• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should I go for it or not?

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Nowhere nearly as cheap in Europe.
You think that's expensive, try this in the UK ……..

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Nowhere nearly as cheap in Europe.
You think that's expensive, try this in the UK …….

Yea it's always a downer how much more expensive PC stuff is elsewhere in the world, because it makes much of the build advice from U.S. builders not really helpful.

It also never made sense that the U.S. market seems cheaper than even the Asia market. Like huh? You'd think Asian prices would be lower because most stuff is made there. Or maybe it's just that the fun grey/gray market stuff isn't as visible to english internet. Hrmm....

I mean, at least you're not in Australia - it seems like they really get the shaft price wise.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Yea it's always a downer how much more expensive PC stuff is elsewhere in the world, because it makes much of the build advice from U.S. builders not really helpful.

It also never made sense that the U.S. market seems cheaper than even the Asia market. Like huh? You'd think Asian prices would be lower because most stuff is made there. Or maybe it's just that the fun grey/gray market stuff isn't as visible to english internet. Hrmm....

I mean, at least you're not in Australia - it seems like they really get the shaft price wise.
Part of that is because demand and supply. Part of it is because US prices never includes sales tax. It still doesn't quite help explain it.
Then again, some things are much cheaper in Sweden with 25% VAT/sales tax, compared to Taiwan, where it's only 5% VAT.
That said, motherboards, which are still mainly made in Taiwan, are more in Taiwan than in the US, which makes no sense at all. Graphics and SSDs cards too for that matter, although the latter not by too much. RAM can be close in terms of costs, but CPUs are always about 20-40% more expensive in Taiwan compared to the US. It clearly has nothing to do with shipping costs...

Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
@OP
In my experience, incremental updates never satisfied my upgrade itch, and only made it worse. Always ended up spending more money in the long run. My best upgrades are complete overhauls.

New Zealand prices are even worse when I lived there. Prices in China are pretty expensive unless it's from a Chinese brand, or of some model exclusive to the Chinese market, neither of which I cared enough to experiment. Bought my PC in Taiwan and carried it all the way to China lol.

@ Devon68 - So where are some online stores you'd like to buy from and/or are accessible to you?
It's a roundabout way to ask where you live without totally DOXing yourself lol

But that way we can also figure out what pricing is available in your area.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It also never made sense that the U.S. market seems cheaper than even the Asia market.
It makes total sense. It's all about volume and competition. If I, as a retailer or big factory PC maker promise AMD or Intel to buy 1,000,000 units during the next 12 months, then I can demand get those units cheaper than another guy who can only promise to move 50,000 units.

And if I as a retailer, want the sell, I need to price these units the same or lower than NewEgg or Walmart - who is doing the same with me.

This is why me, as an independent custom PC builder, tell my clients I can't beat Dell or HP in prices. I can't buy 1 million motherboards, 1 million CPUs, 1 million cases, 1 million sticks of RAM, 1 million power supplies. I lucky if my client wants 3 computers. Typically, I build one at a time.

Another problem (perhaps a really big problem) with prices in some parts of the world is the costs for all the bribes and lining of pockets needed to get a pallet of products from point A to point B intact and in any sort of timely manner. :(

Bribes are probably not a problem once that pallet gets to the docks in NZ or Australia, or England. But they may have been a problem all the way up to getting that pallet loaded on to the cargo ship heading to those countries.

System Name Ryzen 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G Skill Flare X5 2x16gb cl32@6000 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro + gaming Oc
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, WD Black SN850X 1Tb nvme
Display(s) LG 27GP850P-B
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tempered glass
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-850W
Mouse A4Tech V7M bloody
Keyboard Genius KB-G255
Software Windows 10 64bit
So where are some online stores you'd like to buy from and/or are accessible to you?
It's a roundabout way to ask where you live without totally DOXing yourself lol

But that way we can also figure out what pricing is available in your area.
I would not get them from a shop since the final price would be about 100-150 euros more.
Recently I've been browsing this site:
I'm from Serbia. Many of the items on this site are cheaper than in stores, but they still come with a warranty. The only difference is that most of them are imports form Hungary, but since all the borders are closed we can expect inflated prices in the up coming month. But by the time I get the money together the prices should get back to normal.

a GTX 1060 6GB for another 120$.
That's a good price. Even with your dated CPU a 1060 upgrade should still offer a solid 40-50% performance boost.

You could get the 1060 now, enjoy the performance boost, and if you want to do a partial upgrade next year (CPU + Motherboard + ram and then re-use all the other parts) the 1060 will still be a solid 1080p card