• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Smart Homes, Home Security, and Privacy questions

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
Hello my fellow tech enthusiasts,

I recently moved into a new home and I am exploring smart home and home security options. I can't find any old threads or a specific sub forum that fits this topic, so I will ask my questions here.

I have shopped around a bit and read various reviews. I am still uncertain which choices to make, so any advice would be appreciated. I also am concerned about privacy.

Smart Home/Thermostat:
My power company offers a $75 rebate on most smart thermostats, which is a substantial discount for a $110-$220 product. It seems like all smart thermostats try to be the hub for a smart home setup. I looked up common ifttt configurations and none of them interest me. My home heating system is currently really simple, making the advanced smart thermostat features useless. I do like seeing the home temperature data they show. I am a bit of a data geek. I think given my current situation , buying the cheapest smart thermostat that my power company will provide a rebate for would be sufficient. I could be spending as little as $45 with tax on a smart thermostat.
QUESTIONS: What are your experiences with smart thermostats? Do you recommend a specific brand? Do you know of any cool ifttt or other smart home configurations?

Home Security:
I now live in a neighborhood where having cameras would be preferable. Two outdoor cameras, one at each entrance, should be sufficient. I was thinking a video doorbell and a camera above the backdoor would work well. Ring seems to be most popular brand, but Blue by Adt seems to be a good contender. Both of these options have the possibility of connecting with a smart thermostats to create a whole smart home ecosystem.
Questions: what do you think about video doorbells? Which brand do you prefer? Is there another home security options that I should consider?

Privacy:
I am concerned about privacy. I don't like the amount of data Google, Amazon, and others collect on me but it has become really hard to avoid these services. I feel like smart home devices would be another step deeper into the rabbit hole.
Question: What are your thoughts on privacy and smart home devices?

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
am concerned about privacy. I don't like the amount of data Google, Amazon, and others collect on me but it has become really hard to avoid these services. I feel like smart home devices would be another step deeper into the rabbit hole.
Then definitely avoid Ring then

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Don't know about smart home.

But when it comes to security cameras:

If you worry about privacy, make sure to pick a DVR that doesn't phone home.

Additional security option: American Pitbull OR Dogo Argentino OR Bullmastiff if you have little kids.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
My home heating system is currently really simple, making the advanced smart thermostat features useless.
That is not what smart thermostats are about. I really don't see their point unless everyone in the household is on the same schedule and that schedule is consistent. If you have people coming and going at different times throughout the day, a smart thermostat will not help. If everyone wakes up about the same time, leaves about the same time, returns home about the same time, and goes to bed about the same time, then a smart thermostat might be a good idea. But then a much less expensive "programmable" thermostat can serve the same purpose and save just as much money in energy costs.

One big advantage to a smart thermostat is you can access and control it with your smart phone from anywhere around the world. But then so can a bad guy - if your security is lax. I think that is a really cool feature that would quickly become ho-hum after the newness wore off. I mean if you have already programmed it, how often are you going to need to access it remotely to turn up the heat or down the AC?

Now if you have a sophisticated, zone HVAC in your home, a smart thermostat that can make sense when you enter and leave a room/zone and then adjust the temperature in that zone accordingly can be nice. But only if you have one or two people. If you there are several moving about the house, staying in a particular zone for just a few minutes here and there, it can end up costing you more. Why heat up or cool down an entire zone if you are only in it for 10 minutes? And to that, not sure I want any "smart" devices monitoring my every movement in my own home. I note those systems work in various ways - through GPS, geofencing, RFID, motion detectors, thermo-sensing, etc. Between the "floaters" in my eyes, and other "ghostly" creaks and cracks my 60 year old house makes all the time, I really don't need a bunch of electronic devices (and potential hackers behind them) watch me too!

Yeah, for data freaks, a smart thermostat can be informative, but so can the monthly utility bill. There are also stand-alone and affordable HVAC monitoring systems for home use - such as those offered by Eyedro.

IMO, if you are concerned about privacy (and I note you mentioned that twice!), having as few smart devices as possible is the only way to go.

If you have any windows that a bad guy can climb through without a ladder or without a buddy hoisting him, you will need a camera covering that area too.

Many "smart" security systems record to "the cloud" and can be accessed through your home network or some via cell systems. These can be costly. And note you need enough storage capacity to cover at least the total number of days you might possibly be gone. So if you might take a two week vacation, you want at least two weeks of video storage space.

The higher the resolution, the more clear the image - but the more disk space you will need - times the number of camera.

Don't forget battery backup.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Home security and "Ring" well lets review that

Home Security

and "Ring"

See what i done ( they should never be in the same conversation or sentence)

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Having worked with this stuff for a few years, I'm not even sure what to recommend as so many of these companies have come and gone in a very short period of time.

How adept are you at scripting? As that opens up some options in terms of a gateway.
Why am I suggesting a gateway? Because you can then have a device in your home that you control and that you can connect to remotely over a VPN, assuming you want to set one up at home if you don't already have one.

