• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should I be worried about this?

osterpaulie

Hello there! I'm a lawyer who knows nothing about tech. I recently bought a 5600x ryzen to play Valorant. When I'm playing this happens:
1623604457468.png

Should I be worried about PPT or temperature?
What's that ppt?
Is there anything i can do to fix it?
Pls help me! xD
thank uuu

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Do you experience problems? Because those numbers are all good. PPT means Power Package Tracking and is basically the power limit.

osterpaulie

Do you experience problems? Because those numbers are all good. PPT means Power Package Tracking and is basically the power limit.
Not really, the computer works truly good. But I'm worried bc it's in yellow. Is there a problem if it reaches 90% for example? It only happens when I'm playing Valorant

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
Not really, the computer works truly good. But I'm worried bc it's in yellow. Is there a problem if it reaches 90% for example? It only happens when I'm playing Valorant
There's no problem at all. It means that your CPU is allowed to consume 76 Watts maximum, and it's currently using 82% of that limit. It will reduce clock speed and voltage if it reaches 100%, but 1. it probably won't happen in that game, 2. even if it does, you probably won't notice any difference.

osterpaulie

There's no problem at all. It means that your CPU is allowed to consume 76 Watts maximum, and it's currently using 82% of that limit. It will reduce clock speed and voltage if it reaches 100%, but 1. it probably won't happen in that game, 2. even if it does, you probably won't notice any difference.
So it would still be fine if it reaches 100% cause it does reach 90% during the game

D

Deleted member 205776

As someone who's constantly worried about temperatures and CPU monitoring when there's 0 need to, just close Ryzen Master and enjoy your PC. Everything's fine.

Don't become like me. I built this thing months ago and I have yet to stop worrying and start enjoying it.

osterpaulie

As someone who's constantly worried about temperatures and CPU monitoring when there's 0 need to, just close Ryzen Master and enjoy your PC. Everything's fine.

Don't become like me. I built this thing months ago and I have yet to stop worrying and start enjoying it.
So even if it reaches 100% it would still be ok? is 70 degrees ok while gaming aswell?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
So even if it reaches 100% it would still be ok? is 70 degrees ok while gaming aswell?
Yes. Think of it as an RPM limiter. It doesn't hurt to hit it, but it does stop the power/heat from rising above that point. It's just to keep the CPU within advertised specifications, and is normal behavior.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Lookin good! Part of the beauty of these chips is that while they do allow a lot of configuring, you don't really need to in order for them to run well. On good boards, they generally just do. Ryzen chips have a pretty significant power and thermal regulation system. You can trust it. It's bypassing that which causes problems for inexperienced users. By default, it's holding a temperature it likes for the amount of power it is willing to use on whatever computational load it is seeing. Its behavior is dependent on a handful of very closely-monitored parameters within the chip. It will regulate the amount of power it takes and work it will do based on these things. You won't need to worry about that. It'll do its thing.

It'll hit the power limit when you game if load and utilization are sufficiently high, but temperature is still low enough to juice it. As you put more work and thus current load on more cores, that amounts to heat. The chip has to start winding down on that at some point, to protect the silicon. So no, maxing that limit isn't a problem. It's doing what it is supposed to do at that point, not letting the chip work hard enough to cook itself. Worth noting, if the temperature continues to rise, it will clock down more and you'll fall further below the power limit until it returns to a level that allows it to clock up again. But it will never hit temperatures that can hurt it. It goes down until it is safe. This is where cooling comes in. You can run it on the chintziest cooler imaginable and it will still run and be safe without adjustment. It just won't run as fast. Slap a high-end cooler on it and see the maximum performance of the chip.

osterpaulie

Lookin good! Part of the beauty of these chips is that while they do allow a lot of configuring, you don't really need to in order for them to run well. On good boards, they generally just do. Ryzen chips have a pretty significant power and thermal regulation system. You can trust it. It's bypassing that which causes problems for inexperienced users. By default, it's holding a temperature it likes for the amount of power it is willing to use on whatever computational load it is seeing. Its behavior is dependent on a handful of very closely-monitored parameters within the chip. It will regulate the amount of power it takes and work it will do based on these things. You won't need to worry about that. It'll do its thing.

It'll hit the power limit when you game if load and utilization are sufficiently high, but temperature is still low enough to juice it. As you put more work and thus current load on more cores, that amounts to heat. The chip has to start winding down on that at some point, to protect the silicon. So no, maxing that limit isn't a problem. It's doing what it is supposed to do at that point, not letting the chip work hard enough to cook itself. Worth noting, if the temperature continues to rise, it will clock down more and you'll fall further below the power limit until it returns to a level that allows it to clock up again. But it will never hit temperatures that can hurt it. It goes down until it is safe. This is where cooling comes in. You can run it on the chintziest cooler imaginable and it will still run and be safe without adjustment. It just won't run as fast. Slap a high-end cooler on it and see the maximum performance of the chi
What about 75 degrees while playing? Is that safe too?

