• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SLI Advice, GPU Cooling Advice

System Name Project Neverending
Processor i9 9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus Formula XI
Cooling Corsair HX 150i Pro, Corsair ML 120/QL 120 fans
Memory 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 2080Ti
Storage Samsung 970 Evo NVMe, 2 Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 (3440X1440), Samsung U28D590 (3840X2160)
Case Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX X-Fi, Logitech 5.1 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000i
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Updates coming soon ®
@Hockster that is a beautiful build mate. I still think you would have been better off with a single 1080 ti though. then sell the 1080 ti a month or so before release of 2080 ti, and pop her in. thats my plan anyway, even if it means taking a few hundred dollars loss every year, its what i always do. :D I require ultimate power! ONE PUNCH MAN! GO! Minion Rider Cycles for Justice!
Thanks.
I had one 1080 at launch, way back when prices were sane. Adding a second one was cheaper than going with a Ti when I upgraded my monitor to an ultrawide.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
If you want my advice, stay clear of SLI these days.

- Support is getting much less prevalent, a few years ago that trend started and its not changing
- The mainstream GPUs already lack SLI fingers = it is rapidly becoming a very tiny niche
- Devs don't optimize for tiny niche
- Scaling limitations eliminate most of the cost advantage
- Its extra heat in the case, marginalizing the overclock on the top GPU, which will also reduce the potential of the bottom one
- Pascal is heavily temperature affected as an architecture, so a hot card will directly influence boost clocks in a pretty significant way.
- SLI adds input lag
- SLI adds higher frame time variance
- SLI destroys the perf/watt

System Name Red Cute Pet xD
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus B650E-E ROG Strix
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Acer Predator Vesta II 32GB (16GB * 2) DDR5 6000MT/s CL30-38-38-76
Video Card(s) Yeston GeForce RTX 4060 8GB Cute Pet Edition
Display(s) Acer Predator X35 G-Sync Ultimate
Case Lian-Li O11 Air Mini Black-Mesh
Power Supply Toughpower GF3 1200W Gold - TT Premium Edition
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero wired
VR HMD Nope NOpe NOPE
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Nothing special...Yet.
If you want my advice, stay clear of SLI these days.

- Support is getting much less prevalent, a few years ago that trend started and its not changing
- The mainstream GPUs already lack SLI fingers = it is rapidly becoming a very tiny niche
- Devs don't optimize for tiny niche
- Scaling limitations eliminate most of the cost advantage
- Its extra heat in the case, marginalizing the overclock on the top GPU, which will also reduce the potential of the bottom one
- Pascal is heavily temperature affected as an architecture, so a hot card will directly influence boost clocks in a pretty significant way.
- SLI adds input lag
- SLI adds higher frame time variance

Thanks man, that was so detailed, I wonder why developers still couldn't get round all these difficulties, a game like Witcher 3 almost scaled 90-100% with nVidia cards.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Thanks man, that was so detailed, I wonder why developers still couldn't get round all these difficulties, a game like Witcher 3 almost scaled 90-100% with nVidia cards.

Its never 100% because there is always overhead, and you also lose another 5-10% of the total performance due to lower boost clocks.

But yes, some games can scale really well and the performance you have under the hood at that point is pretty awesome. I just like my gaming hassle free... and from my experience of owning 2x GTX 660 back in the day, it was anything but that. It was hot, it was loud(er), and I did come across several games that didn't get proper support. If you play a wide variety of games, stay FAR away. If all you play is triple-A stuff, then the experience will be a bit better. Another consideration is the balance between VRAM/bandwidth and core power. The latter doubles, but the first does not and without proper frame capping / sync you will have stutter.

If the choice is ever between 'a single top tier card' versus 'two of a lower tier' - always go for the single. If its about adding another GPU after a while because you feel you lack performance, be very wary of your target resolution and whether the VRAM can handle that.

EDIT: since DX12 developers are supposed to add multi GPU support themselves for the most part as well. This doesn't help either... Nor do multiple APIs (we now have Vulkan as well, and DX11 is going to be around for awhile too).

Last edited:
System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
Its never 100% because there is always overhead, and you also lose another 5-10% of the total performance due to lower boost clocks.

But yes, some games can scale really well and the performance you have under the hood at that point is pretty awesome. I just like my gaming hassle free... and from my experience of owning 2x GTX 660 back in the day, it was anything but that. It was hot, it was loud(er), and I did come across several games that didn't get proper support. If you play a wide variety of games, stay FAR away. If all you play is triple-A stuff, then the experience will be a bit better. Another consideration is the balance between VRAM/bandwidth and core power. The latter doubles, but the first does not and without proper frame capping / sync you will have stutter.

If the choice is ever between 'a single top tier card' versus 'two of a lower tier' - always go for the single. If its about adding another GPU after a while because you feel you lack performance, be very wary of your target resolution and whether the VRAM can handle that.

