• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should I be worried about this?

osterpaulie

Hello there! I'm a lawyer who knows nothing about tech. I recently bought a 5600x ryzen to play Valorant. When I'm playing this happens:
1623604457468.png

Should I be worried about PPT or temperature?
What's that ppt?
Is there anything i can do to fix it?
Pls help me! xD
thank uuu

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 2600x
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling AMD Wraith Spire I think
Memory 2 x 8GB G-skill Aegis 3000 or somesuch
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB
Display(s) BenQ GL2450HT
Case Antec dumpster find
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC500
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Dell Sk3205
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Desktop stable
Do you experience problems? Because those numbers are all good. PPT means Power Package Tracking and is basically the power limit.

osterpaulie

Do you experience problems? Because those numbers are all good. PPT means Power Package Tracking and is basically the power limit.
Not really, the computer works truly good. But I'm worried bc it's in yellow. Is there a problem if it reaches 90% for example? It only happens when I'm playing Valorant

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 3
Processor Intel Core i7-11700 @ no power limit
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B560M-Plus (WiFi)
Cooling Corsair H100i Platinum
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Black
Storage 1 TB Corsair MP400, 512 GB ADATA SU900
Display(s) Samsung C24F396, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Corsair Crystal 280X black
Audio Device(s) Genius SP-HF160, AKG Y50
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 550W
Mouse Cherry MW 8
Keyboard MagicForce 68
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23: single: 1,500, multi: 14,000. Superposition 1080p extreme: 5200.
Not really, the computer works truly good. But I'm worried bc it's in yellow. Is there a problem if it reaches 90% for example? It only happens when I'm playing Valorant
There's no problem at all. It means that your CPU is allowed to consume 76 Watts maximum, and it's currently using 82% of that limit. It will reduce clock speed and voltage if it reaches 100%, but 1. it probably won't happen in that game, 2. even if it does, you probably won't notice any difference.

osterpaulie

There's no problem at all. It means that your CPU is allowed to consume 76 Watts maximum, and it's currently using 82% of that limit. It will reduce clock speed and voltage if it reaches 100%, but 1. it probably won't happen in that game, 2. even if it does, you probably won't notice any difference.
So it would still be fine if it reaches 100% cause it does reach 90% during the game

D

Deleted member 205776

As someone who's constantly worried about temperatures and CPU monitoring when there's 0 need to, just close Ryzen Master and enjoy your PC. Everything's fine.

Don't become like me. I built this thing months ago and I have yet to stop worrying and start enjoying it.

osterpaulie

As someone who's constantly worried about temperatures and CPU monitoring when there's 0 need to, just close Ryzen Master and enjoy your PC. Everything's fine.

Don't become like me. I built this thing months ago and I have yet to stop worrying and start enjoying it.
So even if it reaches 100% it would still be ok? is 70 degrees ok while gaming aswell?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R7 5800X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X570
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory G.SKILL Trident-Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 @ 15-15-15-30
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 FTW3
Storage 2x Mushkin Pilot-E 2TB NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) VGA HDMI->Panasonic SC-HTB20/Schiit Modi MB/Asgard 2 DAC/Amp to AKG Pro K7712 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 750W
Mouse Razer Deathadder v2
Keyboard WASD CODE 104-Key w/ Cherry MX Green Keyswitches, Doubleshot Vortex PBT White Transluscent Keycaps
Software Windows 10 Enterprise (Product of work, yes it's legit)
Benchmark Scores www.3dmark.com/fs/25631365 www.3dmark.com/spy/20539287 www.3dmark.com/pr/1054199
So even if it reaches 100% it would still be ok? is 70 degrees ok while gaming aswell?
Yes. Think of it as an RPM limiter. It doesn't hurt to hit it, but it does stop the power/heat from rising above that point. It's just to keep the CPU within advertised specifications, and is normal behavior.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RTX 2060 OC
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Lookin good! Part of the beauty of these chips is that while they do allow a lot of configuring, you don't really need to in order for them to run well. On good boards, they generally just do. Ryzen chips have a pretty significant power and thermal regulation system. You can trust it. It's bypassing that which causes problems for inexperienced users. By default, it's holding a temperature it likes for the amount of power it is willing to use on whatever computational load it is seeing. Its behavior is dependent on a handful of very closely-monitored parameters within the chip. It will regulate the amount of power it takes and work it will do based on these things. You won't need to worry about that. It'll do its thing.