One option would be Samsung Smartthings, but imho it's pretty crap, although the latest version should be better.
Another option would be Vera https://getvera.com/
Their hardware is a bit antiquated compared to the competition, but they have a lot of 3rd party support.
It looks like they've gotten around to updating their app to something that looks usable, unlike their past efforts, but still far from great.

If you're more into taking the DIY route, this might be an option.
Alternatively https://www.openhab.org/
or https://www.home-assistant.io/
might be worth a look.

Outside of network based IP devices, for home, Z-Wave is the easiest to use, but you might want to consider ZigBee for lighting as there are far more products using ZigBee for lighting, that's assuming you go with smart bulbs instead of smart switches if this is something you want.

You can get a combined ZigBee and Z-Wave USB stick if you go down the DIY route

As for thermostats, not something I've really used, but I have played with a few, since we added support for them. Make sure you get one that's compatible with your HVAC system, as there are some differences here and not all systems work the same.

For cameras, don't buy the cheap Chinese crap, too many security holes, but I would also avoid D-Link, as they have a bunch of OEM/ODM partners that make their hardware for them and they have little control over the whole production. On top of that, D-Link's software is outright terrible.
Wyze are supposed to be ok for the price, but I don't have any experience with them.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Install some dummy cameras up high as a deterrent, and get a good DVR with small hidden cameras mounted low at entry points, as scum will wear a hoodie or cap and look down to avoid obvious cameras.

D

Deleted member 67555

I use Reolink Indoor/Outdoor Day/Night Wireless battery powered self contained storage 1080p camera's with 2-way communication.
You can even buy them with a solar panel and literally never have to do anything other than have a camera..
They even have a 3g/4g/LTE version(s)..
Network camera's of any kind are sweeeeet
But most suck with Roku...So Android, IOS or FireTV

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I have a Nest Thermostat-E and keep it off the network except a few days a year for it to get updates. Sadly, that means I can't interact nor track with it much because it's exclusively cloud-based. It is not running a local web server so you can't interact with it at all directly over the LAN.

I basically set it and forget it. It's sensing so if no one walks by it, it automatically eco-modes itself to save power.

Thermostats (all kinds) require taking the old one off the wall and checking what wires you have to work with to find out what will and won't work.

FYI, I thought I qualified for a rebate from my power company on the Thermostat-E but I did not because the rebate is only available to customers with gas heating. I'm all electric. Read that fine print!

The Thermostat-E, offline 99.9% of the time, is all I'm willing to tolerate because the power savings are real. It's not even associated with a Google/Nest account so there's no way to remote in to it in the few hours it's online.

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
Smart thermostats are fantastic, I own an Ecobee 3 light. As far as privacy goes, I'm not sure why anyone cares what temperature I keep my house at. I don't care if they know what my thermostat schedule is. If you know I have regular job, you can easily assume I will have a fairly regular schedule with regards to my thermostat settings. As far as security goes, I've been considering putting devices like that on their own Wi-Fi network separated from the PCs and such. Then the worst case if some hacks in, they could crank my heat or turn it off without my approval. I'll take my chances for the convenience of turning the heat down from my smart phone or glancing at the today's weather as I walk by my thermostat in the morning.

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
A little more information to go with the OP. I live alone with a semi predictable schedule. I have gas heating and no AC.

I have a Nest Thermostat-E and keep it off the network except a few days a year for it to get updates. Sadly, that means I can't interact nor track with it much because it's exclusively cloud-based. It is not running a local web server so you can't interact with it at all directly over the LAN.

I basically set it and forget it. It's sensing so if no one walks by it, it automatically eco-modes itself to save power.

Thermostats (all kinds) require taking the old one off the wall and checking what wires you have to work with to find out what will and won't work.

FYI, I thought I qualified for a rebate from my power company on the Thermostat-E but I did not because the rebate is only available to customers with gas heating. I'm all electric. Read that fine print!

The Thermostat-E, offline 99.9% of the time, is all I'm willing to tolerate because the power savings are real. It's not even associated with a Google/Nest account so there's no way to remote in to it in the few hours it's online.
I am on gas heating, but another company provides the gas, so I may not even qualify for the rebate. I am not sure if it worthwhile without the rebate. What kind of power savings are you seeing? The EPA says that you can save $180 a year.

I use Reolink Indoor/Outdoor Day/Night Wireless battery powered self contained storage 1080p camera's with 2-way communication.
You can even buy them with a solar panel and literally never have to do anything other than have a camera..
They even have a 3g/4g/LTE version(s)..
Network camera's of any kind are sweeeeet
But most suck with Roku...So Android, IOS or FireTV
How much did this setup cost? Where do your camera's record to?

I definitely won't touch ring then.

D

Deleted member 67555

How much did this setup cost? Where do your camera's record to?
They are $65 a camera, $120 for 2..If you buy the solar panel with the camera it's $15 more...$25 if decide to get it after.
They take up to a 64gb SD card and you get 7 days of incident uploads..recycles every 7 days..
I spent $300 for 4 cameras 2 solar panels and 4-64gb SD cards

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
They are $65 a camera, $120 for 2..If you buy the solar panel with the camera it's $15 more...$25 if decide to get it after.
They take up to a 64gb SD card and you get 7 days of incident uploads..recycles every 7 days..
I spent $300 for 4 cameras 2 solar panels and 4-64gb SD cards
Reolink may be a Chinese product but they seem to have decent hardware. It looks like I can fully turn off external sharing, making it local only. I may even be able to save more than 64gb by leveraging my 8tb file server.

