1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Shutting down ISSUES!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by «BladE|==|, Jul 3, 2006.

1. «BladE|==| New Member

Thanks Received:
    FFS! Another one! This baby can't even shut down properly! 90% of the time when you want to SHUT DOWN the computer, it will hang at "windows is shutting down.." part of the process. For the record, it NEVER does this if your restart...I looked in BIOS, and turned ACPI off, and windows doesn't even boot! lol. It's not the PSU, NOT THE RAM, NOT programs starting up, and probably not the processor, halp..

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. {JNT}Raptor

{JNT}Raptor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Theres a tweak out there called "Clear Pagefile at Shutdown"....Is It possible you Enabled this tweak?...That would explain the hangup only on shutdown and not restarts.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Same happens here, it's a Windows problem. Usually a clean/re-install of XP will solve it.

For me, at first, random shut downs were happening, then I found out if I overclocked my sytem too much, my PSU wouldn't be able to handle it all(18A on 12v rail). So, a new PSU would help it, but I'm at stock for now. but when I went to stock, my comp still wouldn't shut down, so I did a clean install of XP and it worked. but then it came back again, and some people said it was a Windows problem. So I tried XP pro x64, and it was gone.

It's usually a Windows problem though. Can you still shutdown your comp by pressing the off button in the front of the case?

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Should that be enabled or disabled?

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. {JNT}Raptor

{JNT}Raptor New Member

Thanks Received:
    It depends......If your a paranoid Individual.....then enable It to clear the pagefile and the remnants of Data In there....but It adds loads of time to the shutdown process....It's Off by default On XP.

It can be found In Xp at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management"

Should be the top key In the right window.....double click It and edit It to 1 Instead of 0 to enable It.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. bim27142

bim27142

Thanks Received:
    disable it... it will only prolong your shutdown times...

10 Year Member at TPU