• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SLI with different cards

benhonda03

So for installing 417.71 I need to change the offset and it initialy the same procedure? I have 388.71working right now .

One-Knee-Toe

So for installing 417.71 I need to change the offset and it initialy the same procedure? I have 388.71working right now .
If you want to install a newer driver, I would recommend follwoing all the same steps per the instructions, there really is no short-cut.

System Name The Blind Grim Reaper
Processor Xeon X5675 Westmere-EP B1 SLBYL 4.20ghz @ 1.256v
Motherboard Asus P6X58D-E
Cooling Noctua CP12 SE14, Redux Noctua 1500rpm fan Arctic F14 x3 for intake and exhaust
Memory Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 x6
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Single Fan Model
Storage Crucial mx300 750gb main system + 1TB mx500 for games and music
Display(s) 22 inch samsung curved
Case NZXT Phantom 530 black
Audio Device(s) Nvidia HDMI through HDMI adaptor for output sound for turtlebeach x12 headset
Power Supply Antec HCG 850 watt
Mouse no brand
Keyboard normal usb keyboard
Software Windows 10 22H2 v1 (main is) and Windows 11 22H2 v2 on WD 250gb 7200rpm (testing purposes os)
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 = 2046cb
Ah i see so the offset have to be set everytime after the install does it be the same offset very time or different value?

One-Knee-Toe

Ah i see so the offset have to be set everytime after the install does it be the same offset very time or different value?
I have not been around long enough to know for sure, but the offset did change between the last two version of the NVIDIA driver. So search the thread for the version of the driver you need.

System Name The Blind Grim Reaper
Processor Xeon X5675 Westmere-EP B1 SLBYL 4.20ghz @ 1.256v
Motherboard Asus P6X58D-E
Cooling Noctua CP12 SE14, Redux Noctua 1500rpm fan Arctic F14 x3 for intake and exhaust
Memory Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 x6
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Single Fan Model
Storage Crucial mx300 750gb main system + 1TB mx500 for games and music
Display(s) 22 inch samsung curved
Case NZXT Phantom 530 black
Audio Device(s) Nvidia HDMI through HDMI adaptor for output sound for turtlebeach x12 headset
Power Supply Antec HCG 850 watt
Mouse no brand
Keyboard normal usb keyboard
Software Windows 10 22H2 v1 (main is) and Windows 11 22H2 v2 on WD 250gb 7200rpm (testing purposes os)
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 = 2046cb
Ah right as im not running dual graphic card was only asking about the offset part that all :)

System Name https://valid.x86.fr/6t2pb7
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-Gaming 3
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LED DDR4-3000 16GB
Video Card(s) https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b4362/msi-gtx-1080-ti-gaming-x
Storage Western Digital - Black PCIe 256GB SSD + 3x HDD
Display(s) 42" TV @1080p (main) + 32" TV (side)
Case Cooler Master HAF X NV-942
Audio Device(s) Line 6 KB37
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W
Mouse Roccat Kova / Logitech G27 Steering Wheel
Keyboard Roccat Ryos TKL Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803
To summarize the new way of patching (4.xx driver generation) in one single post:
  • The install procedure for Windows 10 is still the same as outlined in this post (start reading below the video):
    https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/sli-with-different-cards.158907/post-3968942
  • Except that for patching nvlddmkm.sys you no longer use DifferentSLIauto.exe, but have to modify a series of bytes using a hex editor:
    From address 00000000002BB52F onwards change '75 05 0F BA 6B 24 0E' to 'C7 43 24 00 00 00 00' (valid for 417.35 and 417.71)
  • This new patch does no longer allow for SLIing different cards. Instead of 'SLI with different cards' you might call it now 'SLI on any MoBo'
Thanks to Pretentious for opening up this new way for patching the current generation of drivers!

Tumanvik

Hello guys, first I would like to say thank you for the great job you are doing here!

I am new at this forum and after mining death I have some 1060 GPU left, so I would like co SLI it together (they are the same).