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Software Windows 10 Pro
What about 75 degrees while playing? Is that safe too?
Generally speaking, yes. If we were talking about a manual overclock, I could be concerned, as the temperature in combination with fixed voltages set may be providing more current than the chip can handle at that temperature. Even then, it's a special scenario where that's happening, nothing like yours. But left to regulate itself, it will often choose to sit at quite high temperatures in order to get the performance out. But what you don't see is how it is regulating the voltage and current output to keep that all safe. It's not an issue. You will see these things get hot under load, sometimes even with good cooling. They will use every bit of headroom they can get. If there's room to run hotter and it can do more hotter, it will run hotter. They can handle that heat, it's where some of the performance over past gens comes from.

If you want to see better temperatures, you will need to look at your cooling situation. It is possible to get them cooler than that, and they will perform better, but that can cost money and the gains might not be worth it. What is your case airflow like? Are you using the cooler that came with it? How is the temperature at idle? If you provide specs, we may be able to help you bring that temperature down, if it really concerns you.

To quote Robert Hallock, technical marketing director for AMD, "Yes. I want to be clear with everyone that AMD views temps up to 90C (5800X/5900X/5950X) and 95C (5600X) as typical and by design for full load conditions. Having a higher maximum temperature supported by the silicon and firmware allows the CPU to pursue higher and longer boost performance before the algorithm pulls back for thermal reasons."

A little further reading: https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-views-ryzen-5000-cpu-temperatures-up-to-95c-as-typical-and-by-design/

....or back to the source, which is admittedly a reddit post. Worth mentioning, the fact that it stands does give this some credibility. AMD comes out and says otherwise when people make stuff up on reddit. This is from the main AMD reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/jsy8bw

Last edited:
System Name Supreme Gaming Desktop
Processor Intel Core i9-13900KF
Motherboard Asus Prime Z690-P WiFi
Cooling PNY AIO Dual Fan/Radiator
Memory 32 GB DDR-5 6000MHz
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX 4800
Storage (2) NVME M.2 1TB
Display(s) HP 27" FHD LCD
Case MID Tower
Audio Device(s) HD Webcam
Power Supply 1000 Watts
Mouse Optical
Keyboard Wired
Software Windows 11 Home 64 Bit
You are just fine. Three different PC builders say so.

Yes GIF

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
That the newest Ryzens run hotter than the old ones is common knowledge at this point. They could ask anywhere else and get about the same answers.

osterpaulie

So, whenever I'm playing CSGO my ryzen 5600x goes up to 70 C with the stock cooler. Is it safe? or should i do something to fix it?

System Name °( ఠ ͟ʖ ఠ)°
Processor Intel | i7 _ 11700K | @ ~ 5GHz all | cooling ~ Thermal Grizzly CARBONAUT
Motherboard Asus | ROG Strix -- Z 590-E
Cooling Asus | ROG Ryujin 240 2* _Noctua F PPC °3000 | 4+1* _beQuiet_ Silent/Light Wings 3 °2200
Memory G Skill | Trident Z *RGB @ 4000_ | _15-15-15-36_ |
Video Card(s) Asus | ROG Strix -- RTX 3070Ti_ #OC Edition
Storage INTENSO 250GB *1, 500GB*1 | Samsung EVO 860 / 970 EVO plus| WDC WD40 |
Display(s) Alienware | AW3821DW _ 38" {3840*1600} wide - curved
Case be Quiet | DARK BASE PRO 900 --- _rev. 2 --- #Silver
Audio Device(s) Asus | ROG Throne - Qi_7.1 | LOGITECH_G560 Speaker (RGB)
Power Supply be Quiet | DARK Power PRO 12 __ 1200W *titanium
Mouse Razer | NAGA Trinity (19 buttons)
Keyboard Razer | Huntsman V2 analog | Razer Goliathus (RGB) black
VR HMD Razer | Kraken Ultimate HEADSET __7.1 THX ____| DX RACER - Gaming Leather Chair_____ VR?? is odd!
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores See signature URL
So, whenever I'm playing CSGO my ryzen 5600x goes up to 70 C with the stock cooler. Is it safe? or should i do something to fix it?
as long as it doesn't smell burned everything is fine.

:D

(i have those friends, their graphiccards started smelling and steaming)

just enjoy the game. anyway if it's getting too hot your bios will throttle the performance down, and this my friend is then def. recognizeable!
stuttering begins
then u can intervene. not just now.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
Dude, I would say that's decent on the stock cooler! Hold on... literally straight from AMD.
vgRsY4p.png

What this means is, it can go as high as 95C and that is normal and expected. A basic, entry-level cooler, like on the level of the stock one can run no lower than 80C wide-open (good case cooling,) but still as high as 95C under full load. That implies sustained load. Unlikely in normal use, but that is the actual headroom. It's not just there as a 'death zone' like on older chips. It can stay there for a while with the algorithms regulating it. And that is a much heavier scenario than yours. That is the maximum stress on the chip before it won't allow more. You aren't even touching it.

And according to this you could STILL expect as high as 80C under full load with the best cooler. It is straight up just how they are made. This is what they do, out of the box. If this was a problem, they wouldn't be sold this way.