It'll hit the power limit when you game if load and utilization are sufficiently high, but temperature is still low enough to juice it. As you put more work and thus current load on more cores, that amounts to heat. The chip has to start winding down on that at some point, to protect the silicon. So no, maxing that limit isn't a problem. It's doing what it is supposed to do at that point, not letting the chip work hard enough to cook itself. Worth noting, if the temperature continues to rise, it will clock down more and you'll fall further below the power limit until it returns to a level that allows it to clock up again. But it will never hit temperatures that can hurt it. It goes down until it is safe. This is where cooling comes in. You can run it on the chintziest cooler imaginable and it will still run and be safe without adjustment. It just won't run as fast. Slap a high-end cooler on it and see the maximum performance of the chip.

osterpaulie

Lookin good! Part of the beauty of these chips is that while they do allow a lot of configuring, you don't really need to in order for them to run well. On good boards, they generally just do. Ryzen chips have a pretty significant power and thermal regulation system. You can trust it. It's bypassing that which causes problems for inexperienced users. By default, it's holding a temperature it likes for the amount of power it is willing to use on whatever computational load it is seeing. Its behavior is dependent on a handful of very closely-monitored parameters within the chip. It will regulate the amount of power it takes and work it will do based on these things. You won't need to worry about that. It'll do its thing.

It'll hit the power limit when you game if load and utilization are sufficiently high, but temperature is still low enough to juice it. As you put more work and thus current load on more cores, that amounts to heat. The chip has to start winding down on that at some point, to protect the silicon. So no, maxing that limit isn't a problem. It's doing what it is supposed to do at that point, not letting the chip work hard enough to cook itself. Worth noting, if the temperature continues to rise, it will clock down more and you'll fall further below the power limit until it returns to a level that allows it to clock up again. But it will never hit temperatures that can hurt it. It goes down until it is safe. This is where cooling comes in. You can run it on the chintziest cooler imaginable and it will still run and be safe without adjustment. It just won't run as fast. Slap a high-end cooler on it and see the maximum performance of the chi
What about 75 degrees while playing? Is that safe too?

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Software Windows 10 Pro
What about 75 degrees while playing? Is that safe too?
Generally speaking, yes. If we were talking about a manual overclock, I could be concerned, as the temperature in combination with fixed voltages set may be providing more current than the chip can handle at that temperature. Even then, it's a special scenario where that's happening, nothing like yours. But left to regulate itself, it will often choose to sit at quite high temperatures in order to get the performance out. But what you don't see is how it is regulating the voltage and current output to keep that all safe. It's not an issue. You will see these things get hot under load, sometimes even with good cooling. They will use every bit of headroom they can get. If there's room to run hotter and it can do more hotter, it will run hotter. They can handle that heat, it's where some of the performance over past gens comes from.

If you want to see better temperatures, you will need to look at your cooling situation. It is possible to get them cooler than that, and they will perform better, but that can cost money and the gains might not be worth it. What is your case airflow like? Are you using the cooler that came with it? How is the temperature at idle? If you provide specs, we may be able to help you bring that temperature down, if it really concerns you.

To quote Robert Hallock, technical marketing director for AMD, "Yes. I want to be clear with everyone that AMD views temps up to 90C (5800X/5900X/5950X) and 95C (5600X) as typical and by design for full load conditions. Having a higher maximum temperature supported by the silicon and firmware allows the CPU to pursue higher and longer boost performance before the algorithm pulls back for thermal reasons."

A little further reading: https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-views-ryzen-5000-cpu-temperatures-up-to-95c-as-typical-and-by-design/

....or back to the source, which is admittedly a reddit post. Worth mentioning, the fact that it stands does give this some credibility. AMD comes out and says otherwise when people make stuff up on reddit. This is from the main AMD reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/jsy8bw

Last edited:
System Name I built this in 2017/2018.
Processor Intel i7-8700K
Motherboard Asus Z370e Motheboard
Cooling Noctua D15
Memory 32 GB Corsair 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1070 Ti Ultra Silent
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus Series 500GB PCIe NVMe
Display(s) Acer KG271C 27" 144Mhz -- Zowie RL2755T 27"
Case NZXT 410 Gun Metal Phantom
Audio Device(s) HD Logitech Webcam
Power Supply Corsair Module Gold 850 Watts
Mouse Optical Logitech
Keyboard Wired HP
Software Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/41713081
You are just fine. Three different PC builders say so.

