1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Six Days in Fallujah

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheMailMan78, Apr 6, 2009.

1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I want to play this game but I honestly think its to soon for art to emulate life yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Source

2. Marineborn

Thanks Received:
    thats interesting, but people are gonna have a rude reality pretty soon and they might not like it! life isnt all candy and flowers, ive seen it first hand

TheMailMan78 says thanks.
  3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree. I think its to soon for something like this.

4. Blacksniper87 New Member

Thanks Received:
    not at all maybe this will make people support the troops over their once they see how hard it is

5. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What's so entertaining about getting your ass shot off half a world away from your home.

6. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    I also agree. This wouldn't be a bad idea coming out a couple years AFTER the war. I honestly think if people want a real shooter about wars now, they should not make a game after it.
    I mean, think of the people that may have lost someone during that time frame...

7. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I like the idea a lot. Tho, I am far from a sensitive person. My take on it is, if you don't like it, don't buy it, but don't bitch about it and ruin it for me.

IggSter and digibucc say thanks.
  8. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good idea perhaps a minimum of 3 years after the war it might be?
    Good idea now, definitely not!

9. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    I agree with you WileE, I just have to wonder sometimes what length the game developers will go to give us entertainment. I think that gaming should be a fun escape, not to drag us screaming into the latest news headline.

As always, just my opinion and I respect anyone who disagrees. Except Erocker. :D

10. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Sounds interesting, being over a span of six days; I imagine this well help draw out the day to night to day cycle, and all of the stuff that can at any moment in between.

What puts me off is the third person. That alone utterly kills (no pun intended) the whole concept of immersion.

We'll just have to wait and see about their realism physics.

As for the war sensitivity thing.... I dunno why is it ok to enjoy games about World War II under this same arguement? There's still veterans around? Is it because there's less?

Surely it can't because the war is still going on. That's really a technicality isn't it? There isn't much a war; not on the grand scale that we saw years ago.

Think it's a bit of a double standard to be at peace with developers making games that include wanton and gratuitous violence towards police officers or children; or titles that delve into incest and rape, but then to cry foul over something like this.

I'd much rather they re-create a factual based experience, than just make up something violent and go 'it's art.'

11. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I want it now, personally. I don't really see how timing should effect it.

digibucc says thanks.
  12. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Timing is inconsequential, I just like to play games to get away from the details of everyday. Probably why I like RPGs and Space games. LOL

13. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    I prefer futuristic and sci-fi/paranormal shooters. Games based on probable and or factual events just are not my thing.

Seriously though this game is oozing with so much propaganda and pro western military bullshit its kinda pathetic.

I'd rather pay for a WOW subscription than play this... and I hate MMORPGs.

14. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    its a game, doesnt bother me

15. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Never have truer words been spoken.

I like the look of this, I like realistic portrayals of war that tell a story and aren't just run and gun.

16. bigtye New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you are interested in "immersing yourself" in this theatre you could try a book?:) I know, ironical isn't, recommending a book on a tech site.

Seriously though, House to House by David Bellavia is an excellent read for first person perspective on modern urban combat. A Staff Sergeant in the army he fought in Fallujah and several other locations during his time in Iraq.

Regardless of your political leanings, as a soldiers recount of his experiences this one is well worth the read. He has been awarded a silver and bronze star and was nomimated for a medal of honour by his fellow soldiers.

He does not talk about the war being right or wrong, merely how it was for him. In several instances you can feel his respect for the courage of the enemy he fights against, and some of the frustration he felt for his own organisation, the American Army. Overall a balanced perspective.

I guess my main point is, I feel you will far better appreciate a game on this material when you have read the book.

Tye

17. Paintface

Paintface New Member

Thanks Received:
    its a videogame..... if you cant deal with that i would hope you dont support actual human beings being exposed to this kind of brutality.

18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Listen guys I'm not against this game coming out. I just think a current conflict should be resolved before we make entertainment about it. First off this game will be a GAME. Nothing will be real about it other than the conflicts its emulating. With that being said why couldn't it be about Bosnia or Somalia? Why does it have to be about "Six Days in Fallujah"? To cause controversy and hype at the cost of our military. To sell games.

I personally have a friend that was in Fallujah and hes shipping off again in the fall. Two purple hearts. Like me he wasn't against the game being made he was against the timing and the developers reasoning. I mean would you guys feel the same way if a game was made during the 911 highjacks? Where you could play a passenger and the goal was to fight the cowards who took over the plane? No that would be to sensitive a subject and a blatant stab by game developers to cause hype. Even today.

I say release this game the day we bring our fighting men and women home. This is my opinion and nothing personal to you guys at all. :toast:

19. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Wouldn't even remotely bother me either. I don't think the conflict should have to be over at all. I look at it this way, I get to kill the baddies when all of it is still relevant.

20. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    Any word on a demo?

21. raptori

raptori

Thanks Received:
    To free Iraqis..... from what "I don't KNOW" ..... and trust me ...no company in world will make a game life like if its related to a war in Arabic area because it will not gonna be good propaganda to support THE WAR ..... apart from that..... I CAN'T believe that those games companies can't write a single Arabic sentence in the right way they always make it flipped horizontally :laugh: or write the letters "Characters" separated and look @ this pic

[​IMG]

the word circled with red it mean "Dubai" which is capital of United Arab Emirates (UAE) :roll: .... so what the hell this vehicle doing in Fallujah ... no matter how big the company making the game they'll look like very beginner if some Arabic person review it.

Attached Files:

erocker and CDdude55 say thanks.
  22. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Hi there Babilonian mate Raptori, just want to say WOW, for living over there and sharing this hobby with us.

Just because developers live 1/2 a globe away, is not enough excuse for failing in localization.

I remember MotoGP games that had Sevilla and Barcelona city buildings completely interchanged, that's like pyramids in Baghdad and the Ziggurats in Cairo hehehe

23. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    that's what turns me away. forget about "too early" , just be factual and truthful and the timing is not a problem, as when it is pure propaganda - there is no right time.

forget about politics and timing and everything - the game just doesn't look very good.

24. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe

Thanks Received:
  25. dustyshiv

dustyshiv

Thanks Received:
    Funny indeed!! But Abu Dhabi is the capital of UAE!!:p