• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Signs Point to New Mac Desktops Coming Soon

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
A report from AppleInsider indicates that Apple is clearing the channel of current iMac models. Distributors and resellers are supposedly being told to not expect any additional new stock and to sell through the stock they currently have on hand. The updated iMacs are expected to ditch the Core2 Duos used in lower-end models for Core i5 and—in the lowest-end models—Core i3 processors.

These new desktops are expected to feature updated Intel processors, much faster graphics cards, USB 3.0, and perhaps a faster version of FireWire. AppleInsider also suggests that Apple has test prototypes in its labs using processors from Intel-rival AMD. Given what we know about both companies' current line-ups, though, we are doubtful that iMacs or Mac Pros powered by AMD processors will be released anytime soon.

Mac Pros are no longer available to reserve for pickup at some retail locations. This suggests that inventory is shrinking, and may be a sign that the long (and we mean long) overdue Mac Pro update is nearing release. Apple hasn't released a new Mac Pro in nearly 18 months, though the update cycle for the workstation averages about 8 months.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/07/signs-point-to-new-mac-desktops-coming-soon.ars

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2010/07/24/signs_point_to_new_mac_desktops_coming_soon

Unfortunately i don't care for MAC's.:D