• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should i buy an SSD?

Nope, no VMWare on that machine. And once formatted a and you account for the ~500MB Windows uses for the extra partitions, you only end up with about 55GB of useable space.

But it doesn't really matter since the OP said he is now getting a 256GB drive.
55GB is still plenty of room, a normal system drive doesn't take up more than around 40GB max..
If you got more than 40GB then either you have VMware or Photoshop or Visual Studio or some other huge suite on the drive, or you got stuff on there which doesn't need to be....like movies.
Even a recovery image is only ~3GB.

Semantics anyhow like you said as ther OP has made his decision......

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
55GB is still plenty of room, a normal system drive doesn't take up more than around 40GB max..If you got more than 40GB then either you have VMware or Photoshop or Visual Studiot or some other huge suite on the drive, or you got stuff on there which doesn't need to be....like movies.
Semantics anyhow like you said as ther OP has made his decision.

They do when you actually use them. Windows likes to just accumulate stuff. I don't even have that many programs install on it. Windows itself likes to grow to near 30GB over time.

They do when you actually use them. Windows likes to just accumulate stuff. I don't even have that many programs install on it. Windows itself likes to grow to near 30GB over time.
That's is not true. I do Windows deployment and I know exactly how much space is needed.
Windows doesn't just magically grow by 30GB either. It grows because you've put files on the drive, if you say no then my guess is your laptop is OEM with bloatware on it.

Semantics anyhow as you said OP hs decided...so no point carying on.

That's is not true. I do Windows deployment and I know exactly how much space is needed.
Windows doesn't just magically grow by 30GB either. It grows because you've put files on the drive, if you say no then my guess is your laptop is OEM with bloatware on it.

I do too, which is how I know whats required.. But he didn't say it grows BY 30GB he said it grows TO 30GB - which DOES happen over time if left unchecked. However that is just due to it accumulating garbage like old restore points, update backup data, temp files, etc.. All of which can be dumped with Disk Cleanup.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit

Semantics anyhow as you said OP hs decided...so no point carying on.

I did Windows deployments at Microsoft on systems in the labs. And newtekie is right. We always left a little more space on the OS partition for that exact reason.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

By OEM I assume you mean using the factory Install. Which isn't the case. I reformat every OEM computer I get. There is no bloatware on it. In fact it hasn't even been installed all that long, I reformatted this machine back in June.

The Widows folder alone on this laptop alone is 26GB. Another 6GB for hyberfil, and 4GB for pagefile(which is only that small because I manually set it, if I left it on auto it would be 16GB, because Windows like use uselessly big page files). Microsoft Office is another 2GB(including MSOcache). Adobe CS Suite is another 7GB. Oh and another 5.6GB for the Windows 10 pre-load files. I've got a few other small programs installed(Filezilla Client, O&O Defrag, Daemon Tools Lite, Classic Shell, Kodi, Notepad++, and Filezilla) but that's it. I've got no documents on this computer(except 3 work related excel spread sheets on the desktop), no pictures, no movies, no media or data files at all actually. Just Windows and a few programs I use.

Can I go through and manually trim some of this down? Sure, but Disk Cleanup won't do it automatically. I could manually delete the MSOcache folder, I know that is safe because I'm a computer tech. I could delete the Windows 10 pre-load files, Disk Cleanup will actually do this, but you have to uninstall the update related to it before it will show up to be deleted in Disk Cleanup. And how many average users know this?

But more to the point, if I had a 64GB SSD, and it was setup up as just the system drive in the OP's computer, there would be no way I could install any games on it. Heck, I'd be close to limit to just install some other programs. So I'd have to install them on the HDD. And a good half of the SSD would go to waste on Windows related files that I'll likely never use. WinSxS goes largely unused, but is one of the largest space hogs, same thing with the Installers folder. In fact both of those folders are almost never used, but are the two biggest folders in the Windows directory. Why waste SSD space on them? That is the beauty of using the SSD has a cache instead of an independent system drive. The caching algorithm recognizes files aren't being used, and other files are used more often, and puts the files used more often on the SSD and leaves the files used less often on the HDD. That is why I suggest an SSD 64GB or smaller should be used as a Cache drive. Yeah, if you have a 128GB SSD, use it as your system drive(I do on my laptop), but 64GB is better used as a Cache.

All of which can be dumped with Disk Cleanup.

Saddly that isn't entirely true. Nothing automatic will get rid of the install files left in the Installer folder. The Disk Cleanup usually clears a couple hundred MB of Windows Update Cleanup, but nothing substantial. The WinSxS and Installers folders in Windows just grow the more you use the system.

System Name Selene / Yoda
Processor Fx 8350 @ 4.4 / Phenom II x6 1090t @ 3.6
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 r4.0 / Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Cooling H100i / Xig Dark Knight
Memory 4x 8gb G.Skill Snipers / 4x 4gb G.Skill Ares
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 290x / XfX DD & VisionTek HD6850's C'fired
Storage 256gb ssd, 2x 2tb Wd Blacks & 1x 1tb Wd black / 1x 1tb
Display(s) Dell Ultra Sharp 2408 WFp / Hp w2207
Case Raidmax Vampire / Chieftec Alum. Dragon Blue
Audio Device(s) Onboard Hd Audio / Onboard Hd Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX 850 watt / Corsair TX 750 watt
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 10 pro / Win Vista Home prem. 64 bit
Benchmark Scores What are benchmarks anyway?
I have my Os installed on a 256gb ssd. I have next to nothing else installed besides windows and a couple small programs and I am using 42gb. I have done a complete disk cleanup a few days ago. I am still at 42gb.

System Name Gaming PC from bestby
Processor I7
Motherboard Ibuypower
Cooling Stock
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3080
Storage 1TB shared with windows 11 and FerenOS
Display(s) MPG ARTYMIS 323CQR
Case nice big case with rainbow fans allover it
Audio Device(s) realtech
Software OS is Windows 7 home premium, sometimes I use linux mint mate or sabayon both live
Benchmark Scores CL-RCD-RP-RAS Write Speed 2x DDR3-1333 SDRAM 9-9-9-23 CR1 10484 MB/s
my lenovo g780 has been on a samsung 840 pro and its been working great.