EDIT: since DX12 developers are supposed to add multi GPU support themselves for the most part as well. This doesn't help either... Nor do multiple APIs (we now have Vulkan as well, and DX11 is going to be around for awhile too).

Everyone's experience tends to differ when it comes to SLI/Crossfire.

Personally, based on my past experiences with it and what I see coming down the pipe I have a different appreciation for SLI than you do. I, however, have a similar look at the future of it.

I ran SLI with the following cards over the past dozen years or so:
7600 GT
8800 GTS 640MB
8800 GTS 512MB
GTX 280
GTX 570
GTX 980Ti

Rarely did I run into issues after the 8800 GTS 512 cards. Before that, there were a lot of games that had poor support or just really odd issues that no driver would fix. I don't recall the 3rd party program that I'd have to run and then it would allow a lot of tweaking of settings (kind of what you see when using the Manage 3D Settings in the Nvidia Control Panel these days) to help fix odd issues. One issue I vividly recall when running the 8800GTS cards in SLI was during The Witcher - light sources in the game would brightly shine through walls. Torches or the sun would shine through background drops (trees and such) or through walls in buildings. If I disabled SLI the issue went away. I had to use the 3rd party program to fix the lights bleeding through when SLI was enabled.

Sure, I'd come across a game or two that just wouldn't run with SLI enabled. No big deal, just disable it and be on my way to gaming after about 30 seconds. Some games didn't see performance increase with SLI. Some games didn't utilize SLI. Some games saw great boost in performance with SLI while most games gave a good/decent performance increase under SLI.

Sure, the top card ran hotter - usually 10C on average. And the power draw was higher, but I loved SLI. I could buy one high-end card and usually after 6-8 months later I could pick up a second one at a much cheaper price point. Then I'd have a system that would outperform a single top-tier card or a system that would still provide solid performance if SLI support was lacking or not working (which in my experience was a rarity).

With DX12 on the horizon (let's face it, games aren't flying off the shelf that only support DX12 yet) and having the developer being responsible for enabling multi-gpu support.....I just don't see the developers naturally going this route. Plus with only top-tier/high end cards supporting SLI these days, I don't think most people should worry about going SLI in the future. I believe that the 9xx series was the last series to make good use of SLI.

VR HMD Nope NOpe NOPE
Software Windows 11 Pro
Everyone's experience tends to differ when it comes to SLI/Crossfire.

Personally, based on my past experiences with it and what I see coming down the pipe I have a different appreciation for SLI than you do. I, however, have a similar look at the future of it.

I ran SLI with the following cards over the past dozen years or so:
7600 GT
8800 GTS 640MB
8800 GTS 512MB
GTX 280
GTX 570
GTX 980Ti

Rarely did I run into issues after the 8800 GTS 512 cards. Before that, there were a lot of games that had poor support or just really odd issues that no driver would fix. I don't recall the 3rd party program that I'd have to run and then it would allow a lot of tweaking of settings (kind of what you see when using the Manage 3D Settings in the Nvidia Control Panel these days) to help fix odd issues. One issue I vividly recall when running the 8800GTS cards in SLI was during The Witcher - light sources in the game would brightly shine through walls. Torches or the sun would shine through background drops (trees and such) or through walls in buildings. If I disabled SLI the issue went away. I had to use the 3rd party program to fix the lights bleeding through when SLI was enabled.

Sure, I'd come across a game or two that just wouldn't run with SLI enabled. No big deal, just disable it and be on my way to gaming after about 30 seconds. Some games didn't see performance increase with SLI. Some games didn't utilize SLI. Some games saw great boost in performance with SLI while most games gave a good/decent performance increase under SLI.

Sure, the top card ran hotter - usually 10C on average. And the power draw was higher, but I loved SLI. I could buy one high-end card and usually after 6-8 months later I could pick up a second one at a much cheaper price point. Then I'd have a system that would outperform a single top-tier card or a system that would still provide solid performance if SLI support was lacking or not working (which in my experience was a rarity).

With DX12 on the horizon (let's face it, games aren't flying off the shelf that only support DX12 yet) and having the developer being responsible for enabling multi-gpu support.....I just don't see the developers naturally going this route. Plus with only top-tier/high end cards supporting SLI these days, I don't think most people should worry about going SLI in the future. I believe that the 9xx series was the last series to make good use of SLI.

So there is no point in making a SLI out of a GTX 1080 Ti or Titan Xp for example, right?

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
So there is no point in making a SLI out of a GTX 1080 Ti or Titan Xp for example, right?

It's kind of hard to say. Personally I'd say no unless you have the money to spend or are a firm believer you'll get good use out of the setup. This current gen (10xx series) I'd suggest getting one of the highest card you can afford and playing games within the limits of the card. Once tech moves on or perhaps SLI appears to be getting solid support again, then look into the idea of SLI.

