• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sleep Mode... It won't wake up!

error_f0rce

Processor Intel Core i7-930 (D0) @ 4.0GHz (1.28v)
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
Cooling CoolIT ECO-R120 Advanced Liquid Cooling w/ x2 Scythe ULTRA-KAZE 3000rpm | Scythe Master controller
Memory Mushkin Enhanced Redline - 6GB DDR3 @ 1910MHz 8-10-8-29
Video Card(s) MSI N460GTX Twin Frozr II SOC GeForce GTX 460 768MB 192-bit GDDR5
Storage RAID-0 w/ 2x OCZ Agility 2 SSD 90GB SATA II 3.5" (r4.6Gb/s w4.2Gb/s)
Display(s) ASUS VW266H - 26" LCD
Case COOLER MASTER Storm Scout | x2 120mm Scythe ULTRA-KAZE | 140mm Scythe Slipstream KAZE Maru2
Power Supply Thermaltake Black Widow TR2 RX - 850w
Ever since I built my most recent system, when I try to put it in standby mode using XP it goes, but then it won't wake up. Do I need to tweak the power settings in my BIOS to support this? Anyone else have this problem, thoughts, ideas?:confused:

i_am_mustang_man

Processor AMD X2 AM2+
Memory 2GB DDR2
Video Card(s) 7900gto
Storage 80GB+120GB 7200RPM IDE + 250GB SATA2 + 500GB SATA2
Display(s) 26" 1920x1200
Case Antec Nine Hundred
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Power Supply Ultra 600W with X-Connect
Software Vista Ultimate
my laptop does that too. i just didn't use sleep or standby or hibernate. that's my recommendation.

i'm sorry, that's an awful answer to your question. but that's what i did when i had/have that same problem. meh

newmodder

System Name Gamer
Processor amd phenom quad core 9950 black edition
Motherboard msi ms-7309
Cooling 120mm front,120mm rear
Memory 2gigs ddr2 800
Video Card(s) BFG gtx 260 maxcore
Storage wd 160gig sata2 hd
Display(s) LG 20in widescreen
Case USP 100
Audio Device(s) onboard Logitech x-530 5.1 spkrs
Power Supply Antec Neo 550watt
Software windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
googled it and

googled it and found that there may be corrupt xp files and suggests to run a chkdsk on your main drive.
also ctrl+alt+delete and shut down all proceeses that you can and see if that works.:rockout:

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Processor AMD R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Modded 240mm Coolermaster Liquidmaster
Memory 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz & custom timings
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Storage 250GB Asgard SSD, 1TB Integral SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 27" BenQ Mobiuz
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E
Power Supply 1000w Supernova
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Fast. I don't need epeen.
Perhaps it just likes sleeping in? :p I know thats not helpful, but you gotta have some cheeky sarcasm sometimes :D

Poisonsnak

Processor FX-8150
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme lapped & shimmed
Memory Patriot Viper Extreme 8GB DDR3-1866 9-11-9-27 1.65V
Video Card(s) MSI 6950 2GB Twin Frozr II @ 6970 875/1375
Storage Crucial M4 0309 64GB
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case Corsair 650D
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX750
Software Windows [8] Developer Preview
I agree with mustang man, but if you want some help getting it to work:

Try changing the suspend type from S3 (a.k.a. Suspend-To-RAM or STR) to S1 (regular Standby) if there's an option like that in the BIOS. S3 uses less power (shuts off lots of stuff) but is harder to wake up from.

Also try updating your video card drivers. If you've ever tried to put a new computer to sleep you'll find windows won't even let you standby until some video drivers other than the default are installed.

snook1

Won't Wake Up From Hibernate Or Standby

THIS MIGHT BE SEEM SILLY, BUT THE MOTHER BOARD HAS JUMPERS FOR WAKE UP TO WORK, ALSO REQUIRES AN ATC POWER SUPPLY, THERE ARE ALSO SETTINGS IN THE BIOS TO ACTIVE THAT FEATURE, HAVE YOU CHECKED THAT.
I HAD MINE WORKING OK, TILL I UPGRADE MY BOOT DRIVE FROM AN IDE DRIVE TO A SATA WD74 GIGBYTE RAPTOR 10000, NOW IT DOES NO LONGER WORK. ONCE IT POWER UPS THE SYSTEM WORKS CORRECTLY AND FASTER THAN WITH THE IDE HDD. ARE YOU USING A SATA HDD TO BOOT FROM.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT, BY THE WAY IF I TELL MY SYSTEM TO FULLY POWER DOWN AND THEN PRESS USE THE MOUSE OR THE KEYBOARD, IT DOES POWER UP, SO I SUSPECT IT FURTHER HAS TO DO WITH THE SATA DRIVE.
WHEN I TELL MY SYSTEM TO HIBERNATE I DO SEE THE MESSAGE SAYING IT IS PREPARING TO HIBERNATE, BUT DO NOT SEE THE NEXT SCREEN THAT SHOWS IT IS GOING TO HIBERNATE WITH THE PERCENTAGE OF COMPLETE. :roll:
I WILL POST ANY FURTHER DEVELOPEMENT, AS I DO LIKE THE STANDBY AND HIBERNATE FUNCTIONS.

