1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Skyrim random lag

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mikeyman001, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Mikeyman001

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I've been playing skyrim and lately there have been random lag spikes. My Game is heavily modded and when i turn on the lower graphics settings i still experience lag. I also recently Reformatted it. I know it is not a hard drive problem because i put it on my SSD; both the hard drive and SSD work fine with skyrim.

2. ATi > nVidia New Member

Thanks Received:
    NPC lag... or ghost lag. Use Hi-jack this...shut down background services. Turn-off windows features like Aero. Or get moar RAM. If you have a lot of RAM, try a 4GB flag enabler so Skyrim can use more ram.

What's your rig like?

I'm playing Skyrim right now with many mods... no issues.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    As mentioned you don't have much RAM. You also have just a i5 750, and if it's just running at stock speed, it isn't very fast. A single 560 also isn't much for heavily modded Skyrim, esp at high res and max settings. A 560 doesn't have much VRAM either.

When you tried lowering settings, did you lower res at all, and what res are you running at?

As mentioned, you can free up some RAM by turning some things off. Try disabling any background apps you're running, including AV and FW. On Aero you can either setup a separate Basic theme to switch to, or easier still, just right click the exe of the game, click properties, then on the compatibility tab set it to launch with no visual themes or desktop composition. I also put my page file on a secondary partition of my SSD.

Also, there's lots of settings you can adjust to optimize the performance and longevity of your SSD. Here's the guide I used. http://maketecheasier.com/12-things...g-a-solid-state-drive-in-windows-7/2012/05/11

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  4. ATi > nVidia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I'm using about 2GB right now. I have 16 GB so i'm good. 4 GB RAM might not be enough.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Try the Optimized Textures mod. It relieves a lot of that stuttering.

6. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received: