1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Small upgrade - Intel i5 3570k to i7 3770k

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by BaRRoS, May 15, 2017.

1. BaRRoS

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,

Need a small advice.
    I have an 3570k @4.5 and I can get a 3770k for 120€ (dont know the OC limit).
    Is it worth it?

2. alucasa

Thanks Received:
    Short answer: No.
    Long answer: Most likely no if you had to ask.

3. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie PC Gaming Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    It's not much of an upgrade at all. Sure you get HT, but it may possibly not OC as high. If it's for gaming, just stick with the 3570k. If you absolutely have work that requires the extra threads for computing power, then maybe. At this point I still wouldn't do it, though.

biffzinker says thanks.
  4. Rob4642

Rob4642

Thanks Received:
    You wouldn't notice much of a difference from your processor to a 4790k either. That's what I use and I can't really tell a difference to a 7700k even with ddr4. There was something like 128 intel 4th generation processors. Honestly, if it weren't for socket types, I would venture to guess a lot of the cpu's are actually the same underneath, just changed parameters like with the pentium 4 era.

peche says thanks.
  5. Rehmanpa

Thanks Received:
    Not for 120 euros. If you could get one for 75 or 80, then it might be, but not for 120. Save your money for ryzen, that's where it's at imo.

6. Komshija

Komshija

Thanks Received:
    Simple answer - no.

7. droopyRO

droopyRO

Thanks Received:
    I would say no too, last weekend i played around with Hyper Threading on my 3770K@4.3Ghz, not much of a difference in Mankind Divided, Total War Warhammer or Metro Redux a difference of about 2-3 fps at most in the in game benchmarks.
    Next upgrade will be a Ryzen 1600 save your money for that, i do :)

8. P4-630

P4-630 The Way It's Meant to be Played

Thanks Received:
    If you happen to play lot's of GTA V, which can use all 8 threads, I'd say yes.
    If you play mostly games that use 4 cores or less then the 4 extra threads don't make any difference, so no.

Countryside and eidairaman1 say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Rehmanpa

Thanks Received:
    Sell ur current system and buy ryzen

10. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    i think he's looking to UPgrade ;)

dorsetknob, peche and eidairaman1 say thanks.
  11. MrGenius

MrGenius

Thanks Received:
    For that price I definitely would do it. I wish I could find one that cheap. :(

12. Vya Domus

Vya Domus

Thanks Received:
    In most games you will get less stutter , other than that not much else. There are a handful of games that do make good use of more threads such as Crysis 3 where the difference is noticeable , however if you are talking about the PC in your specs you will certainly be GPU limited most of the time.

So for 130 euro not worth it in my opinion.

13. Estaric

Estaric

Thanks Received:
    I honestly don't think it would be much of an upgrade. I honestly don't think your cpu would be that big of a bottleneck.

14. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    Its easier to max his rig out with an ivb or a xeon for 1155 than change all parts out at the moment

MrGenius says thanks.
  15. Smanci

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely yes. It's basically a free upgrade after selling the 3570K and will be clearly ahead IF you play certain recent titles.

MrGenius says thanks.
  16. Estaric

Estaric

Thanks Received:
    If I may ask, what recent titles will he see more than maybe 5-6fps increase?

17. alucasa

Thanks Received:
    I think there is a mind game called "Ego" that might get some boost for having a better CPU on paper and taming upgrade itch.

Those two alone will give valid reasons for fiddling with a PC for most of us actually.

Caring1 and MrGenius say thanks.
  18. Smanci

Thanks Received:
    Frostbite 2/3 titles, GTA V are probably the most popular. Not only an FPS increase but smoother frametimes. Been there with this same upgrade.
    Again, at said price and current market value of a 3570K this is a no-brainer.

MrGenius says thanks.
  19. Rehmanpa

Thanks Received:
    If you can sell the i5 for almost enough I'd do it. But what are the rest of your system specs? Might be better to sell your system and build a new one

20. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i've got three 3550s and a 3770k - short answer is no, long answer is no.

all these chips cap out around 4.5ghz without delidding and high end cooling, and the performance gains are tiny with HT on vs off.

dont get me wrong 3770k is a great chip, but unless you're selling your old one and not spending a lot of cash all up, its not really worth it.

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. Vayra86

Vayra86

Thanks Received:
    Truth

This is all it really is, let's face it, otherwise how would you come across a deal like this (its not that good a deal btw, old part)

Do it only if you have time to waste.

You're essentially swapping a good quad core for a good quad core. And your current quad has a very decent OC.

rtwjunkie says thanks.
  22. trparky

trparky

Thanks Received:
    And here I was entertaining the idea of doing just that, swapping out my 3570k with the Core i7 equivalent. Damn. Now you're telling me that it would be useless to do so and that it would be simply wasting money. Damn.

And here I was thinking that more cores (or threads) would be better since well, let's face it, the multitasking load that we have now is much heavier than we had years ago. For instance, years ago most web browsers were single process affairs whereas today they are multi-process beasts chowing down on CPU cycles. Google Chrome is an example of said multi-process beasts. I have 11 Google Chrome tabs open in my browser right now with 24 Google Chrome sub-processes. Each time a process has to be swapped out and another swapped into the CPU you incur a performance penalty because it has to do a context switch which involves everything from flushing the cache, loading the cache with new data and priming the pipeline with new executable code, and then finally executing it. You lose performance when your processor does this and with as many processes and threads we have running on our systems today as versus just four years ago I have to wonder how much of a performance hit we're seeing because of it.

More cores and/or threads, even four more, could reduce the amount of context switching that a processor core has to do by 50%.

Last edited: May 26, 2017 at 3:25 PM
  23. SpartanM07

SpartanM07

Thanks Received:
    Yes, if you play similar games as myself. I upgraded from a 3570k to a 3770k when Assassin's Creed Unity came out all because the 3570k struggled while the 3770k did not. Off the top of my head current games where the 3770k makes a large difference (from personal experience):

Crysis 3
    Assassin's Creed Unity
    Dishonored 2
    Mass Effect Andromeda
    Watch Dogs 2
    GTA V

Average fps and more importantly (imo) minimum fps where higher with a 3770k. I also upgraded my RAM from 1600 CL9 to 2400 CL10 and that was also a noticeable upgrade with some games.

If you play similar games and if you can sale your 3570k, it'd be worth it to get the 3770k. If not, I'd just stick with what you've got and update to a newer AMD or Intel platform later this year.

24. peche

peche Thermaltake fanboy

Thanks Received:
    so do i ...

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. trparky

trparky

Thanks Received:
    Speaking of trying to purchase a 3770k, anyone know where one can be had without going second-hand?