• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SK Hynix Envisions the Future: 600-Layer 3D NAND and EUV-made DRAM

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
On March 22nd, the CEO of SK Hynix, Seok-Hee Lee, gave a keynote speech to the IEEE International Reliability Physics Symposium (IRPS) and shared with experts a part of its plan for the future of SK Hynix products. The CEO took the stage and delivered some conceptual technologies that the company is working on right now. At the center of the show, two distinct products stood out - 3D NAND and DRAM. So far, the company has believed that its 3D NAND scaling was very limited and that it can push up to 500 layers sometime in the future before the limit is reached. However, according to the latest research, SK Hynix will be able to produce 600-layer 3D NAND technology in the distant future.

So far, the company has managed to manufacture and sample 512Gb 176-layer 3D NAND chips, so the 600-layer solutions are still far away. Nonetheless, it is a possibility that we are looking at. Before we reach that layer number, there are various problems needed to be solved so the technology can work. According to SK Hynix, "the company introduced the atomic layer deposition (ALD) technology to further improve the cell property of efficiently storing electric charges and exporting them when needed, while developing technology to maintain uniform electric charges over a certain amount through the innovation of dielectric materials. In addition to this, to solve film stress issues, the mechanical stress levels of films is controlled and the cell oxide-nitride (ON) material is being optimized. To deal with the interference phenomenon between cells and charge loss that occur when more cells are stacked at a limited height, SK Hynix developed the isolated-charge trap nitride (isolated-CTN) structure to enhance reliability."

When it comes to DRAM, the company is looking to overcome some very interesting problems. By using extreme ultraviolet (EUV) lithography, the company can solve the limitation of patterning on non-EUV processes. Things are looking very bright and the process should get below 10 nm easily. To keep the cell capacitance in check, SK Hynix is trying to refine the dielectric thickness and develop new materials with high dielectric constant. All of those capacitive cells need to interconnect, and to get as low resistance as possible, the company is working on the next-generation electrode and insulating materials.

However, this is not everything that the South Korean company has to work on. The CEO talked about the convergence of memory and logic, with the current industry trend being just that. So far, we have seen processing near memory, like we see with chips with HBM stacked just next to it; processing in memory, where the processor is present with memory in a single package. But, SK Hynix wants to use a new approach of computing in-memory concept, where the memory is capable of performing computation by itself. Applications such as AI and machine learning would benefit the most, along with other uses we think of in the meantime. What we will end up with is not known, as the company only showcased a concept, so the final products are still a few years away.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Isn't the world running out of sand? How exactly do they plan to make all this silicon stuff 15 years from now?

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Isn't the world running out of sand? How exactly do they plan to make all this silicon stuff 15 years from now?
Good question, I expect they hope someone will find some more though plus procurement isn't normally on the mind of scientists, designers etc, that's purchasings job and management.
I worked at a place that hammered all the walls with they're patents, as a kind of art,. I loved it, great read but I sware they're was an Aire of comedy to it too.
Like ,
patent A a pipe
Patent B a pipe In a pipe(not pipe could be banana)
Patent C a pipe in a pipe in a pipe ( not necessarily a pipe, could be a banana)

All with diagrams.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Why is DRAM not manufactured in layers? I can't even find a reference to any company researching the technology to do that.

(The dies are usually stacked, that's obvious, but I mean layers similar to those in NAND.)

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Why is DRAM not manufactured in layers? I can't even find a reference to any company researching the technology to do that.

(The dies are usually stacked, that's obvious, but I mean layers similar to those in NAND.)

Because reducing node size has no drawbacks really in DRAM. It has longevity drawbacks in NAND, hence them wanting to stack and fallback to older nodes.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Good question, I expect they hope someone will find some more though plus procurement isn't normally on the mind of scientists, designers etc, that's purchasings job and management.
I worked at a place that hammered all the walls with they're patents, as a kind of art,. I loved it, great read but I sware they're was an Aire of comedy to it too.
Like ,
patent A a pipe
Patent B a pipe In a pipe(not pipe could be banana)
Patent C a pipe in a pipe in a pipe ( not necessarily a pipe, could be a banana)

All with diagrams.
I wonder with Apple is like that
-a smooth curve
-a smooth curve with a radius on it
-a smooth curve with a radius on a radius on it ;)

System Name Storm Wrought | Blackwood (HTPC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x @stock | i7 2600k
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WIFI m-ITX | Some POS gigabyte board
Cooling Deepcool AK620, BQ shadow wings 3 High Spd, stock 180mm |BQ Shadow rock LP + 4x120mm Noctua redux
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x32GB 4000MHz | 2x4GB 2000MHz @1866
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6800XT Red Dragon | PNY a2000 6GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 1TB, 1TB KC3000, 850EVO 500GB, 2+8TB Seagate, LG Blu-ray | 120GB Sandisk SSD, 4TB WD red
Display(s) Samsung UJ590UDE 32" UHD monitor | LG CS 55" OLED
Case Silverstone TJ08B-E | Custom built wooden case (Aus native timbers)
Audio Device(s) Onboard, Sennheiser HD 599 cans / Logitech z163's | Edifier S2000 MKIII via toslink
Power Supply Corsair HX 750 | Corsair SF 450
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse| Some logitech one
Keyboard GMMK w/ Zelio V2 62g (78g for spacebar) tactile switches & Glorious black keycaps| Some logitech one
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Edu | Ubuntu 22.04
Benchmark Scores Look in the various benchmark threads
The world isn't running out of sand per say, it is running out of highly pure silica sands (where all the feldspar, rutile etc has been lost from it), which is what is needed for production of silicon

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The world isn't running out of sand per say, it is running out of highly pure silica sands (where all the feldspar, rutile etc has been lost from it), which is what is needed for production of silicon

ok so my question still stands. lol

System Name Ryzen
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus (Wi-Fi)
Cooling Cryorig H7
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB + 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 6700 XT GAMING OC
Storage WD_Black SN850 500GB NVMe SSD + Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Gigabyte G27QC
Case NZXT H510 Flow
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Prime
Power Supply Corsair RM650x Gold 650W
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS Cherry MX Blue
Software Windows 11 Pro
Your comment led me to this article. Interesting read:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Your comment led me to this article. Interesting read:

just read it myself. very interesting indeed. i wonder what the timeline is for running out of sand. or how hard it will be to transform desert sand to usable sand.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
The real question is what will replace silicon.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

I don't know enough about how CPU's work to ponder that... as just someone who understand basic stuff I still don't understand why we can't have vanta black carbon nano-tubes - with flashes of light sending the 0's and 1's, and the software will simply read the light if it's a 0 or 1, and boom infinite power CPU that requires less wattage than LED light bulb.

but again, i know that must be impossible, as I have no idea how it all works. otherwise someone would have done it by now.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
W
we are gonna need a replacment for silicon anyway no matter if we run out of it
Silicon is a substrate it cant just keep getting better intel and and nvidea are already dam well pushing that performance wall
eventually it will be fully impossible to get any more performance out a silicon chip and then we need a replacement

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
Silicon will never be replaced, its the perferred material of most sex workers.