• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should owners of processors affected by security problems receive compensation?

Should owners of processors affected by security problems receive compensation?

• Accept returns for the original price

Votes: 1,929 18.5%
  • A percentage equal to the performance lost

Votes: 1,169 11.2%
  • Fixed compensation in the 10% range

Votes: 411 3.9%
  • Offer free replacements

Votes: 2,173 20.8%
  • Get a discount on the next-generation CPU

Votes: 2,209 21.2%
  • Not as long as fixes are provided

Votes: 2,535 24.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Processor i7-14700k
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon Wifi
Cooling DeepCool LS720
Memory 32gb GSkill DDR5-6400 CL32 Trident Z5
Video Card(s) Intel ARC A770 LE
Storage 990 Pro 1tb, 980 Pro 512gb, WD black 4tb
Display(s) 3 x HP EliteDisplay E273
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitec MK520
Keyboard Logitec MK520
Software Win 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi 35805
I'd be happy with 40% off MSRP on any next gen Intel CPU. I'm still not entirely clear on the performance impacts of all the fixes, however my boss is ready to toss every Intel platform out(Desktop/laptop/server vmhost) and move to AMD. :kookoo:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I haven't experienced any issues. What would I get compensated for exactly? Would folks of other brands of processors also get this deal since all processors are affected?

Processor i7-14700k
Cooling DeepCool LS720
Mouse Logitec MK520
Keyboard Logitec MK520
Software Win 11 Pro
Everyone wants something for nothing...

So the supposed 30% performance loss in VMs is exaggerated? I'm only asking as I haven't been following that closely.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
With all the Meltdown & Spectre drama slowly clearing up, what should processor companies do that sold you such a processor?
Very Compelling question, I think if they provide a fix that is 100% secure then cool issue solved. Now if they continue to provide broken un-secure hardware and can't fix it then I think money back guaranty should be issued. If some one is affected then that becomes a bigger issue to me, say the breach causes money lose or some kind of harm? Then what? I think even MORE should be offered! They KNEW and KNOW good and well just what there product is and all about more than anyone of us consumers can EVER know about it.

So the supposed 30% performance loss in VMs is exaggerated? I'm only asking as I haven't been following that closely.
It's a bit more complicated than that. It depends on the VM being used, how it implements storage and how the base OS handles the VM resources. However some machines will take a hit on storage performance regardless of whether or not a VM is being used.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
The biggest losses I have seen so far have come from storage testing. Storage takes a hit almost regardless when using very fast drives (I dont think this affects HDDs or SATA SSDs - not sure on the latter). That isn't to say we won't find that 30% value being tossed around as true in some cases. But, we are also not AWS or Google or another large cloud provider. This question is to the users of TPU which it really doesn't affect at all (outside of ultra fast storage being handcuffed). Hell we have seen improvements, albeit a % or two, in some games. But really, this doesn't much affect the home user outside of a security perspective. So I say, 'everyone wants something for nothing' under that guise... a person, like 99% of people here, who it hampers so little if at all.

A business like AWS... that would be an entirely different story and would have to be based off performance analytics etc...

Processor i7-14700k
Cooling DeepCool LS720
Mouse Logitec MK520
Keyboard Logitec MK520
Software Win 11 Pro
The biggest losses I have seen so far have come from storage testing. Storage takes a hit almost regardless when using very fast drives (I dont think this affects HDDs or SATA SSDs - not sure on the latter). That isn't to say we won't find that 30% value being tossed around as true in some cases. But, we are also not AWS or Google or another large cloud provider. This question is to the users of TPU which it really doesn't affect at all (outside of ultra fast storage being handcuffed). Hell we have seen improvements, albeit a % or two, in some games. But really, this doesn't much affect the home user outside of a security perspective. So I say, 'everyone wants something for nothing' under that guise... a person, like 99% of people here, who it hampers so little if at all.

A business like AWS... that would be an entirely different story and would have to be based off performance analytics etc...
It's a bit more complicated than that. It depends on the VM being used, how it implements storage and how the base OS handles the VM resources. However some machines will take a hit on storage performance regardless of whether or not a VM is being used.

Thanks for the clarification.