But yesterday after few hours the only result I got is dead windows. I rebooted in safe mode without network (mistake) and after copeing nv***.sys into DriverStore and using Install.cmd I restarted my PC and windows was dead, now I need to recover it somehow, probably I will need to reinstall windows =( Probably I am too thick-headed for this task, so mb you could help me.

Except that for patching nvlddmkm.sys you no longer use DifferentSLIauto.exe
Does it mean that I still need to use DifferentSLIauto.exe to patch nvlddmkm.sys? But there is no version of DifferentSLIauto for 417.71, so how is it possible?

So I did not use DifferentSLIauto at all. I've copied this nv***.sys file and opened it in hex editor. The problem was I had completely different numbers on the address you entered (tried both 417.35 and 417.71). Is it normal? I changed them anyway to numbers you wrote, but it ended as I wrote. Am I doing smth wrong?

Hope you can help me...

PS What exactly does it mean?
This new patch does no longer allow for SLIing different cards. Instead of 'SLI with different cards' you might call it now 'SLI on any MoBo'
I have same cards (1060 3g) which don't support SLI. Can I still SLI them?

\\ EDIT

I reinstalled the windows and started from the beginning. I did everything right (still numbers in nv***.sys were different). Now I rebooted normally, driver is installed, I have invidia panel, but I don't have SLI option there. Any ideas? I guess my problem is very simillar marcipan666, driver is there, it is signed, but no SLI option in panel. So I guess it is not possible to SLI 1060...

Last edited:

One-Knee-Toe

No. SLI is a physical feature of the GPUs. Either the GPU has it or it doesn't. And if you said the GPU doesn't, then you don't have it. you cannot turn it on.

No. SLI is a physical feature of the GPUs. Either the GPU has it or it doesn't. And if you said the GPU doesn't, then you don't have it. you cannot turn it on.

Don"t know if modding the newer drivers with the newer offsets will enable SLI on cards that don't officially support it or not. Perhaps the newer mods here doesn't disable the check for the SLI bridge. Who knows? However, you could definitely enable SLI on cards like the 1060 and GTX 750ti with the older drivers and DSLIA. If you search through the thread, you'll see there were people who did. There are also videos on youtube that confirm it . The thing is, though, that on those cards, it will use the PCIe bus instead of the bridge, since those cards don't have the connections for the bridge. So, it may not scale as well as you'd like and you may run into PCIe bandwidth bottlenecks.

As for the driver signing issue, has anyone tried self signing the resulting modified driver and adding the trusted cert to their system as described on this page?
http://woshub.com/how-to-sign-an-unsigned-driver-for-windows-7-x64/

Would this bypass the need to run the system in test mode? I apologize if this was already mentioned and I missed it.

Processor 2x Intel Xeon E5-2680 v2
Motherboard ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z9PE-D8 WS
Memory SAMSUNG DDR3-1600MHz ECC 128GB
Video Card(s) 2x ASUS GEFORCE® GTX 1080 TI 11GB TURBO
Display(s) SAMSUNG 32" UJ590 UHD 4k QLED
Case Carbide Series™ Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case
Power Supply EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular
Mouse MX MASTER 2S
Keyboard Azio Mk Mac Wired USB Backlit Mechanical Keyboard
Software Ubuntu 18.04 / [KVM - Windows 10 1809 / OSX 10.14]
Don"t know if modding the newer drivers with the newer offsets will enable SLI on cards that don't officially support it or not. Perhaps the newer mods here doesn't disable the check for the SLI bridge. Who knows? However, you could definitely enable SLI on cards like the 1060 and GTX 750ti with the older drivers and DSLIA. If you search through the thread, you'll see there were people who did. There are also videos on youtube that confirm it . The thing is, though, that on those cards, it will use the PCIe bus instead of the bridge, since those cards don't have the connections for the bridge. So, it may not scale as well as you'd like and you may run into PCIe bandwidth bottlenecks.