error_f0rce

Processor Intel Core i7-930 (D0) @ 4.0GHz (1.28v)
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
Cooling CoolIT ECO-R120 Advanced Liquid Cooling w/ x2 Scythe ULTRA-KAZE 3000rpm | Scythe Master controller
Memory Mushkin Enhanced Redline - 6GB DDR3 @ 1910MHz 8-10-8-29
Video Card(s) MSI N460GTX Twin Frozr II SOC GeForce GTX 460 768MB 192-bit GDDR5
Storage RAID-0 w/ 2x OCZ Agility 2 SSD 90GB SATA II 3.5" (r4.6Gb/s w4.2Gb/s)
Display(s) ASUS VW266H - 26" LCD
Case COOLER MASTER Storm Scout | x2 120mm Scythe ULTRA-KAZE | 140mm Scythe Slipstream KAZE Maru2
Power Supply Thermaltake Black Widow TR2 RX - 850w
Thanks for all the info guys, and even, yes, the cheeky sarcasm :D !!!

Mustang, I don't think that was an awful answer, it was a logical one as sleeping a computer is not a necessity. Problem is I'm a techjunkie, and if my stuff doesn't work just right, or to the maximum of it's capacity, I tend to loss sleep over it :cry: :banghead: :laugh: It's all about that warm squishy feeling!! :cool: (see sig)

Ok 3 things:

1.) I just did a fresh install with XP Pro, and haven' tried "sleeping" it yet. Will try that tonight.
2.) Yes I boot from my SATA drive, but this problem orignally manifested while I was still booting from IDE.
3.) I'll check out those BIOS settings. I've suspected them for a while, but didn't know enough about what each one did in regards to suspend status. Will try that (thnx Poisonsnak).

i_am_mustang_man

Processor AMD X2 AM2+
Memory 2GB DDR2
Video Card(s) 7900gto
Storage 80GB+120GB 7200RPM IDE + 250GB SATA2 + 500GB SATA2
Display(s) 26" 1920x1200
Case Antec Nine Hundred
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Power Supply Ultra 600W with X-Connect
Software Vista Ultimate
thanks for kind words!

I would say I am too, but that's why I didn't like sleep. to each his own! my pc sleeps, but I never got into it, I just shut down, esp cuz boot up is less than 40 sec

do you know how much power is being drained in sleep mode? I have no idea

I know the psp drains a battery in like 5 hours-6 hours (initially, read a review) but with sleep on, they played for like 3 hours, let it sleep for a week, and then played another 3 hours, so it's pretty minimal (if sleep operates the same. I know hibernate does even more cut back)

it kind of freaks me out to know my computer is 'on' but not, and sometimes just a keystroke will wake it,

i think i have paranoia weird guy syndrome lol

zukisocks

Vista wont wake up from sleep mode

my problem was first I couldnt get Vista to sleep - then I clicked start, sleep and off it went - now it wont wake up despite me pressing any key or shaking the mouse vigourously.

Has it had so long without sleep it is down for 14 hours like when I have a mad night out hee hee. Seriously - can somebody help please???? I have only had the PC for a few weeks so its brand new factory settings. I tried the power management thing first and it is set for 20 minutes if that helps. So its not the Vista settings thats the problem. I have two PCs in my house. I am on my Windows Xp machine now which wakes up easily with a little shake of the mouse. but the other is still asleep zzzzzz :cry:

firstsecond

System Name Acer8204
Processor Intel Core Duo Processor T2500 (codename: Yonah)
Motherboard Unknown (laptop board)
Cooling Unknown (below average)
Memory 2GB (2x1024MB PC2-4300)
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon X1600
Storage 120GB 5400RPM
Display(s) 15.4" WSXGA+ Wide TFT LCD
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Software Windows Vista Business (6.0.6000)
I've been living with this problem since I installed Vista on my laptop. It's a crazy problem. I solved it on desktops but not my laptop.

the most common solution i found is to disable the your mouse's "ability to wake up computer" in device manager. Use keyboard to wake up your vista computer. It's something about the USB drivers.

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Thanks for all the info guys, and even, yes, the cheeky sarcasm :D !!!

Mustang, I don't think that was an awful answer, it was a logical one as sleeping a computer is not a necessity. Problem is I'm a techjunkie, and if my stuff doesn't work just right, or to the maximum of it's capacity, I tend to loss sleep over it :cry: :banghead: :laugh: It's all about that warm squishy feeling!! :cool: (see sig)

Ok 3 things:

1.) I just did a fresh install with XP Pro, and haven' tried "sleeping" it yet. Will try that tonight.
2.) Yes I boot from my SATA drive, but this problem orignally manifested while I was still booting from IDE.
3.) I'll check out those BIOS settings. I've suspected them for a while, but didn't know enough about what each one did in regards to suspend status. Will try that (thnx Poisonsnak).

It might be incompatible memory. Go into Bios and load Optimized defaults. Save it and boot into windows. Then put it to sleep. Press the power button to see if it wakes up.