Low quality post by R-T-B
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Additional security option: American Pitbull OR Dogo Argentino OR Bullmastiff if you have little kids.

I recommend a giant toad that eats people, but that's just me.

Last edited by a moderator:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I am on gas heating, but another company provides the gas, so I may not even qualify for the rebate. I am not sure if it worthwhile without the rebate. What kind of power savings are you seeing? The EPA says that you can save $180 a year.
Probably accurate but only if you're willing to let the temperature go relatively high in summer and relatively low in winter. Mine is set to: 64-76F (night), 67-77F (day). When I'm the only one home (eco) it is set for 50-85F. That's when you get serious money savings. I'll heat the room I'm in with an electric heater over running the furnaces and keeping the whole house warm. 50F is mostly so things don't freeze and 85F is so butter doesn't become a puddle (deforms to a /\ kind of shape though).

It automatically ecos itself if it doesn't detect movement past it for I think 4 hours.

The drop to 76F at night is to force the AC to run enough to dehumidify so people can sleep. Dry 77F is nice but wet 74F is hot. There's a lot of wet 74F right now because it hasn't gotten hot enough to trigger the AC yet to dry it out. Of course someone could *make* it run but that's monies.

Last edited:
Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
@R-T-B To be fair, I thought their post was fairly low quality compared to other high quality comments I have received. Linking a generic amazon page and recommending a dog is so very helpful :ohwell:

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
@R-T-B To be fair, I thought his post was fairly low quality compared to other high quality comments I have received. Linking a generic amazon page and recommending a dog is so very helpful :ohwell:

I don't have much to add though as I avoid smarthome stuff, so unfortunately, I'll be seeing myself out.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a general rule I don't trust anything "Smart Home" related. Manufacturers offer the user so very little in the way of actual fine-grained controls that you just can not trust them at all. I have a Refrigerator with "Smart" features, but the Wifi is completely disabled so it does nothing.

Reactions: hat

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
As a general rule I don't trust anything "Smart Home" related. Manufacturers offer the user so very little in the way of actual fine-grained controls that you just can not trust them at all. I have a Refrigerator with "Smart" features, but the Wifi is completely disabled so it does nothing.
I agree. Not sure why you would need a "smart" home. Why would you connect all that stuff to the Internet, potentially inviting malware? Heating and cooling are smart enough already. You put it where you want, it meets the conditions you set.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
As far as privacy goes, I'm not sure why anyone cares what temperature I keep my house at. I don't care if they know what my thermostat schedule is
First, they don't care what your thermostat schedule is, but they might care what your schedule. They might be able to determine what time everyone heads off to work or school every day, leaving home ready to break into. Also, some of those bad guys are really clever and because many IoT [so called] smart devices have been known to have very poor security features (and/or lazy and/or less savvy users who fail to setup security), the worry is bad guys may be able to hack your network (and main computers, or cloud accounts) through some of these devices.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X

Ok I lied, I do have something to add:

I had a vizio family tv in the family room I was looking to use as a monitor in a pinch. Reviews online said it supported chroma 444, but it turns out after setting it up, it did not any longer do so. They had removed that in a firmware "update" some 6 months ago that auto installed. Reviews are of course completely unaware of this.

Yeah, that's my IoT experience. Patching features out to make way for next years model: it's happened.

System Name Satan
Processor AMD 2700x with EK waterblock
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Pro
Cooling Custom open loop watercooled
Memory 16 GB Corsair Vengance RGB Pro @ 3466 Mhz
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt with EK full cover block
Storage Intel 660p 512 GB nvme Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB for storage SATA
Display(s) Viotek 32" curved 144 Hz 1440 P
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Corsair Rmx 750
Mouse Logitech G 602 wireless
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows 10 Pro
After just buying a new home myself, i am wanting to do the same thing as well. I am going to try to keep things as internal as possible with controlling of the system etc. I do know that i will use POE cameras, so they will be tied to my network via Ethernet/plenum Ethernet cat 5e/cat 6 etc. As far as a security system there is one already installed in the house that is network accessible so that shouldn’t be a issue hopefully. The the rest will be backed up with a 12 gauge with a nasty temper...:D

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
After just buying a new home myself, i am wanting to do the same thing as well. I am going to try to keep things as internal as possible with controlling of the system etc. I do know that i will use POE cameras, so they will be tied to my network via Ethernet/plenum Ethernet cat 5e/cat 6 etc. As far as a security system there is one already installed in the house that is network accessible so that shouldn’t be a issue hopefully. The the rest will be backed up with a 12 gauge with a nasty temper...:D
If it's a new cable installation, put in Cat 6A everywhere, at least if you're planning on living there for a while, since then you're ready all the way up to 10Gbps.
For the cameras, maybe consider something made in Taiwan? At least they tend to be a step up from Chinese kit, even though neither nation is what I'd call great when it comes to software.