As for the driver signing issue, has anyone tried self signing the resulting modified driver and adding the trusted cert to their system as described on this page?
http://woshub.com/how-to-sign-an-unsigned-driver-for-windows-7-x64/

Would this bypass the need to run the system in test mode? I apologize if this was already mentioned and I missed it.

1 - DifferentSLIauto patched 3 different routines in the driver whereas I have only shared offsets to the call that enables SLI on any motherboard. With that being said, I believe someone successfully SLI'ed two different GPU's using the offsets I shared (or perhaps I misunderstood what the user said; it was a couple of pages ago).
Point being that you are correct and it could very well be that the 2 remaining functions are the ones that would allow you to use the PCI-E slot for SLI communication in non supported GPU's.

2 - That trick worked on Windows 7 but I can confirm it no longer works on Windows 10 (DifferentAutoSLI already signed the driver and installed the self signed root cert).

3 - This is a recurring question and the answer is unfortunately no. There are two ways to go about it:
A) Buy a certificate to sign the drive (or find a leaked one online) - Costs around $400+, requires you to show your I.D and takes a couple of weeks/month in order to complete the entire process.
B) Get your hands dirty and use something like UPGDSED to either prevent anti-cheat software from detecting that you are in test-mode or forcing Windows to load the NVIDIA drivers even though its not digitally signed.

I have tried both using a valid certificate and patching my own kernel and I can confirm that either option does work.

Except that for patching nvlddmkm.sys you no longer use DifferentSLIauto.exe, but
Does it mean that I still need to use DifferentSLIauto.exe to patch nvlddmkm.sys? But there is no version of DifferentSLIauto for 417.71, so how is it possible?
No, it means the contrary. The difference between the old procedure and the new one is that you modify nvlddmkm.sys using a hex editor instead of patching it using the EXE.
...and after copeing nv***.sys into DriverStore and using Install.cmd...
Where did you get that from? You clearly didn't follow the instructions.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/sli-with-different-cards.158907/post-3983666
So I did not use DifferentSLIauto at all. I've copied this nv***.sys file and opened it in hex editor. The problem was I had completely different numbers on the address you entered (tried both 417.35 and 417.71). Is it normal? I changed them anyway to numbers you wrote, but it ended as I wrote. Am I doing smth wrong?
Since you obviously didn't follow the instructions, you probably missed to find the correct nvlddmkm.sys and edited the wrong one.
Or you're using Windows 7 and failed to mention that. The 4.xx patch locations are for Win 10 drivers.
You definitely could using the classic patch with the 388.71 driver and have a good chance for SLIing even cards without a bridge.
With the new method it's not confirmed whether that will work or not, see post from Pretentious.

Last edited:
System Name VFX RIG
Processor Dual Xeon E5 2686v3 18c 36T @ 3.67Ghz turbo unlocked
Motherboard Asus Z10PE-D16 WS
Cooling Corsair H45 + Corsair H115i
Memory 6x 16 GB Samsung DDR4 ECC REG 2133Mhz
Video Card(s) 1*Zotac GTX 1080 Amp Extreme, 4* Zotac 1050ti OC
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB Nvme + 850 Evo 250 GB
Display(s) LG D2342P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Creative
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Trinity , Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Tecknet Backlight Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 :- 5225CB Cinebench R20 :- 10560CB
Hi, guys I just logged-in here today. I am following this thread from 2017.
I tried 3way SLI on 3x 1050ti and It works on latest 417.71 drivers too.
Sorry, I forgot to take screenshots for proof, i never thought i'll need it. I will soon upload here later when i do that experiment again. But scaling between 3 gpus were 90-92%.
I was using 6850K which has 40 lanes, GPUs were using 16lane+16lane+8lanes.
When using these 3 gpus at 8x lane each (24lanes), there was 20-22% performance loss.
My zotac gtx 1080 amp extreme (2100mhz oc) gets 115FPS average on Unigine valley Extreme HD preset (1080p, 8X AA).
Triple 1050ti (1922-1987mhz OC) were getting 100-102 FPS average on same benchmark.

