• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should i start saving money for the future upgrade or my system is fine for online games?

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I dont call 25 fps good.... i dont call having to lower settings for playable fps good, lol!

There was 3 titles in tpus review of an overclocked 1050ti (gaming x) that were under 30 fps. 3 at 59-66, while most of the rest were in the 30s and 40s. I just dont consider it a good card for 1080p under the guise of being able to play the latest titles at adequate fps 60 fps give or take with AA and to play on it for a while ...we'll have to agree to disagree. :)

Edit: note...im not trying to hate on consoles, but i do notice a difference. :)

System Name Windows 10
Processor intel i5-4440 3.1 ghz
Motherboard asus h81m-c
Cooling Be Quiet Shadow Rock TF2
Memory Corsair 4gb 1600mhz Kingston 4gb1600 mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X 1050ti
Storage WD Blue ezex 2017 edition 7200rpm 1tb 64mb cache - Seagate 500gb 5900 rpm 6mb cache - Corsair Force
Display(s) Asus VG248Q
Case Aerocool LS 5200
Audio Device(s) Corsair void pro usb rgb / audio technica ath-m50x
Power Supply Seasonic m12ii 520w evo full modular
Mouse Logitech G502 RGB
Keyboard X7 G800V Gaming
Software Windows 10
Almost every game should work to 2011 whit dual cores, then 2016 four core and now 8 core processor is needed whit something like gtx1070 for new open world high graphics games.
battlefield 3 is tied to Origin i cannot understand how you can like that.
i cannot understand how people can be ignorant like you

Today, there is no way i would start with a quad core without HT. There are enough titles already (a minority indeed) that scale with more than 4 threads, so this would be a minimum for me... like 8gb. If im building, i want it to last and that would NOT included a quad core no ht...

Anyway, op has a 1050ti...id barely call that a gaming card as it cant run many titles in ultra and use aa at 1080p. Id save for a better system, yes. Once prices drop, maybe late this year, then see whats up.
Do you have any idea how good is 1050ti? I am running R6 siege,GTA V,Heroes of the storm and other online games fix at 60-75 fps on very high settings on 1080p without a problem and you still call it "barely gaming card" Lmfao
I dont care about single player games since non of them worth my money

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Well, if you're happy with it then stay with it. You're on 1080p which isn't that intensive. If you were to say, go for a higher refresh rate monitor or 1440p and above then yeah I'd switch some things out. If you're happy with what you have then save the cash for a big upgrade later down the road.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Do you have any idea how good is 1050ti? I am running R6 siege,GTA V,Heroes of the storm and other online games fix at 60-75 fps on very high settings on 1080p without a problem and you still call it "barely gaming card" Lmfao
I dont care about single player games since non of them worth my money
I can read reviews pretty well. I don't own the card, nor have I reviewed it.

R6 seige, GTA V... a potato can render them. What about Anno? Assasins Creed? Deus Ex? COD3: BLOPS? F1 2016? No Man's Sky? Those are titles from the TPU review of an overclocked 1050Ti, none I just listed were over 40 FPS average. 3 under 30. PUBG? Also under 40. Fortnite, almost 60 woohoo, but again, a potato can render it too.

Again man, it all goes to what you want out of your GPU. And what i want out of my GPU, which is Ultra settings using AA and 60 FPS+ on all titles, a 1050Ti cannot handle. Sure, if you, like the other guy, is OK with turning down settings and not using AA, or plays games that a potato can render, then by all means, its a capable 1080p card.

But you asked what you should upgrade, and to me, a 1050Ti is the part that needs it more than anything at this point.... assuming you'll play games a potato can't render. If you play games like that, one can easily see how a 1050ti would be a capable 1080p card.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
It sounds like your PC is meeting your needs, so I wouldn't spend money now.

The graphics card is on the weak side, but since graphics card prices are crazy right now, you'd have to spend a fortune to replace it. Also, you'd have to upgrade that CPU to take full advantage of it too, substantially adding to the cost. Stay as you are for the foreseable future. That Seasonic PSU is a good backbone, in particular.

I'm curious: I play r6 Siege on a PS4 Pro with my friends (got the PC version too, but only for comparison). It's a fantastic game and brutally difficult. You say you run it at 75Hz with vsync on, so does that mean you run the monitor at 75Hz refresh and lock it with vsync with no dropped frames?