Games tend not to put full loads on multicore CPUs. CSGO is nothing crazy. They use them, of course, but it's not the same as a benchmark straight maxing all cores. In that case, the chip gives all it has up into the 90s. I don't know what utilization numbers look like from your image, but if we look at where you are in the power window, I'd say your temps line up with the load on the chip, given stock cooling. If anything, you could call it optimal.

Again, you can either upgrade your cooler if it makes you feel better or let it run as is. That's really your call to make, but at some point you need to decide for yourself what you want to do about it. If you don't like your temperatures, you either throttle it down, play with fan curves, or ultimately... get better cooling. I just think that would be a shame if the performance and noise are good for you... because the temperature is fine.

Last edited:
System Name 1. Glasshouse 2. Odin OneEye
Processor 1. Ryzen 9 5900X (manual PBO) 2. Ryzen 9 7900X
Motherboard 1. MSI x570 Tomahawk wifi 2. Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 670E
Cooling 1. Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black 2. Custom Loop 3x360mm (60mm) rads & T30 fans/Aquacomputer NEXT w/b
Memory 1. G Skill Neo 16GBx4 (3600MHz 16/16/16/36) 2. Kingston Fury 16GBx2 DDR5 CL36
Video Card(s) 1. Asus Strix Vega 64 2. Powercolor Liquid Devil 7900XTX
Storage 1. Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) & Sabrent Rocket 4 (2TB) 2. Kingston 3000 (1TB) and Hynix p41 (2TB)
Display(s) 1. Samsung U28E590 10bit 4K@60Hz 2. LG C2 42 inch 10bit 4K@120Hz
Case 1. Corsair Crystal 570X White 2. Cooler Master HAF 700 EVO
Audio Device(s) 1. Creative Speakers 2. Built in LG monitor speakers
Power Supply 1. Corsair RM850x 2. Superflower Titanium 1600W
Mouse 1. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (grey) 2. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (black)
Keyboard Leopold High End Mechanical
Software Windows 11
70 C is good for gaming. If you want to check if there is a problem with the chip or setup then download HWinfo64. Get CPUZ. Stress test the CPU with CPUZ and monitor temps, clock frequencies and voltages with HWinfo64. If any are outside the parameters of the chip then you have a problem (which is most likely fixable in any event).

System Name DELL Inspiron 5400 AIO / HP 17 ca1065cl
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz / Ryzen 5 3500u
Memory 16GB /12GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA MX 330 / Radeon Vega 8
Storage 1TB +SSD
Display(s) 23.8 inch touch screen 17.3 touch screen
Case DELL AIO / HP LAPTOP
Mouse Dell Wireless /LOGITECH
Keyboard Dell Wireless / HP LAPTOP
Software WINDOWS 11
As Bob Marley says in the song 3 birds on a tree. Don't worry about a thing. every little thing is going to be all right.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
So it would still be fine if it reaches 100% cause it does reach 90% during the game
Yes. Think of it as a power consumption limiter. If the CPU is at 100% PPT, it will start lowering clocks and voltages ever so slightly that you won't even notice.

70 °C is lovely from a modern Ryzen.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
It's safe. You might get a small speed boost (less than 5%) with a better cooler as it can boost a little higher, but you're fine.

Those numbers are just for information purposes, you'd only worry if the temperature was in the red - the rest in the red just mean its working hard. Yellow? Pfft, it's barely trying.

System Name Supreme Gaming Desktop
Processor Intel Core i9-13900KF
Motherboard Asus Prime Z690-P WiFi
Cooling PNY AIO Dual Fan/Radiator
Memory 32 GB DDR-5 6000MHz
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX 4800
Storage (2) NVME M.2 1TB
Display(s) HP 27" FHD LCD
Case MID Tower
Audio Device(s) HD Webcam
Power Supply 1000 Watts
Mouse Optical
Keyboard Wired
Software Windows 11 Home 64 Bit
@ostherpaulie

You have now earned on your online tech-certification on graphic card thermal comprehension and modifications. :toast:

System Name look here
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling be quite
Memory g.skil ripjaws v series
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
Storage Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280
Case phanteks eclipse p400a
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold
OP,
What of the software are you using for checking the system?

System Name The Nomad
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B550M Phantom Gaming ITX
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240
Memory 2x8GB Patriot 4400MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 Evoke OC w/ Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV
Storage 1TB A-Data SX8200Pro, 4TB WD Blue HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte M27Q 27"
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) Epos H6 Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G815
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
Don't worry about it. There is nothing wrong with it hitting 100 % in any of the power limits. The cpu will adjust clock after the power limits on its own. Those power limits are set by amd and its designed to run with those limits to be safe.

Temp is just Fine. My own 5600X hits 70c at full load as well with a low profile noctua cooler and I am not worried. Max temp for it is 95C and after that it will what is called thermal throttle it self. I will say, you shut worry if it begins to go to 85C and do something about if gets close to 90C. If that happens, that's when I will be worried. Every thing up to 80C I feel safe. So 70C or 75C is not to be concerned about.