Games coming out in DX9/10/11 are still handled on the driver level for SLI and that falls into Nvidia's lap. Any game that are DX12 (which things are slowly shifting into) are handled on the coding level from the developer. If they don't enable multi-gpu in their game, SLI/Crossfire won't work. Last I looked, 6 months back or so, I think it was only around 8 or 10 games that have multi-gpu support on DX12 titles (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support). I'm not sure how up to date that list is, but that's where I got my info from.

VR HMD Nope NOpe NOPE
Software Windows 11 Pro
Games coming out in DX9/10/11 are still handled on the driver level for SLI and that falls into Nvidia's lap. Any game that are DX12 (which things are slowly shifting into) are handled on the coding level from the developer. If they don't enable multi-gpu in their game, SLI/Crossfire won't work. Last I looked, 6 months back or so, I think it was only around 8 or 10 games that have multi-gpu support on DX12 titles (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support). I'm not sure how up to date that list is, but that's where I got my info from.

so now it's up to the game developers more than before to see an actual gain from SLI or CF?

As indicated above ... something strange has happened with SLI that goes beyond developers and support. Twin 970s were 40% faster than the 1080 for the same price.... the more demanding games ... the ones everyone wanted to play ... were in the 90s with a few breaking 100% in some tests (makes no sense). Average scaling was 70%; when a game didn't support SLI, you were already getting 85 fps so what's the big deal getting 10% more from the 1080 ?. But where one 970 gave you 42 fps and the 1080 and the 48 ... twin 970s was giving you 75 fps in AAA games. So it was there when ya needed it... and when it wasn't there, you didn't need it.

Now with the 10xx series, average scaling is just 18% at 1080p and 33 % at 1440p... and yet oddly enough > 50% at 4k. What's going on ? It's almost as if, recognizing no competition from AMD if the SLI capable price niche, nVidia was trying to set prices and performance such that consumers would no longer see a price / performance advantage w/ SLI.... and the sensible buy would be the higher priced 1080 / 1080 Ti card which generated a larger profit margin than the two x70s.

If AMD can produce a performance / power / price competitive card next generation, ... with the same scaling that we used to see, I wonder if SLI performance will suddenly improve again.

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes

I have one 1080Ti card (MSI GTX-1080Ti Gaming-X Trio) and it doesn't seem to need another. But it's not a stock-clocked card.
Make no mistake, If I had the cash, there would be another one right below it. ;)
I'm waiting for my next two cards (Gigabyte 8GB Gaming G-1 GTX-1070Ti cards) to be delivered to me. They'll go together in my i9-7900X build.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
Well I just got Vermintide 2 this week since it was on sale for 25% off and I heard that it does support SLi. At first when I ran the game SLi didnt work and was only running on one card, but after I updated the Nvidia Drivers SLi was working and it went from Medium settings at 1440P to Extreme settings at 1440P, getting around 40-70FPS, so im pretty happy about that with my SLI GTX970's. Thought id let you know :D

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I too used SLi and CF for yeeeeeeeeeears.

Radeon 4870CF
Radeon 5850CF
Radeon 6970CF
GTX680 SLi
GTX970 SLi

Given the direction that Nvidia and game developers were going with optimising for multi-gpu configs, i decided to drop SLi all together to save compatibility issues with future games. I do miss seeing 2 GPus stacked up next to each other though.

YMMV depending on your setup -- you may run high res or refresh rate monitors so need/want a multi-Gpu config but for an average joe like me, It just wasnt worth pursuing no more.

Currently somewhere around NSW, Australia
System Name hmmm... / lappy (ASUS Scar III)
Processor Intel Core i7-8086K / Intel Core i7-9750H
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XI Formula / ASUS G531GW
Cooling Noctua NH-D15s w/ 2 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM Chromax and 1 x Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM Chromax Fans / Stock
Memory 4x16gb G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3600mhz / 2x16gb Kingston Hyper X Impact DDR4 2666mhz C15
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 TI FTW3 / Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
Storage 2 x Samsung 960 EVO Plus 1tb NVME/ 1tb Intel SSDPEKNW010T8 NVME + 2tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34P / ASUS 15.6" Screen
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2 White-TG + Noctua Chromax Fans / ASUS Scar III Case
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Logitech Z623 / Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W + PROLINK PRO903WS / ASUS ADP-230GB B Power Brick
Mouse Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB / Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB / ASUS Scar III Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Professional x64 / Windows 10 Professional x64
Will a 4790k @ 4.7 bottleneck 2 1080TIs when gaming on an Acer Predator X34P? I'll hang on to the 4790k if I still can but if I need to replace it I will. I was really hoping for the 8086K to be 8C/16T but it's not! :)

System Name Home Brewed
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Generic
Benchmark Scores yes
What's going on ? It's almost as if, recognizing no competition from AMD if the SLI capable price niche, nVidia was trying to set prices and performance such that consumers would no longer see a price / performance advantage w/ SLI....
If AMD can produce a performance / power / price competitive card next generation, ... with the same scaling that we used to see, I wonder if SLI performance will suddenly improve again.

We were getting great SLI performance results with mid-level GPUs from NVIDIA, but they disabled SLI on the low/mid level 10 series cards when they came out. They purposely screwed the market up to force us into spending more money for our fun.
Imagine a pair of GTX-1060 6GB cards in SLI working properly. That's where a hell of a lot of us would have landed. Yet I had to pay more on two of my systems because of their actions.
GTX-1070s and GTX-1070Ti cards run great in SLI. I love them, but 6GB GTX-1060s would have done the deed for much less cash.

As far as responding to AMD's possible innovations, yeah they could crank out a few "special edition" card designs on short notice. They probably have the SLI enabled designs tested and burned-in when/if they need them.
Like Intel two years ago, they're far too comfortable with their dominance.

System Name future xeon II
Processor DUAL SOCKET xeon e5 2686 v3 , 36c/72t, hacked all cores @3.5ghz, TDP limit hacked
Motherboard asrock rack ep2c612 ws
Cooling case fans,liquid corsair h100iv2 x2
Memory 96 gb ddr4 2133mhz gskill+corsair
Video Card(s) 2x 1080 sc acx3 SLI, @STOCK
Storage Hp ex950 2tb nvme+ adata xpg sx8200 pro 1tb nvme+ sata ssd's+ spinners
Display(s) philips 40" bdm4065uc 4k @60
Case silverstone temjin tj07-b
Audio Device(s) sb Z
Power Supply corsair hx1200i
Mouse corsair m95 16 buttons
Keyboard microsoft internet keyboard pro
Software windows 10 x64 1903 ,enterprise
Benchmark Scores fire strike ultra- 10k time spy- 15k cpu z- 400/15000
Will a 4790k @ 4.7 bottleneck 2 1080TIs when gaming on an Acer Predator X34P? I'll hang on to the 4790k if I still can but if I need to replace it I will. I was really hoping for the 8086K to be 8C/16T but it's not! :)

IMHO it will bottleneck them, especially with cpu intensive games, like recent AAA titles. What is your refresh rate and do you game vsynced?

Cooling Noctua NH-D15s w/ 2 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM Chromax and 1 x Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM Chromax Fans / Stock
Memory 4x16gb G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3600mhz / 2x16gb Kingston Hyper X Impact DDR4 2666mhz C15
Storage 2 x Samsung 960 EVO Plus 1tb NVME/ 1tb Intel SSDPEKNW010T8 NVME + 2tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2 White-TG + Noctua Chromax Fans / ASUS Scar III Case
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W + PROLINK PRO903WS / ASUS ADP-230GB B Power Brick
IMHO it will bottleneck them, especially with cpu intensive games, like recent AAA titles. What is your refresh rate and do you game vsynced?
The X34P is 120hz and is a g-sync monitor. The games I currently play are SC2, Civ 5/6, The Witcher 3. After 2 years of mostly working away from home, I've got around a month of free time coming up so I will be buying a few more games. It's my first time using more than 1 GPU and based on what I've read here, it must have been a mistake but I've already got the parts so I'll just see for myself I guess. :D

Processor DUAL SOCKET xeon e5 2686 v3 , 36c/72t, hacked all cores @3.5ghz, TDP limit hacked
Audio Device(s) sb Z
maybe a drop in used replacement for the cpu?

System Name Home Brewed
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Generic
Benchmark Scores yes
Try it out. You're gonna like it

Try it out. You're gonna like it
Will the 4790k bottleneck at 3440×1440 though? Is it a big enough bottleneck that I need to change my mb, cpu, ram?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Will the 4790k bottleneck at 3440×1440 though? Is it a big enough bottleneck that I need to change my mb, cpu, ram?

at that resolution no. your gpu bottleneck will hit first in most games before the cpu matters too much...

Audio Device(s) sb Z
gpu bottleneck at 120hz and sli 1080ti? those cards are beast, need faster cpu

gpu bottleneck at 120hz and sli 1080ti? those cards are beast, need faster cpu
Maybe i I was on a lower res it would be? As the resolution goes up you'll stress the CPU less?

System Name Project Neverending
Processor i9 9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus Formula XI
Cooling Corsair HX 150i Pro, Corsair ML 120/QL 120 fans
Memory 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 2080Ti
Storage Samsung 970 Evo NVMe, 2 Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 (3440X1440), Samsung U28D590 (3840X2160)
Case Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX X-Fi, Logitech 5.1 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000i
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Updates coming soon ®