• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Smoking Voids apple warranties!

Processor Intel Xeon x5660 (4.2ghz)
Motherboard Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 24gb (6x 4gb DDR3 1600) Kingston Hyperx
Video Card(s) XFX Black r290x 4gb ddr5 OC
Storage 6x 2tb 64mb WD drives, Patriot Pyro sandforce2 drive ,intel 180gb ssd
Display(s) HP w2558hc
Case Corsair Carbine 500r
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Pro Fatality
Power Supply XFX 750 watt
Mouse Thermaltake Theron ee Sports+
Keyboard Corsair Vengence k70 RGB Cherry Red
Software Windows 8.1 x64
unless you've just arrived in 2009 on a time machine, you know that smoking isn't good for you. Did you know, that smoking isn't good for your computer, either? It's true, at least according to Apple. Two readers in different parts of the country claim that their Applecare warranties were voided due to secondhand smoke. Both readers appealed their cases up to the office of God Steve Jobs himself. Both lost.

Back in April, Derek copied us on his e-mail to Jobs:

I took my mid 2007 apple macbook (black) into the Jordan Creek Apple Store in West Des Moines, Iowa, on Saturday, April 25th, because I had been experiencing some issues with it overheating, and figured the fan was bad. After some initial testing, they took the computer in for work under my Applecare plan, which has over a year remaining on it.

Today, April, 28, 2008, the Apple store called and informed me that due to the computer having been used in a house where there was smoking, that has voided the warranty and they refuse to work on the machine, due to "health risks of second hand smoke".

Not only is this faulty science, attributing non smoking residue to second hand smoke, on Chad's part, no where in your applecare terms of service can I find anything mentioning being used in a smoking environment as voiding the warranty.

Jobs' office did not help Derek, but he resolved some of the problems himself by disassembling his Macbook and cleaning it out with a can of compressed air.

A few months later, reader Ruth wrote to us with an identical complaint after trying to have her son's iMac repaired at a local authorized repair center

I bought an iMac for my son (for school) along with the extended Applecare warranty. A month ago, it quit working. My son took it to the authorized Mac service center. The "tech" informed him it would be ready in 48-72 hours. Five days go by and he's heard nothing, so I called. They informed me that his computer can't be worked on because it's contaminated.

When I asked for an explanation, she said he's a smoker and it's contaminated with cigarette smoke which they consider a bio-hazard! I checked my Applecare warranty and it says nothing about not honoring warranties if the owner is a smoker. The Applecare representative said they defer to the technician and my son's computer cannot be fixed at any Apple Service Center due to being listed a bio-hazard.

This computer cost approx. $3,000, with the extended warranty. I'm all for destroying cigarettes and putting big tobacco out of business (yes, I'm a reformed smoker), but to label a computer a biohazard because one is a smoker is going a bit too far in regulating who can have the warranty they purchased honored. Shouldn't there be some disclaimer stating that they won't honor warranties from smokers?

Ruth appealed her case to Steve Jobs's office, which also declined to repair the iMac. In another letter, she wrote:

Dena [from Jobs' office] did advise me that nicotine is on OSHA's list of hazardous substances and Apple would not require an employee to repair anything deemed hazardous to their health. However, OSHA also lists calcium carbonate (found in calcium tablets), isopropyl alcohol (used to clean wounds), chlorine (used in swimming pools), hydrogen peroxide (also used to clean wounds), sucrose (a sugar), talc (as in powder), etc... as hazardous substances.

Dena set up an appointment at the same Apple store. They told me that they would take pictures of the computer - both inside and out before determining whether to proceed and that if the only problem was the optical drive, they'd probably just replace it. Dena called me earlier this week to deliver the "bad news." She said that the computer is beyond economical repair due to tar from cigarette smoke! She said the hard drive is about to fail, the optical drive has failed and it isn't feasible to repair the computer under the warranty. This computer is less than 2 years old! Only one person in my household smokes - one 21 year old college student. She said that I can get it repaired elsewhere at my expense. I asked why my warranty didn't cover the repair and was told it's an OSHA violation

Consumerist has tried repeatedly to obtain some kind of answer about these two cases from Apple's media relations department, and we have received nothing on the record after months of waiting. Mostly, we're curious what the threshold is for smoke damage to a computer, and why this is not mentioned in the Applecare contract.

Wow. I am at a loss for words.

Do you know how many systems i have seen that have lived in a smokers house. Yes the dust is thicker, and anything white is yellow. But to date, i havent heard of a cigarette killing a pc.

