1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should i make the switch to windows vista?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by MiST91, Jan 23, 2008.

1. MiST91 Guest

Hi, yes i know this question has been asked many, many times before, but i am still unsure. I am currently using Windows XP pro x86, windows xp is good enough, but will i see any improvments in performance if i switch to Vista Ultimate X86 if i configure and tweek it correctly? I know people say vista eats RAM but i have 4GB of RAM so surley with the maximum a 32bit OS will handle RAM won't be a problem. I have used vista before but wasn't happy with performance, but at the time i had a very differant setup (3.0GHz Pentium 4, 1GB DDR 400 RAM, nvidia geforce 6600 256mb) The reason i am seriously thinking of switching is because

1.XP isn't going to be supported forever
    2. its looks amaizing
    3. most software and games are now designed around windows vista

so anyways, what y'all think i should do?

ps. time, effort and money (no i'm not ritch :cry:, i use bittorent :D) is not an issue with upgrading.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Go for vista i say your system will have no probs running it and get 64bit so all of your 4 gig will be utilised. The only prob i had was itunes not working but found drivers now cruising.

3. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I switched from XP X86 to Vista X64 and I never looked back. Vista is more stable and gives the same or better performance than XP did.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. MiST91 Guest

i have looked into 64bit, and to be honest i would rather lose 500MBish of RAM than having to hunt for 64bit versions of software or hoping that 32bit versions of software will work, its the same reason i dont use mac or Linux. Will it still be worth upgrading to X86 Vista?

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Silverel

Silverel

Thanks Received:
    Windows 7 comes out next year around this time...

6. MiST91 Guest

finally theres some people who dont think Vista is worse than getting poked in the eye :cool:

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. MiST91 Guest

whats windows 7?

OMG microsoft are releasing another OS already

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    yep theres a thread bout it on the front page abit down.

9. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Generally it suxx. Some of the features are o.k. and sometimes it will run a program that won`t run on xp ! Speed in games is the big factor tho