• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

sleep

TNTTNT

New Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2009
Messages
73 (0.02/day)
Likes
3
Location
United Kingdom
System Name Barry
Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
Cooling CPU:Coolermaster Hyper 212; Case 2x Akasa 120mm + 2x Xilence 120mm+1 Coolermaster 120mm+1 Hiper 80mm
Memory 4gb Corsair XMS DDR3 1300
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
Storage 2x (Raid 1) Seagate 500GB SATA Hard Drives + 1 Seagate 500GB SATA Hard Drives (Non Raid)
Display(s) Sharp 17" to be upgraded soon
Case Coolermaster CM690
Audio Device(s) On board Sound
Power Supply Corsair TX850W
Software Vista Home Premium 64 bit
#1
Hi, I have built a system for what seems a while back now. Was in the process of building a second less powerful one, when got a small issue with the first.

The systems won't shut down after waking from sleep, and sometimes goes to Blue Screen. I have updated Vista 64 to SP2 and updated graphics driver, but no fix.

I am wondering it is the bios, as I have read the bios has a part in the sleep process. The mobo is a Gigabyte UD5. Are mobo's bios commonly connected in this type of problem?
 

Solaris17

Creator Solaris Utility DVD
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
19,388 (4.27/day)
Likes
6,299
Location
Florida
System Name Venslar
Processor I9 7980XE
Motherboard MSI x299 Tomahawk Arctic
Cooling EKWB L360 R2.0
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4 3000mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1080TI
Storage 2x SG 3TB HDDs (RAID 0) | 1x ADATA 128 SSD (Cache) | 1x Drevo 256 SSD | 1x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO (OS)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q2577PWQ (2k IPS)
Case Inwin 303 White (Thermaltake Ring 120mm Purple accent)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC 1220 on Audio-Technica ATH-AG1
Power Supply Seasonic 1050W Snow
Mouse Roccat Tyon White
Keyboard Ducky Shine 6 Snow White
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
#3
The BIOS can definitely be the issue. See if there is an update, check changelog.
hes right the [ast 4 bios updates for my board have been S3 sleep state fixes.
 

TNTTNT

New Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2009
Messages
73 (0.02/day)
Likes
3
Location
United Kingdom
System Name Barry
Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
Cooling CPU:Coolermaster Hyper 212; Case 2x Akasa 120mm + 2x Xilence 120mm+1 Coolermaster 120mm+1 Hiper 80mm
Memory 4gb Corsair XMS DDR3 1300
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
Storage 2x (Raid 1) Seagate 500GB SATA Hard Drives + 1 Seagate 500GB SATA Hard Drives (Non Raid)
Display(s) Sharp 17" to be upgraded soon
Case Coolermaster CM690
Audio Device(s) On board Sound
Power Supply Corsair TX850W
Software Vista Home Premium 64 bit
#4
Thanks Guy. I updated Bios, Chipset, Lan Driver and Audio driver. Between them this may have fixed the issue. I need to leave it for a few days and monitor.

One thing, when I had to keep restarting the machine after each driver update I noticed that the two DVD rom drives weren't always detected. These are connected to the GSATA posts and about 20% of the time the bios only picked up the Sony drive, and the other 80% both the Sony and LG drives were correctly picked up in the boot by the GSATA controller.

Any of you guys heard of this? It is really wierd as it happens randomly and early in the boot before windows even thinks of starting.