• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SLI with different cards

System Name The Beast
Processor Intel C2Q Xeon X3380 @ 4.275ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-USB3.0
Cooling Corsair H100 with 4x120x120 fans
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2300
Video Card(s) Gainward 2xGTX660ti 3GB OC SLI
Storage OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / WD SATAII 1TB / Seagate Barracuda SATAII 320GB / Maxtor SATAI 120GB
Display(s) Dell 27"
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Mobo's built-in chip
Power Supply CORSAIR HX620W MODULAR
Software Windows 8 Pro X64
Come on guys this can't die like this. No other developer can help? I'm willing to donate!

I am willing to donate a gift card of amazon of 10 dollars some developer, return activate this patch, I know it is nothing but it is my thanks

sergio savala

Can someone please walk me through how to get this to work ? I just bought a gtx 970 ssc and I have a gigabyte 970 g1 windforce. The guy will not refund me my money back. Everyones steps are confusing and I am trying to save myself money. I am running windows 10 x64bit Please tell me what driver to install and what process to go through step by step you can even email me or call me if you pm me.

Also I cannot play certain games with test signing mode on ? like h1z1 or player uknowns battlegrounds because it will not allow it if test signing mode is on ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake Skelly

1. Delete ALL traces of 'differentsliauto' in Regedit (run as admin, CTRL+F 'differentsliauto', F3 and delete every result that pops up) and in "manage user certificates". Both can be found via windows search

2. Open CMD as administrator (windows search): copy and paste the following to make sure it's enabled

bcdedit.exe /set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit.exe /set NOINTEGRITYCHECKS ON
bcdedit.exe /set TESTSIGNING ON

3. DDU uninstall your current driver (google DDU, download the file, extract), then install the 376.60 driver

4. Find nvlddmkm.sys from DriverStore (local disk, Windows, System32, DriverStore, FileRepository); copy and paste it into the differentsli folder (I used Veiker's 1.6). Next, click Patch

5. Make sure UCS (user account control settings) is on zero

6. Reboot into safemode (hold shift, click on restart. Go to advanced, reboot into safemode) then replace the differentsli folder's install file with Veiker's one

7. Edit the install file (right click on install, click edit) and replace the three 'nv_dispi...' lines of text with the corresponding one of your driver. This is the folder's name where you found the nvlddmkm.sys (ex. driver 376.60 is nv_dispi.inf_amd64_5518e59e8d3b48f4) This is where I initially messed up

8. Save the install file, then run it as administrator. Restart when the process has finished

This enabled me to run SLI with my two 660ti's on a motherboard that only supports crossfire. Shoutout to Veiker for the help, and Anatomylik for making this wonderful thing. Also, thanks a bunch Mgi125 :love:

Last edited:

sergio savala

But will that allow me to play games that use like battle eye service anti hacking because the driver is not signed

Jake Skelly

But will that allow me to play games that use like battle eye service anti hacking because the driver is not signed
My instructions are how to get it to work. I am not certain whether one can bypass such services - you'll have to find out by someone else.

sergio savala

Any ideas to find out why my gigabyte g1 GTX 970 and EVGA GTX 970 SSC will just not SLI I've tried different bridges ? Anything else I can try ? It basically says to maximize performance please use a sli connector but it's connected?

System Name https://valid.x86.fr/6t2pb7
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-Gaming 3
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LED DDR4-3000 16GB
Video Card(s) https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b4362/msi-gtx-1080-ti-gaming-x
Storage Western Digital - Black PCIe 256GB SSD + 3x HDD
Display(s) 42" TV @1080p (main) + 32" TV (side)
Case Cooler Master HAF X NV-942
Audio Device(s) Line 6 KB37
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W
Mouse Roccat Kova / Logitech G27 Steering Wheel
Keyboard Roccat Ryos TKL Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803
I just signed up to add something important to the install procedure on Win 10 which prevented my system from loading the modified driver.
I finally, finally managed DifferentSLIAuto to work on my Win 10 install, after having tried according to the instructions countless times in vain.

As it has been mentioned in the previous pages, the install procedure is as follows:
  • <shift>-Restart into Safe Mode
  • DDU your old driver
  • If you have installed old instances of DifferentSLIAuto, remove its certificates using certmgr.msc and its registry keys using Regedit (searching for keys containing 'differentsliauto' and deleting them)
  • Reboot normally and install driver 376.60. No need to reboot yet.
  • Set UAC to the lowest setting in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Security and Maintenance
  • Run cmd.exe as admin and enter:
bcdedit.exe /set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit.exe /set NOINTEGRITYCHECKS ON
bcdedit.exe /set TESTSIGNING ON​
  • Go to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\, sort by date and you'll find a recently created folder named nv_dispi.inf_amd64_5518e59e8d3b48f4.
  • Copy that text into your clipboard and in Veiker's install script 1.6 replace the three instances of nv_dispi.inf_xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
  • Still in that folder (nv_dispi.inf_amd64_5518e59e8d3b48f4), copy nvlddmkm.sys and paste it into your DifferentSLIauto 1.6 directory.
  • Run the patch (DifferentSLIAuto.exe)
  • Run the Install.cmd as admin. You should get a certificate installed and 1 file successfully copied.
  • Reboot normally
So far this has been the known procedure for Win 10.
On my system everything ran smoothly, but no SLI could be activated after reboot, although the 376.60 driver showed up as loaded in device manager.
Took me several retries without success, until it dawned on me that Win 10 still must be loading the unmodified version of the driver.
A file search confirmed what I suspected: My system was not using the nvlddmkm.sys in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_5518e59e8d3b48f4\, but another one which I found in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\.

