• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SLI, CrossFire and Multiplayer Games

bud951

System Name Making Love
Processor Intel SandyBridge 2600K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7
Cooling Corsair H70 Liquid Cooler
Memory 8 GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator 1600
Video Card(s) Saphire Radeon 6970 2gb + XFX GeForce 8800GT 512mb Hybrid PhysX
Storage Crucial 128 GB SSD for os and games + WD 2TB for storage
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster T260 LCD 26"
Case Thermaltake Shark Mid Tower (plus Vasoline to make it all fit!)
Audio Device(s) Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX Speakers
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I have two SLI boards, my current rig (780i) and my old DFI SLI-DR which is an NF4 and I was running my two 8800GT's on my old setup and while I got a nice boost in single player games multiplayer actually took a hit. I am guessing due to CPU overhead even though I was running an FX-60 and 2 gb of ram. I havent been able to test my new board in SLI due to a bad SLI bridge which I am waiting on. My questions are, will I have a similar issue with my new rig in SLI? I have moved up to a quad core Q6600 @ 3.2ghz so I am hoping there wont be a problem with SLI on my multiplayer games. Does extra ram say, over 2gb help SLI performance? Does CrossFire handle multiplayer games better than SLI? Is CF or SLI overkill for my monitor which is 1680x1050? I do like to max out my games as much as possible. Thanks in advance.

Sh00t1st

System Name Battlefield 3
Processor Phenom II x3 715 heka unlocked to x4 3.3ghz
Motherboard GIGABYTE ga-ma785g-ud3h
Cooling arctic cooling freezer 64 pro
Memory 4 gig ddr2
Video Card(s) saphire 5770
Storage 60gb mushkin ssd,120 and 160 gig ide
Display(s) 1 19" crt, 2 17" crt
Case 30 dollar gaming case with fan grills removed
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply 450 corsair
Software windows 7
Benchmark Scores Plays battlefield 3 well enough that i was ranked 1st globally in vehicles for november and december
for the simple reason of latency i wouldn't want to use sli or crossfire in multiplayer even if it did perform beter, altho ive always been a fan of latency over speed and performance, because if you can hit them before they hit you, you will always win even if they have a bad ass computer, and if your tricky.