Source
http://consumerist.com/5408885/smoking-near-apple-computers-creates-biohazard-voids-warranty

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Just another way to cut expenses. A lot of people are smokers, and that's a lot of warranties they don't have to honor.

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Though i hate smoking and smokers, this is plain bullshit...

System Name Dream Weaver
Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard B450 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling NH-D14
Memory 16GB Flare X @ 3200MHz CL14
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+
Storage 500GB evo 970 m.2 + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) ASUS 27" 1440p 144hz FreeSync
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Software Windows 10 x64
Just another reason to never buy an apple product (even though I don't smoke)

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Not letting my dad get near my iTouch anymore!

TheCrow

Processor Intel i7-930 @ 4.oghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage Gene III Extreme
Cooling Noctua NHU12F
Memory 6GB Kingston HyperX @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX560TI OC
Storage OCZ Agility 3 90GB SSD, 4x Seagate 500GB
Display(s) Acer 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Thermaltake Soprano VB1000BWS
Audio Device(s) Onboard XFI
Power Supply Corsair CX600V2
Software Windows Se7en 64 Extreme Edition
WOW!

Just another nail in the coffin of apple if you ask me. Why on earth anyone would even consider buying their products in the first place is beyond me.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
Hate to say it but I can agree with it.

So can anyone that has ever opened up a computer case from a heavy smoking household. The smoke sticks to it and it's sticky so the dust really piles in and stays, I doubt the tar film dissipates heat as well as copper.

Although on another side, it is kinda a dirty tactic to pull to save a few bucks.

troyrae360

System Name My Computer!
Processor AMD 6400+ Black @ 3.5
Motherboard Gigabyte AM2+ GA-MA790X DS4
Cooling Gigabyte G-Power 2 pro
Memory 2x2 gig Adata 800
Video Card(s) HD3870x2 @ 900gpu and 999mem
Storage 2x wd raid edition 120gig + 1 samsung 320 + samsung 250
Display(s) Samsung 40inch series6 full HD 1080p
Case NZXT Lexa
Audio Device(s) ALC889A HD audio with Enables a Superior Audio Experience (on board)
Power Supply Vantec ION2+ 550w
Software Vista Home pream 64
Apples are a fashion statment, as long as your sitting at a cafe with your apple youll look like you've got money, so weather or not the apple is actually working youll still look the part, just don't let anyone look at the screen,

so what you need to do in a situation where you apple isnt working is just take it down to the local coffee shop put it down on the table (you dont even have to open it) and it will still be serving its purpose :pimp:

Last edited:
System Name Addison Clark
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E-I Gaming
Cooling Custom Bykski loop CPU and GPU
Memory G.Skill DDR5-6000 64GB CL30
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master
Storage Kingston Fury 2TB and 4TB NVME
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Audio Device(s) Asus Hive
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000w SFX-L
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platnium
Software Win 11 Pro
I have now been smoke free for almost 6 months but I will say I feel for the customer..but feel for Apple at the same time. I never smoked in my house so I never had to deal with my own means causing issues because I feel my daughters health is alot more important than my "quick" fix but I've had systems at work that we had to clean and I couldn't stand cleaning other peoples tar covered systems. The biggest issue I had with cleaning them is how I would smell after, It's really bad now since the olfactory is working alot better:).

I do agree with what the mom said though about smoke damage on the apple being "Bio-hazard". That's just plain ridiculous:shadedshu

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Despite my dislike of Apple, I can kind of agree with them. Though saying it is because it is a biohazard is kind of lame.

They would have been better off just coming right out and saying they are doing it because smoking around electronics is bad for them. And after years of pulling apart computers to fix them, I can tell you that it is easy to spot the ones from heavy smokers(and crazy cat horders).

Heavy smoking can definitely cause problems, and IMO anything done by the user that causes problems with the computer shouldn't be covered under warranty.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Steve Jobs should be sued so hard he ends up a beggar. Just because HE has health problems... to fleece customers of extended warranty payments and then invent and defend an entirely bogus voiding of a warranty beggars belief. All because they dont live lives in HIS image.

So, KY jelly up the floppy would be OK. But a bit of dust in the computer isnt. Well bally-hoo to people that can afford to live in massive underfurnished dust free mansions. So not everyone lives in a dust-free oxygen tent? Well I never. What does the small print on the extended warranty say? Bow down to an icon of THE LEADER and wear only expensive lint-free black turtlenecks and never smoke and only eat rye grass and drink no alcohol and dont smoke not even just touching your lips but not inhaling and... and...

I have no respect for people or companies that dont give aftersales service. Even less respect when they encourage people to pay big$ for extended warranties where, at the outset, it was set up as a fleecing scam and no additional service or warranty was ever intended.

Bad bad bad. :shadedshu

Last edited:
System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
I remember reading my Playstation 2 Manual when I first got my PS2 (Phat) and it said to avoid somking near it to avoid damage to the PS2.

I guess its a fact, smoking does damage electrical equipment and any damage done by you to your devices shouldn't be covered unless its accidental. Tough Love.

Processor Intel Xeon x5660 (4.2ghz)
Motherboard Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 24gb (6x 4gb DDR3 1600) Kingston Hyperx
Video Card(s) XFX Black r290x 4gb ddr5 OC
Storage 6x 2tb 64mb WD drives, Patriot Pyro sandforce2 drive ,intel 180gb ssd
Display(s) HP w2558hc
Case Corsair Carbine 500r
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Pro Fatality
Power Supply XFX 750 watt
Mouse Thermaltake Theron ee Sports+
Keyboard Corsair Vengence k70 RGB Cherry Red
Software Windows 8.1 x64
I remember reading my Playstation 2 Manual when I first got my PS2 (Phat) and it said to avoid somking near it to avoid damage to the PS2.

I guess its a fact, smoking does damage electrical equipment and any damage done by you to your devices shouldn't be covered unless its accidental. Tough Love.

yeah tar + optical drive = bad. but it doesn't mean that it's going to do physical damage.

tar doesn't conduct electricity. it just makes killer dust balls.

I

InTeL-iNsIdE

Despite my dislike of Apple, I can kind of agree with them. Though saying it is because it is a biohazard is kind of lame.

They would have been better off just coming right out and saying they are doing it because smoking around electronics is bad for them. And after years of pulling apart computers to fix them, I can tell you that it is easy to spot the ones from heavy smokers(and crazy cat horders).

Heavy smoking can definitely cause problems, and IMO anything done by the user that causes problems with the computer shouldn't be covered under warranty.

Oh really, so should we all wrap our shiny pc's and macs in bubblewrap to stop them accumulating non smokers dust particles also because this is also caused by the user and by your way of thinking this voids the warranty also, or should we all have industrial clean rooms as offices otherwise any normal family household by your logic voids the warranty anyway.

Not related to newtekies quote btw but some people just need to go on a witch hunt for the sake of it, makes me laugh when all the non smokers get up in arms on their high horses about smokers, get over it. You have a choice dont smoke, dont fricken moan to me if I do or dont thats my business, and can smoking in a room cause a pc/mac to die??? no can it hell, unless you fall asleep with the goddam cigarette and burn the house down.

Apple are just fail anyway, I would never buy any junk from them, but its so shiney and white :D fick fick must resist the shiney whiteness :wtf:

BUCK NASTY

4P Enthusiust
System Name Main Rig
Processor AMD FX-4130 @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard ASUS M5A99X Evo
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB GSkill DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 970 Strix @ 1503Mhz Core
Storage Corsair Force 90gb SSD/ WD Caviar Blue 750gb
Display(s) ASUS 24" IPS
Case Coolermaster Centurion 590
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec TP750 80+
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Wow, when did they place "false" employee hazards above customer service? Sounds like they need to re-vamp their public relations machine. Gen1 ipod nano was the 1st and last Apple product I bought. I just feel sorry for the consumers caught in this loophole. Fail, Steve Jobs, Fail!:shadedshu

troyrae360

System Name My Computer!
Memory 2x2 gig Adata 800
Case NZXT Lexa
Audio Device(s) ALC889A HD audio with Enables a Superior Audio Experience (on board)
System Name Iam-a-computah
Processor i9 9900k @5 Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Auros z390x
Cooling Custom water loop, x2 280 radiators
Memory 16gb Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 TI FE 11gb WC
Storage SSD: 256gb Samsung 840pro & HHD: WD black 2T
Display(s) LG 34" UW screen
Case EVGA DG-86
Audio Device(s) Creative x-FI
Power Supply EVGA super NOVA 1300wtt
Keyboard G710
Software W 10
Just in case some of you guys never seen tar + dust in a PC, I will try to get some pics from my friend's GF computer [heavy a$$ smoker]. She pays me to clean her PC every two months because of the heavy dust/tar build-up, yuk.....I dont have any pics right now, but just picture brown thick steakie dust, all around the fans and stuck on the chips. Man thats stuff is not only lethal to human but to our beloved PCs too.

Dont smoke kids!:cool:

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Mouse Logitech G502x
Apples are a fashion statment, as long as your sitting at a cafe with your apple youll look like you've got money, so weather or not the apple is actually working youll still look the part, just don't let anyone look at the screen,

so what you need to do in a situation where you apple isnt working is just take it down to the local coffee shop put it down on the table (you dont even have to open it) and it will still be serving its purpose :pimp:

LOL same goes for my BMW I guess.

troyrae360

System Name My Computer!
Memory 2x2 gig Adata 800
Case NZXT Lexa
LOL same goes for my BMW I guess.

Lol yea, When i see a hot chick walking down the road first thing i do is find a nice looking porche or ferrari and lean on it like i own it, when they ask to go for a spin i simpily tell them i've had 1 drink to many and should'nt really drive but offer them a ride first thing in the morning after i've cooked them breakfast ;)

System Name Battle Station
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix x570-I
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 240
Memory Crucial DDR4-3200 32 GB
Video Card(s) 1 x Gigabyte RTX 4090
Storage Adata 1Tb NVME
Display(s) Samsung G9 Odyssey
Case Hyte Y60
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX + Ultrasone Pro 900 + JBL SLR 308 speakers and SLR 310 subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair SFX 750W
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard The rabbit hole of custom mechanical keyboards
Software Window 10 Ultimate x64
Lol yea, When i see a hot chick walking down the road first thing i do is find a nice looking porche or ferrari and lean on it like i own it, when they ask to go for a spin i simpily tell them i've had 1 drink to many and should'nt really drive but offer them a ride first thing in the morning after i've cooked them breakfast ;)

Does it ever work?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Kind of funny you would do that as I have a regular truck and get the laddies just fine and dandy. They find out what my other assets are heh, should see how big their eyes get.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
damn.... not surprised however, i have worked on machines that were literally coated with tar on the inside and were totally disgusting.

that was a machine that the owners had used the front dust filter as an ashtray however, so cases like that should be extremely rare.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
damn.... not surprised however, i have worked on machines that were literally coated with tar on the inside and were totally disgusting.

that was a machine that the owners had used the front dust filter as an ashtray however, so cases like that should be extremely rare.

They are, but I have seen plenty myself. I always used to ask the customers if their machine smoked, most the time I got funny looks and a "no, it's just got viruses I think".............. ....... ..... ...... ..... :toast:

Polarman

System Name Polar's Dragon
Processor AMD Phenom II 975BE
Motherboard MSI 890FXA-GD65 (Bios 18.7)
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9700 Led
Memory Gskill 8GB DDR3-1333 (8,8,8,21)
Video Card(s) MSI HD6870 Hawk
Storage WD Raptor 250 - WD RE4 500GB
Display(s) Samsung T240 (1920 X1200)
Case Silverstone Raven 2
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply PC Power&Cooling Silencer 750 (Red)
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit + SP1

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Oh really, so should we all wrap our shiny pc's and macs in bubblewrap to stop them accumulating non smokers dust particles also because this is also caused by the user and by your way of thinking this voids the warranty also, or should we all have industrial clean rooms as offices otherwise any normal family household by your logic voids the warranty anyway.

There is nothing the user can do about normal dust, it is expected.

However, there IS something the user can do about the extra dust and grime that is associated with smoking.

Normal wear and tear, this includes normal amounts of environmental dust, is acceptable. Extra wear and tear caused directly by the users actions is not.

Not related to newtekies quote btw but some people just need to go on a witch hunt for the sake of it, makes me laugh when all the non smokers get up in arms on their high horses about smokers, get over it. You have a choice dont smoke, dont fricken moan to me if I do or dont thats my business, and can smoking in a room cause a pc/mac to die??? no can it hell, unless you fall asleep with the goddam cigarette and burn the house down.

Yes, actually smoking can harm electronics, no matter how much you on your high horse want to deny it. Smoke particles not only amount to extra dust, which clogs vents, and gums up fans, but it is also sticky. Which adds to the problem. So you not only have extra dust, but that dust tends to stick to everything. This, obviously, can lead to overheating and premature death of electronics.

This isn't anything new actually, a lot of electronics manufacturers will not warranty products in smoking environments.

And most non-smokers have no problem if you want to smoke in your private home, but don't do it in public where they have to smell it and deal with the shitty smell. There are some places that smoking is acceptable, bars for example, and others where it is not, restuarants for example.