Therefore the last three lines in above install instruction need to be replaced by:
  • Run the Install.cmd as admin. You should get a certificate installed and 1 file successfully copied.
  • Copy nvlddmkm.sys in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_5518e59e8d3b48f4\ to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ and replace the existing one.
  • Reboot normally
Seems like several people had success with the old method. I didn't and maybe there's people out there, which also have had no luck.
So I hope my findings are useful for somebody!

I must rest now...

ClaudesTech

Hi guys, I'm using an AsRock Z77Pro4M
I succesfully used the differentsli patch with an old driver, but due to the needing of using test mode that kills most online games...
I am trying to do it in a cleaner way, I was able to inject a patched DSDT with a certification from a SLI enabled mobo (same manufacturer Asrock and same chipset Z77) on Windows 10 using clover bootloader and using aida64 I can see the certificate for sli, and it seems enabled, but the nvidia control panel is still missing the sli tab...
Maybe I need to do something else...
I took a look on this huge thread, but's not easy finding stuff.
Maybe it's hal.dll? don't know... but for what I understood it should just be modded if the certificate is different (for a different chipset)...
Hope someone can help, I would really not like to buy a new mobo just because of the stupid nvidia certification thing...

Thanks for any kind of help!

Just an educated guess, but to enable the SLI option in nVidia control panel you need more than just the SLI certification in DSDT.
I think the driver also checks whether the PCIe slots used have at least a link width of x8.
You should be able to see these in nVidia control panel under System Information, then scroll down and read the 'Bus' entry.

One thing I know for sure is that the driver does not take the actual link width into consideration but uses some mainboard info for that.
Due to a bent pin inside my 2nd PCIe slot, I recently killed some PCIe lanes on one of my cards. I've been left with a link width of x4 on that card, still the unmodified driver had the SLI option enabled (nVidia System Info still showed x16, while GPU-Z showed x4). Definitely relies on that system info, not on actual link width.
Maybe this could be useful for you, maybe you can modify that info to make your mobo work...?

BTW, my 2nd PCIe slot died a bit later so I had to put that card into my 3rd slot (x4) and resort to DifferentSLIAuto, since the SLI option was no longer available in nVidia control panel.

Last edited:

ClaudesTech

Oh, thanks for the reply!
I took a look on GPUZ and it seems that my cards are both using a 16x bus, a 3.0 on the first and a 2.0 on the second one!
So, that should be not whats causing the driver not to work...
Any other tip?

Specs of your board from the website:
- 1 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot (PCIE1: x16 mode)
- 2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (PCIE3: x1 mode; PCIE4: x4 mode)
- 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 slot

So no, you only have one slot capable of x16 (or x8 at minimum). the others are too slow for SLI (officially).
What your GPU-Z info referes to is the size of the slot, not the link width.

You need to look up that info in nVidia System Info under 'Bus'.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Specs of your board from the website:
- 1 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot (PCIE1: x16 mode)
- 2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (PCIE3: x1 mode; PCIE4: x4 mode)
- 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 slot

What your GPU-Z info referes to is the size of the slot, not the link width.
I'm pretty sure it shows all the info, slot size, gen and speed.

ClaudesTech

oh ok...
The bus speed recognized by the nvidia panel is 1x XD
But could be caused by the fact that I'm using the modded driver... don't know

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
oh ok...
The bus speed recognized by the nvidia panel is 1x XD
But could be caused by the fact that I'm using the modded driver... don't know
Or it's in slot 3 and should be moved down to slot 4

ClaudesTech

sadly my sli bridge does not permits me to try :p
Btw performance wise, with the patched driver it's working preety well so...
Do you think is that that causing the panel not to work just with DSDT certicate?
Is there a way to make a workaround for this?

edit:
yes, from the mobo manual, the slots that should be used are 1st and 4th, and I'm using 1st and third...
Preety dumb... but right now I can't do much...

Just to enable SLI (or to check whether the detection is working) you don't need a bridge at all.
What the bridge does is offloading a lot of traffic from the PCIe bus, which is even more important once you only have x4.

And from my experience with my x4 limited card, using only x1 will in most cases negate all the benefits from SLI. Probably negative scaling in too many cases. You will have to watch bus usage very carefully using the graphs in GPU-Z or nVidia Inspector.
A good tool to test this is Star Swarm Stress Test, which puts quite a heavy load on the bus:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/267130/Star_Swarm_Stress_Test/
(I'm not quite sure whether it supports SLI, if not you have to test each card individually and compare the results)

To make the unmodified driver enabling the SLI option, IMO you'd need to somehow modify that info about the reported link width in the System Info.
I don't know how to do that, however...

Last edited:

ClaudesTech

Ok, thanks for your help guys...
Right now I tried the cards on the right slots (16 & 4) without the bridge and with the differentsli patched driver, no sli option avaiable...
For what I've seen, the card works pretty well even if it's on a 1x slot, maybe the HB bridge is doing all the heavy stuff, but I see a big improvement on SLI supported games!
I'd like to make it work without the patched driver even if it's a 1x slot... I should check if I find something about tricking recognized data about the BUS, if you have any idea, please let me know!

P.s.
I know that a new mobo would be the best choice to get all the juice out of these gpus....

System Name The Beast
Processor Intel C2Q Xeon X3380 @ 4.275ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-USB3.0
Cooling Corsair H100 with 4x120x120 fans
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2300
Video Card(s) Gainward 2xGTX660ti 3GB OC SLI
Storage OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / WD SATAII 1TB / Seagate Barracuda SATAII 320GB / Maxtor SATAI 120GB
Display(s) Dell 27"
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Mobo's built-in chip
Power Supply CORSAIR HX620W MODULAR
Software Windows 8 Pro X64
Unfortunately i think it's dead.. Mgi is gone and no other developer is working on it.. I also hope someone restarts development..