Yes GIF

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
That the newest Ryzens run hotter than the old ones is common knowledge at this point. They could ask anywhere else and get about the same answers.

osterpaulie

So, whenever I'm playing CSGO my ryzen 5600x goes up to 70 C with the stock cooler. Is it safe? or should i do something to fix it?

System Name egon10
Processor Intel _i7_ 11700K oc {53.53.53.52.51.51.50.50}
Motherboard ASUS ~ r.o.g Strix Z590-E
Cooling ASUS ~ r.o.g Ryujin 240 + 2 * _Noctua_ F-A14 PPC 3000 PWM
Memory GSkill _TridentZ_ RGB @ 4266 oc __ 15-15-15-30 __ [300 ~1N]
Video Card(s) ASUS ~ r.o.g Strix RTX 2080 oc ~~ BIOS mod. [30% incr. power intake]
Storage Samsung ~~ 980 PRO / 970 PRO / 970 evo plus / 860 evo _ADATA SU 800 _ 2x Toshiba HDD
Display(s) ASUS ~ r.o.g PG348Q _34" wide
Case beQuiet ~ pure Base 600
Audio Device(s) ASUS ~ r.o.g Throne Qi _ 7.1
Power Supply beQuiet ~ DARK Power PRO 12 __ 1200W
Mouse Razer ~ NAGA Chroma (19 buttons)
Keyboard Razer ~ Huntsman Elite .v1
VR HMD Razer ~ Kraken Ultimate HEADSET __7.1 THX _____ DX RACER - Gaming Leather Chair_____ VR?? is odd!
Software Windows 11 Pro ~ x64
So, whenever I'm playing CSGO my ryzen 5600x goes up to 70 C with the stock cooler. Is it safe? or should i do something to fix it?
as long as it doesn't smell burned everything is fine.

:D

(i have those friends, their graphiccards started smelling and steaming)

just enjoy the game. anyway if it's getting too hot your bios will throttle the performance down, and this my friend is then def. recognizeable!
stuttering begins
then u can intervene. not just now.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
Dude, I would say that's decent on the stock cooler! Hold on... literally straight from AMD.
vgRsY4p.png

What this means is, it can go as high as 95C and that is normal and expected. A basic, entry-level cooler, like on the level of the stock one can run no lower than 80C wide-open (good case cooling,) but still as high as 95C under full load. That implies sustained load. Unlikely in normal use, but that is the actual headroom. It's not just there as a 'death zone' like on older chips. It can stay there for a while with the algorithms regulating it. And that is a much heavier scenario than yours. That is the maximum stress on the chip before it won't allow more. You aren't even touching it.

And according to this you could STILL expect as high as 80C under full load with the best cooler. It is straight up just how they are made. This is what they do, out of the box. If this was a problem, they wouldn't be sold this way.

Games tend not to put full loads on multicore CPUs. CSGO is nothing crazy. They use them, of course, but it's not the same as a benchmark straight maxing all cores. In that case, the chip gives all it has up into the 90s. I don't know what utilization numbers look like from your image, but if we look at where you are in the power window, I'd say your temps line up with the load on the chip, given stock cooling. If anything, you could call it optimal.

Again, you can either upgrade your cooler if it makes you feel better or let it run as is. That's really your call to make, but at some point you need to decide for yourself what you want to do about it. If you don't like your temperatures, you either throttle it down, play with fan curves, or ultimately... get better cooling. I just think that would be a shame if the performance and noise are good for you... because the temperature is fine.

Last edited:
System Name Glasshouse
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black
Memory G Skill Neo 16GBx4
Video Card(s) XFX 6900XT Merc Black
Storage Force MP600 (1TB) & Sabrent Rocket 4 (2TB) & 2TB Crucial Sata
Display(s) LG CX 48 inch
Case Corsair Crystal 570X White
Audio Device(s) Creative Speakers
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Software Windows
70 C is good for gaming. If you want to check if there is a problem with the chip or setup then download HWinfo64. Get CPUZ. Stress test the CPU with CPUZ and monitor temps, clock frequencies and voltages with HWinfo64. If any are outside the parameters of the chip then you have a problem (which is most likely fixable in any event).