Processor i7 8700K
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-A12x25 PWM + 4xNF-A14 PWM
Memory 16 GB Adata XPG Dazzle DDR4 3000 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8G
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus, Samsung 850 Evo
Display(s) Samsung C24FG73 144Hz 1080p
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 3
Power Supply Superflower Leadex II Gold 650W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'd be happy if they just fixed stuff properly. There's word of the Retpoline method that doesn't impact performance, yet Intel seems to not embrace that. I don't like losing performance if it's possible not to.
Other than that, the damage is already done. Intel had months to fix it yet we had to wait until it broke out and panic ensued. That is simply bad business practice and makes my 8700k purchase just a bit more bitter. I mean, common Intel, get your shit together, you and Nvidia have all the money in the world and at this point, a huge part of our future as a species is in Intel/Nvidia/Google's hands - I don't think it's an exaggeration saying this. When you're at this point, you gotta take responsibility for what you do, doing shady things like all the dumb run of the mill capitalist ventures should be a thing of the past, gotta evolve past that.
PS: yeah I know that probably won't happen, money is just money :\

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Where is the free pony option? Or credit monitoring for eternity.

When they figure out how to really fix this mess, let's see some performance numbers.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Everyone wants something for nothing...
If I am paying $200+ For a CPU that is UN-Secure and vulnerable to hackers or other things that can make or break my computer then I am for a FULL recompense for my troubles! Why is it "They" (Big corporations) get to get away with selling us crap that is faulty or UN-secure? Why is it just fine for them to sell millions of faulty pieces of equipment with out any one saying Sh*** about it?
It's not like "They" Will compensate anyone nor really give a rat's A##.
THe only thing they listen to is the cash if that stops then "They" LISTEN UP!
Only thing I can say is do not buy from them.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Ill suggest you read a bit more as you seem to have a 'world is crumbling' type mentality over this issue. :)

Im not saying its a non issue, but, it isnt as bad as you seem to feel either. ;)

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
trickson go smoke a bowl or something man chill out, you are gonna blow a o-ring
while you are at it get up to speed on current tech

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
trickson go smoke a bowl or something man chill out, you are gonna blow a o-ring
while you are at it get up to speed on current tech
UMM that's why i'm here! But the current tech is crap IMHO! Nothing like the good old days!

I have been smoking all day BTW good stuff grown in the backyard too!

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
ill say it again if your system is pwned enough to where a attacker can execute any of these exploits to any usable end

you are already rekt

drive by attacks by this are basically not a thing after java and browser patches if a attacker penetrates your system far enough to execute these its gg over ez
sometimes I think these security researchers have a little too much free time

there are far far easier attack vectors to use then this this requires effort and pretty intimate knowledge of the windows kernel,memory addresses and your attack surface

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
ill say it again if your system is pwned enough to where a attacker can execute any of these exploits to any usable end

you are already rekt
This sounds like a Clinton server or the FBI data base!

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
If I am paying $200+ For a CPU that is UN-Secure and vulnerable to hackers or other things that can make or break my computer then I am for a FULL recompense for my troubles!
Except that the worst vulnerabilities effect ALL CPU's made since the early 90's. So you want a refund for every CPU you've ever bought, including the one in your phone?

In a court of law, any company would argue, correctly, that the CPU functions as intended, that you have received full use from it and that they are not the only company to be affected by the unforeseen and unintentional vulnerabilities. They would also argue that they are doing their due diligence to resolve the problem. From a legal standpoint, no one has any claim. The problem will be fixed. Till then, the best people can do is to improve their computing ethic and digital security methodologies. Also keep in mind, that while scary, neither Meltdown nor Spectre can be easily exploited on datacenter servers and especially on consumer PC's and mobile devices. It's so difficult that unless an attacker knows what they want and that you have it, such an attack wouldn't be worth the effort or risk of getting caught.

Much-a-do-about-nothing...

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Except that the worst vulnerabilities effect ALL CPU's made since the early 90's. So you want a refund for every CPU you've ever bought, including the one in your phone?