Then let us know. We will go to step 2.
:toast:

zukisocks

computer wont wake up in Vista

thanks, The problem was that on hitting ESC or any key on the keyboard wont wake up the PC either. This seems to be a common problem with Vista from the posts here.
When I pressed the power button funnily enough, it woke up - then I disabled the mouse ability to wake up as you said. I am not sure what the difference is between hibernate and sleep mode. I pressed start and hit sleep last time, perhaps this time I will try hitting hibernate instead. Mind I shouldnt have to do this then I am manually putting it in hibernate or sleep - isnt it supposed to go into sleep mode itself?
Sometimes I am glad I still have Wndows XP and my other PC hee.

Last edited:

ktr

Ever since I built my most recent system, when I try to put it in standby mode using XP it goes, but then it won't wake up. Do I need to tweak the power settings in my BIOS to support this? Anyone else have this problem, thoughts, ideas?:confused:

Read this: http://dl.maximumpc.com/Archives/MPC0807-web.pdf , and go to page 29 (according to the pdf, which is page 48 according to the mag). That should help on the configuring.

Also, there is a known issues in where the graphic card does not wake up the monitor if you are using dvi. Try sleeping again, and wake it up...then unplug and plug the dvi. I recommend googling "dvi wakeup standby" for this is a common problem.

SecretJuju

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the power settings.
If you have a USB keyboard, then the internal hub would need to stay powered through sleep mode if you want to wake it from pressing a key. Tap your NumLock, if it doesn't light up then this'll be the case.

Not a solution, but maybe some help.

was there ever a solution to the no wake issue.

I am sure it is a function of the video driver. I have the latest and it doesn't work.
It won't even offer a sleep mode until I load a video driver.
When I do it won't wake up.

THIS WAS WEIRD........ BUT..............

It appears to have been the new hard drive keeping the system from "waking up".

After I replaced the old drive and it worked perfectly, I called Seagate.
However, they had no clue as to what could be wrong. They did agree to warranty it.

Before returning it I tried another test. I ran SpinRite and it showed massive seek errors - over 150,000 within 50% of the drive. The errors were constant and not in just one spot. I must be a mechanical issue because the data was fine.

Somehow that stopped it from powering up on the Wakeup and nothing happened.

Apparently, the wake up process doesn't tolerate seek errors.

Last edited:

m6soto

PHEW! It can wake from sleep now!

I agree with mustang man, but if you want some help getting it to work:

Try changing the suspend type from S3 (a.k.a. Suspend-To-RAM or STR) to S1 (regular Standby) if there's an option like that in the BIOS. S3 uses less power (shuts off lots of stuff) but is harder to wake up from.

OMFG. Poisonsnak, you are a freakin' genius. I know your post is over 4 years old, but it just saved my behind! My Dad's Dell Inspiron 530S has been having really junky wake from sleep, but now, turning the default S3 to S1, it can wake just fine from sleep!!! Now I've got to take a power meter to it and see how much juice it sucks in standby.

Thanks a million!

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
OMFG. Poisonsnak, you are a freakin' genius. I know your post is over 4 years old, but it just saved my behind! My Dad's Dell Inspiron 530S has been having really junky wake from sleep, but now, turning the default S3 to S1, it can wake just fine from sleep!!! Now I've got to take a power meter to it and see how much juice it sucks in standby.

Thanks a million!

usually S1 means fans and other parts will still be running except the CPU. S3 is the best option. I would say either reset everything in the bios and set the sleep as S3 or your memory is crapping out.

If S3 not working try S5 (a.k.a Hibernation).

m6soto

No go still. :(

usually S1 means fans and other parts will still be running except the CPU. S3 is the best option. I would say either reset everything in the bios and set the sleep as S3 or your memory is crapping out.

If S3 not working try S5 (a.k.a Hibernation).

Thanks suraswami for the suggestion.

Ok. I reset the BIOS to defaults, and S3, and now when I tell the computer to go into standby, it appears to save everything to memory, and then power off. It's like the PC thinks sleep means hibernate.

So, OK. I tried turning off hybrid sleep, and now when I went to sleep, the PC just powered off. And when I tried powering back on, Windows said it was shutdown unexpectedly.

Now I've tried swapping out each pair of 1GB sticks (4 sticks total for 4GB) in all four slots in different configurations. On each time, it displays the same symptoms: When I try to resume, I can hear drives spin up, and the fans will roar to full speed *and stay on full speed*. The screen will remain black, the HD led will not light at all. The power LED remains flashing blue. It will stay like that indefinitely. I have to force power off by holding the power button. So, unless all four sticks of RAM happen to be bad, I doubt this is the culprit.

Any suggestions? S1 sleep mode in the BIOS works fine, although, like you mention, it's not ideal. I can hibernate the PC just fine. I'd like S3 to work, ideally.

Thanks.

I would vote that it is a memory issue.
I had a memory problem that was very elusive.
It also affected sleep mode, mine too.
after trying to figure it out for months Crucial finally swapped them out and the problem is gone.
Try running with ONE stick at a time, in different slots.
U might also verify that the voltage is set right.
I had one set that was 1.8 and another that was 2.0.
not ideal....