System Name DELL Inspiron 5400 AIO
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA MX 330
Storage 1TB +SSD
Display(s) 23.8 inch touch screen
Case DELL AIO
Mouse Dell Wireless
Keyboard Dell Wireless
Software WINDOWS 10 HOME 64 BIT VERSION 21H1 OS build 19043.1052
As Bob Marley says in the song 3 birds on a tree. Don't worry about a thing. every little thing is going to be all right.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 3
Processor Intel Core i7-11700 @ no power limit
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B560M-Plus (WiFi)
Cooling Corsair H100i Platinum
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Black
Storage 1 TB Corsair MP400, 512 GB ADATA SU900
Display(s) Samsung C24F396, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Corsair Crystal 280X black
Audio Device(s) Genius SP-HF160, AKG Y50
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 550W
Mouse Cherry MW 8
Keyboard MagicForce 68
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23: single: 1,500, multi: 14,000. Superposition 1080p extreme: 5200.
So it would still be fine if it reaches 100% cause it does reach 90% during the game
Yes. Think of it as a power consumption limiter. If the CPU is at 100% PPT, it will start lowering clocks and voltages ever so slightly that you won't even notice.

70 °C is lovely from a modern Ryzen.

Mussels

Moderprator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles
Processor Ryzen R7 5800X (EK Quantum Velocity block) (PBO tweaked, 4.4-5.05GHz)
Motherboard Asus x570 Gaming-F
Cooling Custom EK loop, 360mm top exhaust rad 280mm front intake rad
Memory 64GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3800 C16
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB - EK Quantum ARGB block w/ active backplate 1750MHz 737mv | 10950MHz VRAM
Storage 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 500GB 850 Evo
Display(s) Gigabyte G32QC + Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2x 32" 1440p 165Hz/144Hz curved )
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Razer Leviathan + Corsair Void pro RGB, Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Corsair HX 750i (Platinum, fan off til 300W)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10 pro x64 (all systems)
Benchmark Scores Lots of RGB, so you know it's fast.
It's safe. You might get a small speed boost (less than 5%) with a better cooler as it can boost a little higher, but you're fine.

Those numbers are just for information purposes, you'd only worry if the temperature was in the red - the rest in the red just mean its working hard. Yellow? Pfft, it's barely trying.

System Name I built this in 2017/2018.
Processor Intel i7-8700K
Motherboard Asus Z370e Motheboard
Cooling Noctua D15
Memory 32 GB Corsair 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1070 Ti Ultra Silent
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus Series 500GB PCIe NVMe
Display(s) Acer KG271C 27" 144Mhz -- Zowie RL2755T 27"
Case NZXT 410 Gun Metal Phantom
Audio Device(s) HD Logitech Webcam
Power Supply Corsair Module Gold 850 Watts
Mouse Optical Logitech
Keyboard Wired HP
Software Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/41713081
@ostherpaulie

You have now earned on your online tech-certification on graphic card thermal comprehension and modifications. :toast:

System Name The Nomad
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asrock B550M-ITC/AC
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 120
Memory 2x8GB Patriot 3000MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 Evoke OC
Storage 1TB A-Data SX8200Pro, 2TB WD Blue HDD
Display(s) Samsung 40j5100 LED TV
Case Coolermaster Q300L
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Play 3
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Gold Plus 850w
Mouse Redragon M711
Keyboard Redragon K582
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1650 Low Profile cooler - Palit GTX 1660 SUPER STORM
Storage 2 x Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB and one 2 TB - CRUCIAL MX300 2 TB SSD - WD RED 4 TB and WD GOLD 14 TB HDD
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) ONBOARD on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
Don't worry about it. There is nothing wrong with it hitting 100 % in any of the power limits. The cpu will adjust clock after the power limits on its own. Those power limits are set by amd and its designed to run with those limits to be safe.

Temp is just Fine. My own 5600X hits 70c at full load as well with a low profile noctua cooler and I am not worried. Max temp for it is 95C and after that it will what is called thermal throttle it self. I will say, you shut worry if it begins to go to 85C and do something about if gets close to 90C. If that happens, that's when I will be worried. Every thing up to 80C I feel safe. So 70C or 75C is not to be concerned about.