For comparison, I ran it on my PC at 144Hz vsync locked with the PS4 controller and it felt like I was using a massively upgraded PS4! :laugh: The extra smoothness and much lower lag are significant benefits on the PC with this twitch shooter game where every millisecond counts. And of course, Terrorist Hunt runs at 144fps too, unlike the PS4 which is stuck at a lousy 30fps. Now, if only I could convince my console friends to upgrade to a PC...

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X I Core i7 6700K
Motherboard B550 Phantom Gaming 4 I Asus Z170-A ATX
Video Card(s) RX 6900 XT PowerColor Red Devil I RTX 3080 Palit GamingPro
Storage Intel 665P 2TB I Intel 660p 2TB
Case NZXT S340 Elite I Some noname case lmao
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wired
Keyboard Wooting Two Lekker Edition
I dont call 25 fps good.... i dont call having to lower settings for playable fps good, lol!

There was 3 titles in tpus review of an overclocked 1050ti (gaming x) that were under 30 fps. 3 at 59-66, while most of the rest were in the 30s and 40s. I just dont consider it a good card for 1080p under the guise of being able to play the latest titles at adequate fps 60 fps give or take with AA and to play on it for a while ...we'll have to agree to disagree. :)

Edit: note...im not trying to hate on consoles, but i do notice a difference. :)

I have been a PC Gamer my whole life. Started caring about hardware during the good old TweakGuide days, where I learned to get 95% of Ultra settings, visuals-wise, for 80% of the cost in FPS. In MOST cases that is how it is. You would be unable to tell the difference between the two in the vast majority of cases no matter how hard you try.

On the review, they use Ultra settings. Custom settings will do much better and will STILL look better than a console would. That is what I mean.

Also dont worry. I am the only person on this thread to legitimately hate consoles unironically :p

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
human subjectivity.. if you are used to using a 1080TI a 1050TI wont be good enough for you.. but apart from that its perfectly okay to play games on..

i just put together a 1050ti machine recently.. before actually seeing how the 1050TI card works i would have dismissed it as not being up to the job but i have changed my mind..

they have a nice overclock as well.. they come underclocked to not exceed the 75 watt pci slots limit.. but it all comes down to what a person is used to..

trog

System Name Windows 10
Processor intel i5-4440 3.1 ghz
Motherboard asus h81m-c
Cooling Be Quiet Shadow Rock TF2
Memory Corsair 4gb 1600mhz Kingston 4gb1600 mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X 1050ti
Storage WD Blue ezex 2017 edition 7200rpm 1tb 64mb cache - Seagate 500gb 5900 rpm 6mb cache - Corsair Force
Display(s) Asus VG248Q
Case Aerocool LS 5200
Audio Device(s) Corsair void pro usb rgb / audio technica ath-m50x
Power Supply Seasonic m12ii 520w evo full modular
Mouse Logitech G502 RGB
Keyboard X7 G800V Gaming
Software Windows 10
It sounds like your PC is meeting your needs, so I wouldn't spend money now.

The graphics card is on the weak side, but since graphics card prices are crazy right now, you'd have to spend a fortune to replace it. Also, you'd have to upgrade that CPU to take full advantage of it too, substantially adding to the cost. Stay as you are for the foreseable future. That Seasonic PSU is a good backbone, in particular.

I'm curious: I play r6 Siege on a PS4 Pro with my friends (got the PC version too, but only for comparison). It's a fantastic game and brutally difficult. You say you run it at 75Hz with vsync on, so does that mean you run the monitor at 75Hz refresh and lock it with vsync with no dropped frames?

For comparison, I ran it on my PC at 144Hz vsync locked with the PS4 controller and it felt like I was using a massively upgraded PS4! :laugh: The extra smoothness and much lower lag are significant benefits on the PC with this twitch shooter game where every millisecond counts. And of course, Terrorist Hunt runs at 144fps too, unlike the PS4 which is stuck at a lousy 30fps. Now, if only I could convince my console friends to upgrade to a PC...
Yes fps does stay stable at 75 fps and i have 75 hz monitor asus VG245Q fps barely drops to 70-65 sometimes