This time you dont have to use DSLIA, you just need to hex edit nv***.sys file according to driver version, and run install cmd in safe mode. Test signing must be enabled to load drivers.
I you have doubts that same will work with other GPUs too, then yes It will work with GPUs like 1060 3GB, 1060 6GB. but you must have a X79/ X99 (40pci lanes)/ Threadripper (64 pci lanes) rig to get benefits of sli. Gaming CPUs like 7700k, 8700k, 9900k, ryzens dont have more than 16-20 usable PCI lanes.

Special thanks to @
P!nkpanther
and @
Pretentious
and others .

If you need any help regarding this, then let me know guys.

Last edited:

Tumanvik

Where did you get that from? You clearly didn't follow the instructions.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/sli-with-different-cards.158907/post-3983666

Since you obviously didn't follow the instructions, you probably missed to find the correct nvlddmkm.sys and edited the wrong one.
Or you're using Windows 7 and failed to mention that. The 4.xx patch locations are for Win 10 drivers.

You definitely could using the classic patch with the 388.71 driver and have a good chance for SLIing even cards without a bridge.
With the new method it's not confirmed whether that will work or not, see post from Pretentious.
Yes, I did it wrong for the first time (I copied the nvlddmkm.sys manually), but anyway I am sure that was correct one (checked this in the device manager and in system32 folder and it's subfolders I have only one nvlddmkm.sys).

Now I am sure I am doing it right, but it doesn't work anyway. I am using Win 10. I tried more versions: 388.13 and 388.71 with classical way, 417.35 and 417.71 with new way, everything went well, no errors, Install.cmd created cert and copied file etc, but I get the same result... no SLI option in nvidia panel =((

My nvlddmkm.sys for 417.71 driver:

Attachments

• nvlddmkmsyspic.PNG
    nvlddmkmsyspic.PNG
    30.1 KB · Views: 887
Last edited:
System Name VFX RIG
Display(s) LG D2342P
Audio Device(s) Creative
Software Windows 10
Yes, I did it wrong for the first time (I copied the nvlddmkm.sys manually), but anyway I am sure that was correct one (checked this in the device manager and in system32 folder and it's subfolders I have only one nvlddmkm.sys).

Now I am sure I am doing it right, but it doesn't work anyway. I am using Win 10. I tried more versions: 388.13 and 388.71 with classical way, 417.35 and 417.71 with new way, everything went well, no errors, Install.cmd created cert and copied file etc, but I get the same result... no SLI option in nvidia panel =((

My nvlddmkm.sys for 417.71 driver:

Four simple Steps:-
This time you dont have to use DSLIA, you just need to hex edit nv***.sys file according to driver version, and run install cmd in safe mode. Test signing must be enabled to load drivers.

1. Use DDU

2. Use the following in CMD (admin):-
bcdedit.exe /set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit.exe /set NOINTEGRITYCHECKS ON
bcdedit.exe /set TESTSIGNING ON

3. Hex edit nvlddmkm.sys for 417.71 drivers.

4. Modify install.cmd file according to your drivers, then reboot into safe mode and run this file as admin.

5. as soon as you reboot into normal mode, You'll get notification in lower right side of screen that, SLI capable GPUs are installed.

Note:- If your GPUs are connected at PCIE 3.0 X4 (4GB/s) or PCIE 2.0 X8 (4GB/s) lanes, then it will never work on SLI or Crossfire (Won't even show up in drivers). Minimum 8GB/s bandwidth is required for SLI.
Minimum requirement is PCIE 3.0 X8 (8GB/s) or PCIE 2.0 X16 (8GB/s) lanes

Tumanvik

Four simple Steps:-

1. Use DDU

2. Use the following in CMD (admin):-
bcdedit.exe /set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit.exe /set NOINTEGRITYCHECKS ON
bcdedit.exe /set TESTSIGNING ON

3. Hex edit nvlddmkm.sys for 417.71 drivers.

4. Modify install.cmd file according to your drivers, then reboot into safe mode and run this file as admin.

5. as soon as you reboot into normal mode, You'll get notification in lower right side of screen that, SLI capable GPUs are installed.

