1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Slight static from HDMI?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Tekelectric, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Tekelectric

Thanks Received:
    So I recently returned my RX 480 since it was faulty and I have my old GTX 650 ti inside my computer now. But now that I'm using HDMI input, there's a slight static on the picture for some reason. I've tried reseating the card, unplugging cables from both ends, etc. What could be causing this? I'm using a switch that allows me to switch between my PS4 and my PC so I don't know if this could be the problem even though I've had it for quite awhile now.

2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    Could be. Change cables or get it off the switch and see. Hdmi is such a horrible connectivity std.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Tekelectric

Thanks Received:
    Okay I just got a new RX 480 and I'm using Displayport but I still see a slight static on the screen. What could be interfering with it?

4. eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Could be that monitor going bad.

FordGT90Concept says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Tekelectric

Thanks Received:
    But I just bought this monitor it's a new ASUS MG248Q, how could it already be going bad?

6. GeoDragon

Thanks Received:
    What was faulty about the RX480? That could have messed up the PCIE port. I had a similar problem with this a long time ago with a 9500gt and ended up having to replace the board as well.

7. eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Well try it on another rig and get back to us to verify. If it does it on that one then you have a Piece of Trash.

Welcome to the world of Electronics
    Out of so many units when manufactured you will have a certain percent that are not meant to last and will fail. Some fail right out of the box, some last a few months, some fail 10-40 years from now.

I'm on a 290 with display port adapter going to a NEC Multisync LCD 1700V from 2001 on VGA.

qubit says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I have a practically new 4k monitor at work that has slight issues with the picture and brightness. Hardware being defective is not a new thing and can happen to anyone. Simply put, YMMV. The thing with digital signals like HDMI and DisplayPort is that if there is enough interference to disrupt the picture, the picture will usually just cut out. I actually have a DP 1.1 cable at work that I tried to run DP 1.2 over and it would constantly cut out where the solution was to use a better cable rated for DP 1.2.

If I were the op, I would be suspecting the display at this point.
    upload_2017-1-12_15-56-18.png

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    eidairaman1 says thanks.
  9. Vya Domus

Vya Domus

Thanks Received:
    You said you have your PS4 hooked up to the same monitor through a switch , you didn't mention how does that look when you connect it directly , that could easily pinpoint to the monitor being the problem since having 2 cards with bad video outputs would be highly unlikely. Could also be some sort of grounding issue somewhere.

10. Tekelectric

Thanks Received:
    The problem seems to have resolved itself somehow when I started unplugging things and putting it back together. I don't really understand what happened, but I guess it worked out?

11. eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Bad connector seating, might of needed a power rest too. Glad you resolved it.

10 Year Member at TPU