit the top post and change all 12v with 3.3v that'd be appreciated

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
UPDATE: REPLACE EVERYWHERE I SAID 12V+ WITH 3.3V+, I wasn't paying attention when I made the img, and then wrote everything else while thinking 12v, gets stuck in my head alot, work on alot of car stuff.

if a mod can edit the top post and change all 12v with 3.3v that'd be appreciated

hell i'm too lazy for that, you get a copy paste

edit: ah damn not my section so you get nothing

System Name 1.FortySe7en VR rig 2. intel teliscope rig 3.MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .E-52699, Xeon play thing
Processor 1.3900x @stock 2. i7 7700k @5. 3. i7 7700hq
Motherboard 1.aorus x570 ultra 2. z270 Maximus IX Hero,4 MR9A PRO ATX X99
Cooling 1.Hard tube loop, cpu and gpu 2. Hard loop cpu and gpu 4 360 AIO
Memory 1.Gskill neo @3600 32gb 2.hyperxfury 32gb @3000 3. 16gb hyperx @2400 4 64GB 2133 in quad channel
Video Card(s) 1.GIGABYTE RTX 3080 WaterForce WB 2. Aorus RTX2080 3. 1060 3gb. 4 Arc 770LE 16 gb
Storage 1 M.2 500gb , 2 3tb HDs 2. 256gb ssd, 3tbHD 3. 256 m.2. 1tb ssd 4. 2gb ssd
Display(s) 1.LG 50" UHD , oculus rift S.2 MSI Optix MAG342C UWHD. SONY bravia 1080p, . 3.17" 120 hz display
Case 1. Thermaltake P5 2. Thermaltake P3
Audio Device(s) 1 Onboard 2 Onboard 3 Onboard
Power Supply 1.seasonic gx 850w 2. seasonic gx 750w. 4 RM850w
Mouse 1 ROG Gladius 2 Corsair m65 pro
Keyboard 1. ROG Strix Flare 2. Corsair F75 RBG 3. steelseries RBG
VR HMD rift and rift S and Quest 2.
Software 1. win11 pro 2. win11 pro 3, win11 home 4 win11 pro
Benchmark Scores 1.7821 cb20 ,cb15 3442 1c 204 cpu-z 1c 539 12c 8847 2. 1106 cb 3.cb 970
needs must, well done !. i do like a good fix it story it feeds my brain "i know where it is i just carnt find it" :)

Memory 4gb DDR2 800
Display(s) CMV CT-722A
needs must, well done !. i do like a good fix it story it feeds my brain "i know where it is i just carnt find it" :)

Well in a month (cause aliexpress) it'll be story time again, got a gtx 1070 a chip and a dream

Will it work?
Will it set fire to my pc?
Will I screw up my first attempt at hot air rework replacing a chip with a $35 rework gun?

Tune into the gfx forum to find out lol

System Name 1.FortySe7en VR rig 2. intel teliscope rig 3.MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .E-52699, Xeon play thing
Memory 1.Gskill neo @3600 32gb 2.hyperxfury 32gb @3000 3. 16gb hyperx @2400 4 64GB 2133 in quad channel
Video Card(s) 1.GIGABYTE RTX 3080 WaterForce WB 2. Aorus RTX2080 3. 1060 3gb. 4 Arc 770LE 16 gb
Storage 1 M.2 500gb , 2 3tb HDs 2. 256gb ssd, 3tbHD 3. 256 m.2. 1tb ssd 4. 2gb ssd
Display(s) 1.LG 50" UHD , oculus rift S.2 MSI Optix MAG342C UWHD. SONY bravia 1080p, . 3.17" 120 hz display
Benchmark Scores 1.7821 cb20 ,cb15 3442 1c 204 cpu-z 1c 539 12c 8847 2. 1106 cb 3.cb 970
is it coming balled ? because thats half the battle if its new it should be, plenty of flux and a really clean pcb is the key. and if a first you dont suckseed then by a parrot :) na try again.

Memory 4gb DDR2 800
Display(s) CMV CT-722A
is it coming balled ? because thats half the battle if its new it should be, plenty of flux and a really clean pcb is the key. and if a first you dont suckseed then by a parrot :) na try again.
Its a qfn20 package, so 4 pinheads in size no balls luckily all outside edge pins with a big center pad, im goin to spend an arvo practicing on the gfx card in this story that blew my pcie, by giggling manically while i remove all the chips

i was thinking a gpu chip, small SMDs are a walk in the park im sure you will do fine.

Memory 4gb DDR2 800
Display(s) CMV CT-722A
Its a windforce 1070, so its memory power components are all over the board(caps on back, chokes middle of nowhere end o card, buck converter middle right, power control back middle) its such a mess I can't work out where to probe to check the resistance o the ram chips

Memory 4gb DDR2 800
Display(s) CMV CT-722A
Update: i successfully installed the up1666 buck converter, in the process I knocked off 3 sand sized resistors n a cap, gave up n got a 1660 super

System Name Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H110i Icue Push/Pull
Memory G Skill TridentZ F4-3600C16-16GTZNC 64GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Storage 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 M.2 PCIe NVME
Display(s) AOC CU34G2X 34" Curved UltraWide QHD 3440x1440, VA Panel, 1ms 144MHz
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T Mesh
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 220-G3-1000-X1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Update: i successfully installed the up1666 buck converter, in the process I knocked off 3 sand sized resistors n a cap, gave up n got a 1660 super
@Darkcon I'm wondering if you can help me. My power supply just went bad somehow my 6600 XT shorted out and I suspect it's killed the first PCI-E on my MSI Z77A-GD65 Gamer board. I was just searching the internet and found this post! Anyway it seems a row of chips on the top side of the pcie slot get piping hot in a millisecond and the board shuts off. I suppose the 12 volts is probably dead shorted. Anyway you can help me troubleshoot it? It's out of warranty so MSI doesn't want to hear anything and I don't know of a third-party repair service. I know it's old but this board is important to me. Below you'll find two pictures, these are the chips that get piping hot in an instant, they blistered my finger!

Attachments

• 20220106_164129.jpg
    20220106_164129.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 122
  • 20220106_164133.jpg
    20220106_164133.jpg
    871.1 KB · Views: 112