Note:- If your GPUs are connected at PCIE 3.0 X4 (4GB/s) or PCIE 2.0 X8 (4GB/s) lanes, then it will never work on SLI or Crossfire (Won't even show up in drivers). Minimum 8GB/s bandwidth is required for SLI.
Minimum requirement is PCIE 3.0 X8 (8GB/s) or PCIE 2.0 X16 (8GB/s) lanes
Did it exactly in the way you said, but I did not have such notification. The last think I can do is completely reinstall the windows and try from clean system.

PS I have MSI X470 gaming plus https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X470-GAMING-PLUS/Specification, so I guess it fulfills this requirement...

I think the problem is that he's not finding the correct byte sequence he's supposed to replace at that location of the 4.xx driver sys.
Something is different about his nVidia driver installation. EDIT: See last part of this post below!

But at least the old method using 1.7.1. and 388.71 should work. If not, then right-click the active nvlddmkm.sys -> Properties and check whether the certificate is linked to DifferentSLIauto.

EDIT: If you haven't activated test signing mode (this is obviously the case, since you have no Test Mode notification) and still get the nVidia driver loaded on boot, then you definitely run an unpatched driver. This means that you're not installing the patched driver correctly.
The patched nvlddmkm.sys has to be in the same directory as install.cmd when you run it.

=========================================================================

OK, I found out one part of the problem (regarding patching the 417.71 driver):
In my post where I outlined the install procedure, the offsets listed are only valid for the 417.35 driver, NOT for version 417.71
Sorry about that!

It should read:
For 417.35: From address 002BB52F onwards change '75 05 0F BA 6B 24 0E' to 'C7 43 24 00 00 00 00'
For 417.71: From address 002BBFCF onwards change '75 05 0F BA 6B 24 0E' to 'C7 43 24 00 00 00 00'

Too bad the forum policy does not allow for edits after some days, so I will make another summary post soon.

Last edited:

Tumanvik

I think the problem is that he's not finding the correct byte sequence he's supposed to replace at that location of the driver sys.
Something is different about his nVidia driver installation.
Maybe you are right.
  1. I download driver from nvidia website.
  2. In safe mode I uninstall driver with DDU.
  3. I use clean install for downloaded driver (without geforce experience).
  4. I have only one folder with driver (nv_dispi.inf_amd64_5db32447b43ce666) so I copy nvlddmkm.sys from this nv_dispi*** into folder with Install.cmd.
  5. I hex edit this file:
    1. Open file in HxD
    2. Use "Go to" to find address 00000000002BB52F
    3. Edit byte sequence as Pretentious suggest. Here is the problem, that I have different original numbers there!
  6. I edit Install.cmd (change folder name). Btw every time I change it, I check that driver is using this folder as a driver (in device manager)
  7. I use 3 cmd commands
  8. I turn off UAC
  9. I reboot in safe mode with networking and use Install.cmd as administrator
  10. I reboot in normal mode: test mode is ON, driver is installed, in device manager I see my edited nvlddmkm.sys as unsigned.
  11. There is NO any notifications and no sli option in the panel...
When I tried to do this with 3** driver, instead of hex-editing I used DSLIA.exe to patch the file and patching was successfull.

Edit:
EDIT: If you haven't activated test signing mode (this is obviously the case, since you have no Test Mode notification) and still get the nVidia driver loaded on boot, then you definitely run an unpatched driver. This means that you're not installing the patched driver correctly.
Sorry, I said I did not have notifications, but I meant notifications about SLI:
You'll get notification in lower right side of screen that, SLI capable GPUs are installed.
Test signing mode is activated.

System Name VFX RIG
Display(s) LG D2342P
Audio Device(s) Creative
Software Windows 10

Attachments

• Install cmd.zip
    1 KB · Views: 230
System Name VFX RIG
Display(s) LG D2342P
Audio Device(s) Creative
Software Windows 10
Did it exactly in the way you said, but I did not have such notification. The last think I can do is completely reinstall the windows and try from clean system.