In a court of law, any company would argue, correctly, that the CPU functions as intended, that you have received full use from it and that they are not the only company to be affected by the unforeseen and unintentional vulnerabilities. They would also argue that they are doing their due diligence to resolve the problem. From a legal standpoint, no one has any claim. The problem will be fixed. Till then, the best people can do is to improve their computing ethic and digital security methodologies. Also keep in mind, that while scary, neither Meltdown nor Spectre can be easily exploited on datacenter servers and especially on consumer PC's and mobile devices. It's so difficult that unless an attacker knows what they want and that you have it, it wouldn't be worth the effort or risk of getting caught.

Much-a-do-about-nothing...
Actually it isn't much ado about nothing if say it affects a companies bottom line, I can guarantee if any company lost any cash due to some security vulnerability built into a CPU there would be far more than just a stale argument about functionality and you got what you wanted for a lame argument in court. This is something that THEY knew full well about and continue to keep making it would seem it is something that is built in and can't be fixed! Security is a MUST in this digital age and if some one can exploit it they will for cash! This is why I feel YES "They" Should pay up and IN full if (And only if) the built in security flaw causes any harm monetarily or physically!
It comes down to culpability and that would fall on the maker of a failed product plain and simple.

It comes down to culpability and that would fall on the maker of a failed product plain and simple.
But that would mean that you have to blame ALL makers of CPU's and hold all of them accountable. No court is ever going to hold one company accountable and not others. The legal system doesn't work that way. In civil law you have to prove actual damage, in this case you have to prove that the vulnerabilities were exploited and caused damages, either physical or financial. None of that has happened as there are no known active exploits for these vulnerabilities. But even if there were, you also have to prove either intent or negligence. Neither of those conditions exist and will not meet burden of proof standards. No one has a case that will stand up to legal scrutiny. And any case that is brought before a court will have to include every maker of CPU's as defendants. No ethical law firm is going to pursue actions with facts as is currently known.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
But that would mean that you have to blame ALL makers of CPU's and hold all of them accountable. No court is ever going to hold one company accountable and not others. The legal system doesn't work that way. In civil law you have to prove actual damage, in this case you have to prove that the vulnerabilities were exploited and caused damages, either physical or financial. None of that has happened as there are no known active exploits for these vulnerabilities. But even if there were, you also have to prove either intent or negligence. Neither of those conditions exist and will not meet burden of proof standards. No one has a case that will stand up to legal scrutiny. And any case that is brought before a court will have to include every maker of CPU's as defendants. No ethical law firm is going to pursue actions with facts as is currently known.
No that is NOT true at all. You only need to take one to court, the one that got hacked or is defective. How can you even state that as a fact? if someone was harmed say by having this vulnerability exploited and had proof (hypothetically ) then they would only have to sue the one company making the faulty product. how can you even state that you would have to take on all CPU manufacturers? NO! You would only have to take the very computer that was affected prove that it was the one prove the damages say it took out your entire data base and stopped production of your products and cost you thousands, once proven case closed. It isn't hard to prove exploitation if the exploit is built into the product and it's well known! LOL!

Last edited:
How can you even state that as a fact?
Simple, I've had dealings with the civil legal system. Experience and knowledge of case law.
if someone was harmed say by having this vulnerability
You would have to prove Intel was a party to the damage done, either by negligence or by willful action. Neither applies.
then they would only have to sue the one company making the faulty product.
But that is the point I was trying to make above. Meltdown is effectively patched and solved. No longer a serious problem. Spectre affects ALL CPU's, not just AMD, Intel, etc., etc.
You would only have to take the very computer that was affected prove that it was the one prove the damages say it took out your entire data base and stopped production of your products and cost you thousands, once proven case closed.
That is not the way it works. Meltdown and Spectre are not design defects or flaws. They are vulnerabilities that can exploit the normal functionality of the hardware in question. As such any claim against a company would need to be backed up by evidence that some form of negligence or willful act was taken by the company in question in regards to the the act of attack. That has not happened and is very unlikely as the vulnerabilities that are difficult to patch have been around for 25 years and have no known exploits. The defense attorneys will argue that because they have been around for so long and were unforeseen, they are not liable. They could argue statues of limitations, which has worked in past cases, or they could argue that they did not carry out the attack, nor could reasonably prevent it. There are mountains of arguments that could be used as a valid defense.

No company is going to offer refunds, credits, discounts or anything like that. Not the way the world works, and for good reason.