PS I have MSI X470 gaming plus https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X470-GAMING-PLUS/Specification, so I guess it fulfills this requirement...
What CPU you're using ?
What GPU you intend to SLI.
I checked your motherboard manual, it says 2 GPUs must be installed in PCIE_E1 and PCIE_E4 slots only, they will run at PCIE 3.0x8 each.

Attachments

• test.PNG
    test.PNG
    120 KB · Views: 424

Tumanvik

What CPU you're using ?
What GPU you intend to SLI.
I checked your motherboard manual, it says 2 GPUs must be installed in PCIE_E1 and PCIE_E4 slots only, they will run at PCIE 3.0x8 each.
I have ryzen 5 2600 CPU and 2x Inno3d 1060 3gb http://www.inno3d.com/products_detail.php?refid=269

Cards are installed in the right sockets...

PS thank you very much for trying to help me, I hope it will end with some satisfactory result...

@Tumanvik
Thanks for listing all steps you have taken. This allows us to have a better picture of the problem.

Everything you did is correct so far. I addressed the fact that you found different bytes to edit than expected in the last edit of my post above.
That was an oversight on my part that 417.71 has different offsets from 417.35.

1060 users in the past have had different results using the patch. Some got it working, others not.
It wasn't clear why.

The things topmysteries5 mentioned (different slots in MoBo having different bandwidths and thus may disable SLI) are a real possibility.

Last edited:

Tumanvik

@Tumanvik
Thanks for listing all steps you have taken. This allows us to have a better picture of the problem.

Everything you did is correct so far. I addressed the fact that you found different bytes to edit than expected in the last edit of my post above.
That was an oversight on my part that 417.71 has different offsets from 417.35.

1060 users in the past have had different results using the patch. Some got it working, others not.
It wasn't clear why.

The things topmysteries5 mentioned (different slots in MoBo having different bandwidths) are a real possibility.

I've tried nvlddmkm.sys and Install.cmd which you gave me (did not edited them anyhow), the result is the same... Some pictures in the attachment.

BTW When I use Install.cmd there is a strange row there:
CertUtil: -store команда НЕ ВЫПОЛНЕНА: 0x80090011 (-2146893807 NTE_NOT_FOUND)
CertUtil: Объект не найден.
Succeeded
CertMgr Succeeded

which means:
CertUtil: -store commad is NOT PERFORMED: 0x80090011 (-2146893807 NTE_NOT_FOUND)
CertUtil: Object is not found.

Does it mean anything?
Безымянный.png
1.PNG2.PNG

System Name VFX RIG
Display(s) LG D2342P
Audio Device(s) Creative
Software Windows 10
Hello, guys I did this SLI experiment once again, and here I present the benchmark results.
Here is Benchmark result of Single 1050ti, without SLI. GPU working in PCIE 3.0x16 lanes. Extreme HD preset was used which includes 8X AA.

Single 1050Ti.png

Here is results of Dual GTX 1050ti in SLI, @ PCIE 3.0x16 lanes each. (total 32)
Motherboard used was Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5P,
Xeon E5 2686v3 18 cores, (40pcie lanes)
4x8GB 3200Mhz DDR4.

Dual SLI.pngDual SLI-2.pngDual 1050Ti.png

Here is results of Quad GTX 1050ti in SLI, @ PCIE 3.0x16+8+8+8 lanes (total 40).

Quad SLI.pngDriver Version.png

Quad 1050ti.png

Disabling 8X Anti Aliasing get another 25-30 FPS in 4 way SLI.
Quad 1050ti Without AA.png

As you all can see Scaling is 88-92% in 2 way SLI @ x16 lanes.
3 way SLI has around 85%
and in 4 way SLI scaling is around 60-65% only. This makes 4 way SLI useless.
FPS can be more higher if 40 lanes higher GHz CPU is used like i9 7900x,
my xeon was running @ 3.67Ghz turbo during benchmark